Week 3 Practice Notes & Discussions

M.O.A.B.

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As per Bob Irving on the last game radio broadcast.... O'Shea likes Nelson because he goes North South and is secure with the football. 

He isn't really a North South guy though. Not this year. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Nelson stutter-steps himself into getting tackled. He never goes. 

The best returners just go. 

This. 

I had high hopes for him but he's been soo indecisive and un effective. 

With Grant out the loss of lucky stings twice as much. 

Did I screw it up... I thought North South was a guy who catches the ball and runs straight up.   The opposite of a Keith Stokes who would go side line to side line looking of a hole to break through which at times pays off but other times it results in lost yardage.

I'm pretty sure Nelson is told to catch and go straight and take whatever you get without dropping the ball.

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Did I screw it up... I thought North South was a guy who catches the ball and runs straight up.   The opposite of a Keith Stokes who would go side line to side line looking of a hole to break through which at times pays off but other times it results in lost yardage.

I'm pretty sure Nelson is told to catch and go straight and take whatever you get without dropping the ball.

Nelson is decent at getting 7-8 yards where it looks like he might get 2-3, but he is not as aggressive at hitting the holes as Grant. But he doesn’t dance around a lot and lose yards trying to break one outside, so that is a positive. As for the ball security, he did bobble one catch but got it back quickly enough. However, Grant has not fumbled away any kick or punt returns in his time here either, so he is no less secure and is more of a threat. Nelson is serviceable but at this point is not stealing that starting job any time soon once Grant is healthy. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nelson is decent at getting 7-8 yards where it looks like he might get 2-3, but he is not as aggressive at hitting the holes as Grant. But he doesn’t dance around a lot and lose yards trying to break one outside, so that is a positive. As for the ball security, he did bobble one catch but got it back quickly enough. However, Grant has not fumbled away any kick or punt returns in his time here either, so he is no less secure and is more of a threat. Nelson is serviceable but at this point is not stealing that starting job any time soon once Grant is healthy. 

I saw a lot of dancing around from Nelson in the last 2 games. 

Grant has fumbled once (if not twice) in his first game, if I recall it correctly. 

3 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I saw a lot of dancing around from Nelson in the last 2 games. 

Grant has fumbled once (if not twice) in his first game, if I recall it correctly. 

Yep. From what I remember, he had 2 punt returns for touchdowns at home against Calgary in the 1st half, but then also fumbled late in the first half trying to do too much.

Yeah the knock on Grant has always been ball security.  The Sun talked about it a bit when he re-signed in February.  Nelson does look more indecisive so far this year... I wonder if his past injuries are a part of that?

Grant fumbled the ball three times on returns with Winnipeg, losing one. That was his undoing in a brief NFL stint with Baltimore in 2018, when he fumbled twice in two games.

Record-setter Grant back in Bombers' fold | Winnipeg Sun

23 hours ago, Goalie said:

Oliviera is solid but Harris is next level.. blocking running and catching.. the perfect release valve for Collaros.  Brady has yet to show he can be that release valve 

Harris was the MOP of the last CFL season and there was no one even close really. I love me some Brady, and love we have a legit contender for replacing Harris when his time is up, but to suggest that there is little drop off between him and Harris is a bit of an exaggeration. Harris is waaaaay better unless he has really dropped off.

Nelson is not much of a PR. He is decent on KRs. Grant is a bonafide threat though, he makes our return game dangerous.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

You got that bit right. Nelson is just tentative. A North South guy gets the ball and goes straight down field. Nelson dances but Keith stokes like like a South guy lol. He ran backwards as soon as he caught the ball. 

Marvin Coleman in the end stages of his career is the quintessential north south saftey returner. He wasn't a td threat any more but he caught every thing in the air and ran straight down field. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

The most important thing. 

Security Is always tops. But a close 2nd for me is catching every ball in the air possible. 15 yard no yards is huge to tack on. 

40 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah the knock on Grant has always been ball security.  The Sun talked about it a bit when he re-signed in February.  Nelson does look more indecisive so far this year... I wonder if his past injuries are a part of that?

Record-setter Grant back in Bombers' fold | Winnipeg Sun

100 percent. 19 was actually really good for him for ball security but he still dropped it a couple times.  

The thing about dangerous return men in the cfl is you have to kick differently to them. A guy like Nelson you can kick the snot out of the ball right down the middle and cover to spots. A guy like Grant you have to kick to a side line and with in your coverage. When you see Nelson at maybe 10 yards per return and grant at say 15 it's not just a 5 yard difference. The way teams kick to a Grant makes it more of a 20 yard difference. Plus the danger of a big return. It also shortens the other teams fg range. 

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Harris was the MOP of the last CFL season and there was no one even close really. I love me some Brady, and love we have a legit contender for replacing Harris when his time is up, but to suggest that there is little drop off between him and Harris is a bit of an exaggeration. Harris is waaaaay better unless he has really dropped off.

Nelson is not much of a PR. He is decent on KRs. Grant is a bonafide threat though, he makes our return game dangerous.

I honestly think the next 2 closest MOP candidates were willy and medlock. 

Brady is a stud. You could ask for much more from a ni rb prospect. If he had top end speed he'd be on an NFL active roster. But Harris in the run pass game is some thing else. And he's about as powerful as you see a guy who can score from 50 yards out. 

Nelson has actually struggled more on ko returns. 20 yards is replacement level. He's been catching it near his goal line too which should give him extra yards. If he doesn't get it going vs regular ko legs the yards will drop off even more. 

2 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I would def agree on catching the ball on the air... I know Jovon Johnson always used to let it bounce which drove me insane. If you're back there... You should have good enough hands to catch it on the fly. The Argos in the last game got flagged a few times for no yards and it definitely helped with field position.

Yeah I loved jj but in general I don't like db return men. He was stokes esq in that he only looked to break big ones. A great return man has to have balance. 

If it wasn't for the no yards we would have been in a big st yardage hole. 

I'm also not sold in legghio as a kick off guy. Maybe he's trying to kick it to coverage but the 15 is about as deep as he gets it. If we had medlock or similar elite kicker ko guy we put up 30 in each of the games this year. 

12 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Bauming hinting Wolitarsky maybe out this week. And if that's the case, Stewart might draw into the lineup. 
We started 8 Cdn last week, Briggs being the 8th. He will start again this week. 

Thatd be brutal. It'd be nice to see Stewart and agudosi in at some point. Hope woli is healthy soon. 

11 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Darvin being limited is not a good sign.

it's just a note on the sheet...he was listed as that all week, but was practicing fully with the 1s all week. He'll be good. I'm encouraged by how much Harris has been working, and expect him to be in next week for the LDC....

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's just a note on the sheet...he was listed as that all week, but was practicing fully with the 1s all week. He'll be good. I'm encouraged by how much Harris has been working, and expect him to be in next week for the LDC....

He was listed as full yesterday, I believe, but I hope you’re right.  Would be great to have him back in the lineup.  Harris will be huge as well.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He was Full the last 2 practice. I think he will be in. But wouldn't be surprised if they sit him for one more week. Wouldnt mind to see either Stewart and Agudosi.  

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I just don't think they would have given him all those 1s reps (and taken them away from another REC who could have used them to get ready) if they didn't think he was going to play. I mean, anything can happen, but I'm betting he plays Saturday....

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I just don't think they would have given him all those 1s reps (and taken them away from another REC who could have used them to get ready) if they didn't think he was going to play. I mean, anything can happen, but I'm betting he plays Saturday....

Yeah we have a few new guys that could really use the reps. If he's been with the 1s all week I'm sure he will start. Especially with woli out. Because of that I'm sure adams would go if at all humanly possible. 

Adams and woli are next level blockers. We have been using trips and big sets more under buck than with plop. If woli is out Adams can be the wr who seals the edge like he normally does. If both are out that'd be rough. 

40 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

He was Full the last 2 practice. I think he will be in. But wouldn't be surprised if they sit him for one more week. Wouldnt mind to see either Stewart and Agudosi.  

Bombers made some roster adjustments today. McKnight is now on the practice roster. Stewart has been moved from injured to the practice roster but may get moved to the active roster tomorrow.

And Kevin Brown is now on the active roster.

Edited by WinnipegGordo

10 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Bombers made some roster adjustments today. McKnight is now on the practice roster. Stewart has been moved from injured to the practice roster but may get moved to the active roster tomorrow.

And Kevin Brown is now on the active roster.

I think it'll be a shoot out of who is best this week for Stewart and agudosi probably Stewart. And I'm sure brown will draw In for teams play. 

I wonder if we will see Antigha get some d reps soon. If not at some point I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in another imp lber. 

I think the most important thing for this week is on the line. Our o'line in particular had a very rough night last week and has to be better.

There were many times last week that Toronto shot themselves in the foot...or feet at times. Penalties and poor play from MBT and Arbuckle. Personally I'm worried about the game this week. Could be a close one!