TSN new look - Bomber banner issue

PolarBear

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Not a huge fan of Beirness but I'm a huge fan of diversity and it's great to see a woman hosting the panel. Good on her. Don't love Sanchez, but am a big fan of Milt and Dunigan for sure. 

Bierness in studio allows Rod Smith to do play by play exclusively. Suspect he will be the number 2 guy as Black moves to number 1. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 hours ago, PolarBear said:

lol. The voice sets the tone. Nothing less and nothing more. Do you really wait to see what the announcer says for confirmation? Names and #'s and yardage is irrelevant. Like maybe you haven't watched sports long enough but certain fans complain about things like this and its nonsense. Every announcer even the best Cuthbert or Wittman made mistakes. Who cares. The voice is everything

Majority of all hardcore sports broadcasters across the country and even in the USA said they loved Rod Black and the production. So there is that.

Sportsgrid had 2 hrs of coverage of the game and they were very impressed. Also Rod Black bashing is just stupid. He is literally one of the best in the business. Go find someone better, you wont. People in the USA hate Joe Buck. Even Jim Nantz is overrated but he has the voice and his tone is refreshing.

MLB radio announces are the best cause of the tone they use and majority have a powerful southern voice which comes booms across the radio similar to Keilback

You are wrong on a lot of accounts. Rod Black is great! Watch last nights preseason game for the nfl? same stuff. You people whining about yard and distance and one liners. lol i dont even know what to say. 

Sorry. Rod. Black. Sucks. 

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Kate Bierness is great, brought a lot of life to a somewhat tired group. matt looking a bit weary.

Has Matt put on weight or is it just the camera angle?

16 hours ago, JCon said:

I mean, if I wasn't going to block this garbage beforehand, I certainly am now. 

Imagine the gall of telling someone in the industry what constitutes good and bad. Height of arrogance and ignorance. 

I have a relative that works for HNIC. I read Scott Moore letter to the staff when he was brought on to Rogers regarding seeking emerging talent and it was regarding 'looking for the next voice' They don't even care what words you say, its the voice.

Denis Beyak was fired from FOX in the '90s during his trial with them (look it up) So they had to use Kenny Albert more.  They brought in Schulman who is Canadian simply to replace Brent Musburger doing Big 12 Basketball cause of the tone of his voice was perfect for replacing a similar tone Musberger.

Bob Cole was hired because of his voice. Read his book.

Bill Walton was hired and fired 20 times before he made it to NBC. Only reason why he kept being brought on was because he said he had the voice but had to learn to overcome his speech problem

Joe Buck was working with FOX on the D team and they told him his voice wasn't good enough so he took training on his vocals for an entire year. 

So yes I would consider myself knowledgeable with this situation. If arrogance means being educated then I have one big time ego.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, TSN was back to the same camera angles they always had. I guess it's a one time shot. No drones or automated camera. Should have known TSN is too cheap to invest in new technology to make the broadcasts better. I have to admit, I was disappointed. 

They use the exact same production as their hockey production. 

You heard it here first guys. Doesn't matter what you say so long as you sound good saying it. This according to a guy that claims to know someone who works for HNIC. Pack it in Noeller, your decades of first hand experience are nothing next to the anecdotes of a guy that knows a guy.

Edited by MOBomberFan

I'm not a fan of diversity hirings cause its just wrong. You hire the best for the position. There are only 2 people within the company that could or should do the job and its her or Duthie.

Kate has experience hosting CFL and she is a pure fan of the league and sport. This was not a diversity hiring it was 100% on qualifications.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

A voice is like being a 6'4 athletic as all hell receiver  it gets you a lot of chances but ultimately it's not the only thing you need. You actually have to be good at what you do.

Voice leads and will always lead the way. I get what you are saying but how hard is it after the voice? Less is more in broadcasting. Collaros back to pass, has Adams, and he drops the ball. Thats it.

Now if you listen to Bob Irving doing radio he has the voice and tone. He makes what all of you call Rod Black mistakes. He at times is horrible, but could care less cause all he has to do is just let me know if it was a run or pass and how many yards the play was and what down and distance. EASY!

On TV its totally different. And the tone of the voice is the most important part of tv play by play cause you are watching the game and you should already know who has the ball and what down/distance.

55 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

You heard it here first guys. Doesn't matter what you say so long as you sound good saying it. This according to a guy that claims to know someone who works for HNIC. Pack it in Noeller, your decades of first hand experience are nothing next to the anecdotes of a guy that knows a guy.

you mean someone's experience matters?

Like 20 years working in the science field and working with ebola virus and sars? hmm that sounds like me.  :)

Clearly you have your own opinion and you could be doing the hiring for a network and if we competed your broadcasting coverage would be inferior to mine. People are in the business that actually do the hiring have different views. CBS, CBC, RSN, FOX,etc - 

Just remember people didn't give a ratz about Curt Keilback cause he was good at one liners or how well he followed the play (average at best) it was his voice. Just ask Curt who I know very well and his son. Everywhere he goes people go up to him and say ''your voice was my childhood. Your voice made jets hockey'' -- it wasn't '' Curt i loved your one liners, or the wrap around''

If you don't believe me just ask him.

15 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Now if you listen to Bob Irving doing radio he has the voice and tone. He makes what all of you call Rod Black mistakes. He at times is horrible, but could care less cause all he has to do is just let me know if it was a run or pass and how many yards the play was and what down and distance. EASY!

And you are wrong. It's not the voice that makes Bob Irving a ******* legend. It's the way he calls the game. I mean **** rod black has a great voice for it but he's still dogshit. 

My assessment, you don't know what you're talking about and mistake voice for actual talent calling the game. 

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

A voice is like being a 6'4 athletic as all hell receiver  it gets you a lot of chances but ultimately it's not the only thing you need. You actually have to be good at what you do.

100%.

Listen - here's an absolute broadcasting truth: There's a lot of subjectivity to it, as far as what people enjoy. I don't want to go so far as to say "everyone's ears are different..." but some people are just looking for different things out of a broadcast/broadcaster... And that's fine. I'm okay with that. If what Rod Black does is enjoyable to some people, that's great. Whatever makes you happy. But from a guy who hires broadcasters for a living, the voice is among the least important things for me when I'm hiring someone new. I want a top notch communicator, a hard worker, and an extremely positive attitude. I don't work in TV, and things are a bit different over in that world, but the basics are the same. There's a reason Chris Cuthbert is the best to ever do it... And it's very little to do with his voice. 

7 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Milt Stegall! Touchdown regal!

always wondered if that was improvised in the moment or if Cuthbert had it in his pocket. I think it was the perfect call for a giant moment.

100% prepped for weeks ahead of time. Same with "The Golden Goal...." 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Listen - here's an absolute broadcasting truth: There's a lot of subjectivity to it, as far as what people enjoy. I don't want to go so far as to say "everyone's ears are different..." but some people are just looking for different things out of a broadcast/broadcaster... And that's fine. I'm okay with that. If what Rod Black does is enjoyable to some people, that's great. Whatever makes you happy. But from a guy who hires broadcasters for a living, the voice is among the least important things for me when I'm hiring someone new. I want a top notch communicator, a hard worker, and an extremely positive attitude. I don't work in TV, and things are a bit different over in that world, but the basics are the same. There's a reason Chris Cuthbert is the best to ever do it... And it's very little to do with his voice. 

did you hire at TSN1290? lol.

Chris Cuthbert if you listen to him is almost the exact same as Rod Black. For all the faults fans whine about Black Cuthbert does the same thing. I enjoy both cause they have a great voice and are enthusiastic about the game. I would say you wouldn't even find another broadcaster that loves the CFL more than Rod Black. Plus he is a Winnipeger that most of his family still live in the city.

Peter Mansbridge is another great example. People today would think he is horrible but he is one of the best cause his delivery is gold. Similar to Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings. They train broadcasters to bring out a certain talent which is why our media is crap. A smile and choice of words is nothing. Its all delivery.

4 hours ago, PolarBear said:

I have a relative that works for HNIC. I read Scott Moore letter to the staff when he was brought on to Rogers regarding seeking emerging talent and it was regarding 'looking for the next voice' They don't even care what words you say, its the voice.

Denis Beyak was fired from FOX in the '90s during his trial with them (look it up) So they had to use Kenny Albert more.  They brought in Schulman who is Canadian simply to replace Brent Musburger doing Big 12 Basketball cause of the tone of his voice was perfect for replacing a similar tone Musberger.

Bob Cole was hired because of his voice. Read his book.

Bill Walton was hired and fired 20 times before he made it to NBC. Only reason why he kept being brought on was because he said he had the voice but had to learn to overcome his speech problem

Joe Buck was working with FOX on the D team and they told him his voice wasn't good enough so he took training on his vocals for an entire year. 

So yes I would consider myself knowledgeable with this situation. If arrogance means being educated then I have one big time ego.

They use the exact same production as their hockey production. 

But you don't work in the industry so your opinion is no more informed than any of us here with one exception. That's like saying you know how to survive for a month in the wilderness because you watched Survivorman.  Until you actually are hired by a broadcaster, do the job & are successful like Noeller is in the news media then  perhaps you should stay in your own lane a bit. We don't mind your opinion, though. You're free to like or dislike anything about TSN's broadcasts like the rest of us.

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

To me I could give a rats ass..and honestly I like walby and Dunnigan the best..not most polished...out of the box delivery but by far most entertaining and give best insights..and who cares if they cheerlead here and there..I think that's great..

Two guys who don't even know what a script is - they just call the game as they see it. 

I don't remember who the Bombers were playing, but it was a game they were not supposed win - they came out and put on a clinic. TSN had so much scripted stuff prepared about the other team, they didn't know what to do.  Damn, wish I could remember the game - it was about years ago. 

53 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Two guys who don't even know what a script is - they just call the game as they see it. 

I don't remember who the Bombers were playing, but it was a game they were not supposed win - they came out and put on a clinic. TSN had so much scripted stuff prepared about the other team, they didn't know what to do.  Damn, wish I could remember the game - it was about years ago. 

Walby and Dunigan are two guys who like to have some drinks and talk about football. If you can capture that in a broadcast, you've got something. The key there is that they're "colour" guys, not the hosts. Your colour guys are supposed to have personalities. The host/PBP needs to be more polished and professional, IMO.

Wittman and Walby, Cuthbert/Miller/Smith and Dunigan..... Those are OUTSTANDING tandems. I like Forde, but he comes across awkward at times when he attempts to be funny. Suitor is knowledgeable enough but is just SUCH a Riders apologist and makes it tough to handle. 

Just my own personal takes tho.. As I said.... People have different tastes. 

23 hours ago, PolarBear said:

lol. The voice sets the tone. Nothing less and nothing more. Do you really wait to see what the announcer says for confirmation? Names and #'s and yardage is irrelevant. Like maybe you haven't watched sports long enough but certain fans complain about things like this and its nonsense. Every announcer even the best Cuthbert or Wittman made mistakes. Who cares. The voice is everything

Majority of all hardcore sports broadcasters across the country and even in the USA said they loved Rod Black and the production. So there is that.

Sportsgrid had 2 hrs of coverage of the game and they were very impressed. Also Rod Black bashing is just stupid. He is literally one of the best in the business. Go find someone better, you wont. People in the USA hate Joe Buck. Even Jim Nantz is overrated but he has the voice and his tone is refreshing.

MLB radio announces are the best cause of the tone they use and majority have a powerful southern voice which comes booms across the radio similar to Keilback

You are wrong on a lot of accounts. Rod Black is great! Watch last nights preseason game for the nfl? same stuff. You people whining about yard and distance and one liners. lol i dont even know what to say. 

Are you looking for a phone sex operators or something?     As long as they don’t have annoying voices I really could care less.  They are there to be explaining what is going on for you.  

I do like the commentary and the silly ness rod black injects but that’s just me.

Edited by Adrenaline_x

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Are you looking for a phone sex operators or something?     As long as they don’t have annoying voices I really could care less.  They are there to be explaining what is going on for you.  

I do like the commentary and the silly ness rod black injects but that’s just me.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

100% prepped for weeks ahead of time. Same with "The Golden Goal...." 

https://alexflanagan.com/what-makes-a-good-play-by-play-announcer/#:~:text=The best play-by-play,t understand what's being said.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But you don't work in the industry so your opinion is no more informed than any of us here with one exception. That's like saying you know how to survive for a month in the wilderness because you watched Survivorman.  Until you actually are hired by a broadcaster, do the job & are successful like Noeller is in the news media then  perhaps you should stay in your own lane a bit. We don't mind your opinion, though. You're free to like or dislike anything about TSN's broadcasts like the rest of us.

I am extremely knowledgeable about sports and broadcasting. Clearly...  As I gave examples earlier I know all the best were hired due to their voice. Remember Dave Hodge? He was removed from HNIC play by play to host cause of his voice. CBC sports president made the decision that his voice wasn't fitting for HNIC for the nation with what they had in the cbc department. 

https://alexflanagan.com/what-makes-a-good-play-by-play-announcer/#:~:text=The best play-by-play,t understand what's being said.

if i knew how to survive in the wildness could i not watch survivor? exactly.  So its irrelevant. You are just going around in circles as the facts are the facts. Voice is everything. This is why Rod Black is doing play by play

Noeller? who is he. Never heard of him.

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

But you said it was all the voice.....

delivery is the voice.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Walby and Dunigan are two guys who like to have some drinks and talk about football. If you can capture that in a broadcast, you've got something. The key there is that they're "colour" guys, not the hosts. Your colour guys are supposed to have personalities. The host/PBP needs to be more polished and professional, IMO.

Wittman and Walby, Cuthbert/Miller/Smith and Dunigan..... Those are OUTSTANDING tandems. I like Forde, but he comes across awkward at times when he attempts to be funny. Suitor is knowledgeable enough but is just SUCH a Riders apologist and makes it tough to handle. 

Just my own personal takes tho.. As I said.... People have different tastes. 

Wittman was with Kepley and Curry.

CBC loved when Wittman worked with Lancaster and Curry cause their voices all balanced each other. You should read the book on Wittman.