3 stars plus hh beat the bronies

wbbfan

Also, for anyone else wondering... within the 3-minute warning. (Before the end of 1st half, or in final 3 minutes) a time count violation results in

(1) If it is 1st or 2nd down, it results in either a loss of down, or a 10 yard penalty with the down repeated or

(2) If it is 3rd down, a loss of 10 yards.

The refs weren't trying to job us.

55 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Adam bighill's speed is not evaporating.  

I disagree with that statement.  Like alot. 

It isnt. He just isn't being put in a position to play to his strengths. He should be dropping back a lot on pass downs playing a shadow mid zone. He should not be blitzing a lot or playing sam. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It isnt. He just isn't being put in a position to play to his strengths. He should be dropping back a lot on pass downs playing a shadow mid zone. He should not be blitzing a lot or playing sam. 

He’s definitely being miss used playing Sam. Sure he can do it just fine.. but that’s not playing to his strengths. 

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He’s definitely being miss used playing Sam. Sure he can do it just fine.. but that’s not playing to his strengths. 

If he's playing hcf short zones lined up at an olb spot he can do that but not more and even then it's poor usage. 

We should've sat tobi and dressed an imp db. 

1. Liegghio - missed the extra point, which could have derailed the whole game, but came right back and did a great job. Even when McGuire iced him at the end, he still put it through.

2. Bighilll - he was everywhere tonight. He put pressure on everyone, everywhere he lined up. 

3. Jefferson - he broke up some key plays and put pressure on Maier.

HH - Nelson - I don't love the short gains but he does protect the ball. 

If we are going to coronate him with a game star, then we should at least spell his name right. 

It’s Liegghio (kudos JCon). He is star of the game for sure with the clutch field goals but also the punting which kept a driving Calgary offence on a long field all night. Kept them from score zone opportunities. 

Also Rasheed Bailey will shut up more than a few keyboard critics this week (I guess they haven’t coached enough high level football to see his potential before ragging on him) with some real clutch catches, especially on the final drive. His one drop can be forgiven. Guess we’ll need to find a new scapegoat this week to join LaPo and Nichols (they are still with the Bombers, right? They must be given the keystrokes spent ripping on them). 

3rd star to Harris for some nifty running, the TD, giving the run game some spark, and always gaining extra years after first contact. 

HH is for that little something extra, and although the Mike Jones/Adam Bighill botched 3rd down coverage turned fumble recovery was huge in the end result, give it to Mike Miller/Shane Gauthier for their downright vicious special teams play which pinned down the return game pretty much all night. 

1. Harris - just his presence.. the O put up some numbers even with several drops.. He was very solid 

2. Leggs - huge for the kids confidence 

3. Bailey - yup a drop but... came up big when it mattered 

HH - I'll go Gauthier for his big clean hits and strong tackling.  Say what you want about Gauthier and Briggs.. they don't miss tackles. 

Nobody on D really stood out... the Jeffs always bring it.. Biggie is what he is and that's a damn good player... Alford and Nichols aren't mentioned at all that's how good they have been. 

Edited by Goalie

We have to play the receivers closer than what we showed in this game...Allowing a newbie quarterback to play pitch and catch down the field brought back some painful memories....Ritchie better shore that up next game or we'll get butchered....As far as our offence goes....too many crucial drops by sure handed receivers....We need Demski back to open things up...Zack was throwing into a crowd a lot and it was lucky to not have them picked....Harris started strong...kind of dropped off the rest of the game...Too long a lay-off maybe?? Got to hand it to the kid kicker....didn't fold when it was all literally on the line..He'll only get better...I know he's got the tools...

Biggie......always plays big but in this one we really needed it

Bailey.....played like he's our no 1 go to guy...great game

Leggs...looked like a cool professional on that second attempt that gave us the lead..If anyone has been in that pressure packed moment when it's all on the line...you know what that kid was going through...solid 

25 minutes ago, Stickem said:

....too many crucial drops by sure handed receivers...

Oxymoron

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Whatever the opposite of a Happy Honker is to that awful excuse for a cheeseburger I didn't have the heart to force my 8 year old to choke down. Do better, Miller!

Silly rabbit, the Walby Burger is not for kids. 

44 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Harris started strong...kind of dropped off the rest of the game...Too long a lay-off maybe?

Defences are going to be zeroing in on Harris up the middle.

so maybe do something to take advantage of that. 

or maybe they did, and it did not work. 

playcallers here can help me. also, can the command centre overturn a call or play without being asked by ref or coach?

not sure Thats any good.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, Mark F said:

Defences are going to be zeroing in on Harris up the middle.

so maybe do something to take advantage of that. 

or maybe they did, and it did not work. 

playcallers here can help me.

A few happened. Harris was shredding their standard defense early, Cal adjusted with run blitzes and gap cancellation in running downs. We ran a few heavy set formations and their adjustments didnt beat it. But our passing offense is pretty limited with 3 wrs on the field. 

The 2nd quarter was the hole in our run game.  We ran harris 4 times for 8 yards with a long of 5 in the 2nd. Vs 5 for 37 and a td in the first quarter. The drops killed a couple drives in the 2nd quarter, and we fell into a rhythm of running 2nd and long plays on first down and 1st down short passes on 2nd.  (the plop approach). We got back into the run first scheme late in the 3rd 3 rushes for 23 yards. And 6 for 21 in the 4th. 

We needed better use of play action, and screen passes to force the calgary defense out of the box. And to run some off tackle stuff when they stack the box. Instead we ran right into the teeth of defensive adjustments in the 2nd quarter. Out side of that quarter harris went 14 for 73 which is over 5 yards per carry. And that included multiple runs back to back and late in the game into goal line defense. If we dont get into a funk with the drops and play calling harris probably has a monster game. 

He certainly didnt look tired or slow late in the game if any thing he ran angry after the stamps DL used him as a pull out mattress and had a nice long nap on him. 

We should add a shovel pass to the offense. Collaros looks great running and throwing on the run. Adding a power toss would be a great way to get harris out side of a stacked box in a hurry and on some DBs. The return of screen passes and release valve game would add alot, though they need to be faster screens. No one is falling for these  long slow developing screen plays of ours. Finally some better use of the play action and draw would open things up a lot. Teams will cheat for the run hard against us. We can use that to our advantage in a big way. 

With Harris back.....play action should be more effective, if used more often.   We are certainly not spreading out the opposing D, and making use of the full field, in the passing game.  The screen game needs some work.   Not sure what Buck is drawing up on the game plan, just yet.   These short throws to try and get somebody in open space.....have to be done much quicker.   Add those slow developing screens......and the overall tempo on O......is slow...

34 minutes ago, Mark F said:

playcallers here can help me. also, can the command centre overturn a call or play without being asked by ref or coach?

not sure Thats any good.

Yes, command centre can radio the ref at any time and say they have done/are doing a review. But as I understand it from the league directive, they only do so where there is a “clear” miss from the on-field crew that does not need slo-mo or multiple angles to detect. They will err on the side of “we’d rather live with the odd missed close call than disrupt the flow of the game and eliminate all human judgment”

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

With Harris back.....play action should be more effective, if used more often.   We are certainly not spreading out the opposing D, and making use of the full field, in the passing game.  The screen game needs some work.   Not sure what Buck is drawing up on the game plan, just yet.   These short throws to try and get somebody in open space.....have to be done much quicker.   Add those slow developing screens......and the overall tempo on O......is slow...

Its a far cry from the hurry up offense we'd run under plop when we got an offensive miss match. Our offensive tempo is stuck in NFL pre season mode. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yes, command centre can radio the ref at any time and say they have done/are doing a review. But as I understand it from the league directive, they only do so where there is a “clear” miss from the on-field crew that does not need slo-mo or multiple angles to detect. They will err on the side of “we’d rather live with the odd missed close call than disrupt the flow of the game and eliminate all human judgment”

Iirc they can only review plays during stoppages. They arent stopping games in the flow any more. So injuries, scores, turn overs etc are automatically reviewed. 

I never heard that they went back to using slow mo n such, But I believe this year they clearly are. Other wise especially a play like adams touched touch down wouldnt be possibly to even consider over turning. I dont think the CC is executing their job well this year. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Its a far cry from the hurry up offense we'd run under plop when we got an offensive miss match. Our offensive tempo is stuck in NFL pre season mode. 

Iirc they can only review plays during stoppages. They arent stopping games in the flow any more. So injuries, scores, turn overs etc are automatically reviewed. 

I never heard that they went back to using slow mo n such, But I believe this year they clearly are. Other wise especially a play like adams touched touch down wouldnt be possibly to even consider over turning. I dont think the CC is executing their job well this year. 

Was not sure about the stoppage rule, thought that might include any break between plays. Last attended the pre-season “ref” session in 2019 and that’s how they explained it then, so the rules may have been tweaked since then. Did not know they ever went away from using slow motion, but with game flow the idea is to not need the slow mo to confirm a bad call and upend the red’s on field call, unless egregious or from an automatic on-field challenge situation. But your last point is well taken, their work has been below par this year. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Was not sure about the stoppage rule, thought that might include any break between plays. Last attended the pre-season “ref” session in 2019 and that’s how they explained it then, so the rules may have been tweaked since then. Did not know they ever went away from using slow motion, but with game flow the idea is to not need the slow mo to confirm a bad call and upend the red’s on field call, unless egregious or from an automatic on-field challenge situation. But your last point is well taken, their work has been below par this year. 

Right now I think the refs have hurt the most from the missed season. Most every game just has atrocious flow and we arent seeing consistency. I dont care if this is holding or thats holding, or pi etc, as long as its called consistently play to play game to game and week to week. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Right now I think the refs have hurt the most from the missed season. Most every game just has atrocious flow and we arent seeing consistency. I dont care if this is holding or thats holding, or pi etc, as long as its called consistently play to play game to game and week to week. 

And tons more flags this year it feels like. Wonder if a crackdown was quietly ordered in the off-season? Some new crews as well so they need time to gel. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

And tons more flags this year it feels like. Wonder if a crackdown was quietly ordered in the off-season? Some new crews as well so they need time to gel. 

For part of week 1 I thought they were just gonna let a lot go. Then down came the hammer. Idk if it was an over reaction or always planned. But I wouldnt be surprised to see it change again after LDC. 

They do have a bunch of new bodies working together so yeah it should get better with time.