Canadian Men's Hockey Team - Beijing Olys 2022

Noeller

I'd put money on NHL players being able to participate in the Winter Olympics. The 2021-22 regular season schedule includes a break from Feb. 7th to 22nd but there are a lot of moving parts:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-announces-2021-22-regular-season-schedule/c-325741704

Olympic Break: No final agreement or decision has been made to this point regarding the possible participation of NHL Players in the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. Talks remain ongoing. Subject to reaching agreement with the NHL Players' Association and the International Ice Hockey Federation on all outstanding issues, including appropriate COVID-19 insurance for NHL Players, the League has agreed, per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, to pause from Feb. 7-22, 2022 to accommodate NHL Player participation in the Olympic Games. The NHL and the NHL Players' Association will retain full authority to decide not to participate should COVID-19 conditions worsen or otherwise pose a threat to the health and safety of NHL Players, or for any other reason that may warrant such decision. In the event NHL Players participate in the 2022 Winter Olympics, the NHL regular season will resume on Wednesday, Feb. 23. If, for whatever reason, there is no NHL Player participation in the Olympics, a revised Regular Season schedule will be released which, to the greatest extent possible, will adopt the dates and games reflected in the schedule contemplating Olympic participation.

Here's hoping the pandemic doesn't throw a wrench into these plans.

34 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can think of a million places I'd rather be than Beijing in February for a lot of reasons from climate, pollution to politics. I wonder how many players will turn down an invite?

Zero. The biggest reason the players signed the last CBA was because the owners agreed to let them play in the Olys again. Every player DESPERATELY wants to play in the Olys. 

51 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can think of a million places I'd rather be than Beijing in February for a lot of reasons from climate, pollution to politics. I wonder how many players will turn down an invite?

Doesn't sound like you know much about Beijing. And what NHL player would ever turn down the opportunity to play for his country at the Olympics?

30 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Doesn't sound like you know much about Beijing. And what NHL player would ever turn down the opportunity to play for his country at the Olympics?

I know I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to kidnap an NHL player & charge them with espionage to put pressure on Canada in the Meng Wenzhou case. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I know I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to kidnap an NHL player & charge them with espionage to put pressure on Canada in the Meng Wenzhou case. 

Sure, if the tinfoil hattery path is to be considered... But that has **** all to do with Beijing's climate or pollution, to be sure.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

A player making millions who doesnt want to jeopardize his career on a 0 pay tournament?

Who was the last NHL player to turn down an opportunity to participate in the Olympics?

• 3 months later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-hockey-team-olympics-1.6251852

The president of the International Ice Hockey Federation is warning that China's men's ice hockey team could be pulled from the Beijing Olympics because it is not competitive enough and would be beaten badly if forced to face off against powerhouse teams like the United States and Canada, which will be stacked with NHL stars.  

Luc Tardif, president of the IIHF, made the comments to Reuters in Toronto on Tuesday, adding that the Norwegian hockey team is ready to be added to the Olympic tournament if China is pulled out. 

A final decision is expected Nov. 25.

• 1 month later...

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/15568

NEW YORK (Dec. 22, 2021) – With the National Hockey League’s regular-season schedule having been materially disrupted as a result of increasing COVID cases and a rising number of postponed games, the National Hockey League announced today that NHL Players will not participate in the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.

“The National Hockey League respects and admires the desire of NHL Players to represent their countries and participate in a ‘best on best’ tournament. Accordingly, we have waited as long as possible to make this decision while exploring every available option to enable our Players to participate in the 2022 Winter Olympic Games,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “Unfortunately, given the profound disruption to the NHL’s regular-season schedule caused by recent COVID-related events -- 50 games already have been postponed through Dec. 23 -- Olympic participation is no longer feasible. We certainly acknowledge and appreciate the efforts made by the International Olympic Committee, the International Ice Hockey Federation and the Beijing Organizing Committee to host NHL Players but current circumstances have made it impossible for us to proceed despite everyone’s best efforts. We look forward to Olympic participation in 2026.

“Our focus and goal have been and must remain to responsibly and safely complete the entirety of the NHL regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs in a timely manner. Therefore, with stringent health protocols once again in place, we will begin utilizing available dates during the Feb. 6-22 window (originally contemplated to accommodate Olympic participation) to reschedule games that have been, or may yet be, postponed.”

• 4 weeks later...