GDT - Week 4 - The Stamps (1-2) @ The Champs (2-1)

JCon

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

We really miss Richardson i think. Sayles and Thomas arnt getting it done in the middle. Thomas looks cooked and Sayles has been invisible except for his one sack 3 games ago.

Sayles and walker did as much as any DT could. Both had big TFLs tnite and sayles had a big one last week. Walker had 2 qb pressures tonight too. Both weeks the teams got rid of the ball before they could really do any thing.  Same as the ends. When we stopped the stupid fronts we started getting pressures.

100% of the problem is the defensive play call. We put bighill at sam, and put all our front 7 on the line. If the O can create a gap, which zone blocking is good at, the runner has a straight path to the secondary. 

15 minutes ago, Plaxico said:

I saw a clear touch to the helmet as he went down, looked obvious on the first replay. Why are people saying this? What am I missing?

The touch was before he was down, it doesnt count as a downed player. It wasnt even close. You have to touch the guy once hes down. Calgary didnt do that. 

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Gauthier and Briggs have been fine.  We got gashed when we ran everyone up into the line and when Bighill forgot how to run when we stuck him over center.

Again - I will use the response that Richie Hall tends to put his LBs on the DL when he feels they do not have closing speed... we saw it time and again with Pierre Luc Labbe, etc...

I can almost guarantee that once Wilson and Johnson are back - we will almost never see them both on the line 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

How can you challenge it?  They already went to video review to make the call.  He'd get a penalty if he did.

A few years ago, Rick Campbell challenged a play that had already been reviewed, and they reviewed it again with the same result. No penalty called, but they're not going to change their mind after making their decision based on the same review angles, right or wrong.

19 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Got a little lucky too on that last Calgary drop, when Jeffcoat's arm/hand hit Maier in the head/face. Seen that called many times.

Absolutely. I wanted the camera to pan to Dickenson and watch him meltdown, knowing he didn't have a time out left to challenge the no-call.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Again - I will use the response that Richie Hall tends to put his LBs on the DL when he feels they do not have closing speed... we saw it time and again with Pierre Luc Labbe, etc...

I can almost guarantee that once Wilson and Johnson are back - we will almost never see them both on the line 

Labbe was gone 3 years before Richie Hall came here.

We constantly blitz our LB's on run downs.  Doesn't matter who they are.  It's kind of an all or nothing strategy and Hall has employed it regularly yes.

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Jake saw very very few reps tnite. We went with briggs and gauthier with walker and sayles a TON. Tobi antigha was even in at dt and end a bunch. 

dont know how you guys can see this stuff... too fast for me and too many piles of players, and guys in and out. 

well done

Right now, I dont think we have a reliable receiver on the active roster.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Gauthier is decent in the middle, at least he's going to hit something and finish plays.  He's got great closing speed too.

Hed be pretty ideal as an ILB in a 30 front system. He could develop into a regular starter, a ratio breaker but in our system idk I think a guy like roc fits better. 

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Lawler needs to get over the case of the droppsies or he’s gonna be droppsied off the team. 

Hes the best wr on our team by a country mile right now, no risk of that happening. He dropped 1 pass. Darvin has dropped twice as many as him in half the games. 

Just now, Mark F said:

dont know how you guys can see this stuff... too fast for me and too many piles of players, and guys in and out. 

well done

Un fortunately due to uncontrollably circumstances i cant go to games so im nerding it out with 2 screens

Just now, Floyd said:

Demski seems to be the guy most in sync with Collaros... could use him back too

Demski was having a great year aside from the usual demski stuff here n there, and is critical in how we stretch the field laterally to open passing and running lanes. Hope hes healthy soon. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Hed be pretty ideal as an ILB in a 30 front system. He could develop into a regular starter, a ratio breaker but in our system idk I think a guy like roc fits better. 

Hes the best wr on our team by a country mile right now, no risk of that happening. He dropped 1 pass. Darvin has dropped twice as many as him in half the games. 

By my count Lawler has dropped 5 in the last two games, Bailey 4 although one would have been a great catch.  Adams dropped a TD in Toronto and none tonight but wasn't targeted downfield.

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Gauthier is decent in the middle, at least he's going to hit something and finish plays.  He's got great closing speed too.

I'll be sold once he actually breaks up a play... until then, closing speed after a 9-10 yard gain is kind of pointless

We have a lot of guys who can hold the other team to a 9-12 yard gain...  

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

By my count Lawler has dropped 5 in the last two games, Bailey 4 although one would have been a great catch.  Adams dropped a TD in Toronto and none tonight but wasn't targeted downfield.

Youre being too hard on wrs then expecting them to make catches in tripple coverage. Id put him at 3. And adams had more last week alone. 

Its not like permanent wienke mode or madden. A pass can be incomplete in your catch radius and not be a drop. The drop tnite where he tried to body catch concerns me a lot though. Im seeing a lot of our guys trying to body catch. They may not be getting enough juggs time / reps during the week. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Youre being too hard on wrs then expecting them to make catches in tripple coverage. Id put him at 3. And adams had more last week alone. 

Its not like permanent wienke mode or madden. A pass can be incomplete in your catch radius and not be a drop. The drop tnite where he tried to body catch concerns me a lot though. Im seeing a lot of our guys trying to body catch. They may not be getting enough juggs time / reps during the week. 

If he has two hands on it and puts it on the turf it's a drop.  That's all of Lawler's, 2 tonight, 3 last week.  Drops with his hands in open field, drops going down to the turf.  Still makes lots of plays, but a lot more out there.  I blame the receivers less for the drops in the mid range game because Collaros throws heat and doesn't really put any touch on those balls when he's set in the pocket.

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lawler had at least 2 in the hands and dropped them. I believe there was 3 drops in total and a few last week. Those are the ones you gotta catch. If they are thrown behind him or at his feet and bouncing off the hands trying to make a tough catch I’d give him a break. He does make some great catches don’t get me wrong. But he needs to hang on to those easy ones. 

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If he has two hands on it and puts it on the turf it's a drop.  That's all of Lawler's, 2 tonight, 3 last week.  Drops with his hands in open field, drops going down to the turf.  Still makes lots of plays, but a lot more out there.  I blame the receivers less for the drops in the mid range game because Collaros throws heat and doesn't really put any touch on those balls when he's set in the pocket.

Not if its at your ankles, or a few footballs behind your body. Superior size and athleticism allow guys to make plays look closer than they were. And also, double or triple cover. Even if you touch it its not a drop. Or if the db is on you with hands inside your arms. You can touch it, but its not a drop. 

Collaros does throw the short stuff like its a 50 yard bomb. Which especially on come backs isnt easy. That can contribute to croc arms. 

14 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Lawler had at least 2 in the hands and dropped them. I believe there was 3 drops in total and a few last week. Those are the ones you gotta catch. If they are thrown behind him or at his feet and bouncing off the hands trying to make a tough catch I’d give him a break. He does make some great catches don’t get me wrong. But he needs to hang on to those easy ones. 

He had 2 badly behind him last week and one nearly bounce. All our wrs do. But when lawler and woli are having trouble, and all the wrs are having trouble its not talent or one or two guys. We have larger problems contributing to the drops. 

8 minutes ago, coach17 said:

Pretty sure Adams shoulder is still messed up, or got redinged. Was favouring, going through the motions and blocking with the right arm only after the first quarter. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the injury list next week.

I believe it. He has been a fraction of the player he normally is in his 2 games. Id rather they get him healthy than he play banged up. 

22 minutes ago, Mark F said:

why are they so well covered. field is big, someone should be open. I dont get it.

We dont use patterns to create openings. We dont attack the middle or the seams and we havent been using play action well which is what we normally depend on. We have been massively reliant on outs and come back routes and at this point every team knows it. The same way our slow developing screen game seldom yields big plays.