TSN new look - Bomber banner issue

PolarBear

Watching the replay on TSN late at night 2am.... I notice what others were saying across the globe about the production value. Heard many praising the new look so off the start watching the replay I notice the over the field camera being used very well which might be a first for a regular season game. Normally its not used until Grey Cup. Not sure if this will be at every game or once a week during the season. The new TSN graphics is a nice change and refreshes the look, including a new score bug.

Grey Cup banner was a bit of a disappointment.  Really no ceremony and the banner itself is more like a sign. Not having an individual (11 banners) is not a good look. Having it hanging from the rafters is really the only choice and it could have been done like other NFL or MLB stadiums which they use a harder material so it doesn't blow all over and take a beating. 

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

Watching the replay on TSN late at night 2am.... I notice what others were saying across the globe about the production value. Heard many praising the new look so off the start watching the replay I notice the over the field camera being used very well which might be a first for a regular season game. Normally its not used until Grey Cup. Not sure if this will be at every game or once a week during the season. The new TSN graphics is a nice change and refreshes the look, including a new score bug.

Grey Cup banner was a bit of a disappointment.  Really no ceremony and the banner itself is more like a sign. Not having an individual (11 banners) is not a good look. Having it hanging from the rafters is really the only choice and it could have been done like other NFL or MLB stadiums which they use a harder material so it doesn't blow all over and take a beating. 

I was impressed as it took TSN years just to bring in the first down marker for viewers. The tv product has to look polished & not amateurish like it did pre Covid if they want to grow the game. 

I didn't think that TSN did a good job at all. They still do interviews and ignore the game. They make comments like Collaros was really close to the LOS on the 50 yarder then don't show replay's. They talk over the refs calls. They go to ads then come back after penalty calls and don't bother to explain the call or the outcome. I didn't much like the new graphics either. The slider looks like the old 'flag' slider that indicated penalties.

TSN is still bush league IMO.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I didn't think that TSN did a good job at all. They still do interviews and ignore the game. They make comments like Collaros was really close to the LOS on the 50 yarder then don't show replay's. They talk over the refs calls. They go to ads then come back after penalty calls and don't bother to explain the call or the outcome. I didn't much like the new graphics either. The slider looks like the old 'flag' slider that indicated penalties.

They probably didn't show the replay because he wasn't really close to the LOS and probably wanted to spare Black from looking worse then what he already did.  

59 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The lack of replays was driving me crazy.

It was sort of the same thing in person. The layout of the scoreboards now includes advertising, time, score, 50/50 totals, etc. Yet, when you’d expect a replay, the live video feed would display the fan cams. It was fun to have the fan cams, seemed real popular spreading the good times. Could have used a few more replays at the game for those of us that drink with our eyes shut and miss some good plays. Drinking and watching plays is hard. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

That has nothing to do with the production of the game. People get on Rod Black is tiring already. As long as you have a voice for tv or radio that is good enough. People bitching about what he says or a mistake here and there is just dumb. Ever watch NFL or MLB or NHL? Mistakes are made all the time.

Dennis Beyak sucks cause of his voice and has no personality. Curt Keilback was great cause of his powerful voice.

Don Wittman was great cause of his low key voice that spoke fast with the play. And he just looked cool.

The new camera was surely a plus

Speaking of announcers... I know it's been a long layoff but the in-house PA was terrible last night.  If you were listening to him, Bailey had a monster game and Lawler was not on the field.   I know 88 & 89 jersey's are similiar so I can give him a pass on that but not when Collaros ran for a 1st down in the 2nd half and he announced it as Masoli.  

22 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

That has nothing to do with the production of the game. People get on Rod Black is tiring already. As long as you have a voice for tv or radio that is good enough. People bitching about what he says or a mistake here and there is just dumb. Ever watch NFL or MLB or NHL? Mistakes are made all the time.

Dennis Beyak sucks cause of his voice and has no personality. Curt Keilback was great cause of his powerful voice.

Don Wittman was great cause of his low key voice that spoke fast with the play. And he just looked cool.

The new camera was surely a plus

Speaking as something of an expert on the matter, most of this post is patently false. 

Voice has little or nothing to do with quality of PBP. It's your ability to communicate. Rod Black always sounds like he's a second or two behind the play, and not describing it as it's happening. That's the biggest issue with him.  

I'm not even going to get into the hockey stuff mentioned here.......it's beyond the realm of understanding. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Speaking as something of an expert on the matter, most of this post is patently false. 

Voice has little or nothing to do with quality of PBP. It's your ability to communicate. Rod Black always sounds like he's a second or two behind the play, and not describing it as it's happening. That's the biggest issue with him.  

I'm not even going to get into the hockey stuff mentioned here.......it's beyond the realm of understanding. 

Black has no clue where the ball is on the field. He never says the down & distance. The other thing is that TSN no longer keeps track of ind player stats. So, we don't know how many yards Oliveira had, we don't know the passing stats of the qbs & we don't know receiving stats of the players unless the announcers tell us. They keep no defensive stats as well. Especially sack totals like they used to.  When I said the production value was better, it was. Some very nice shots of the stadium inside & out but it's the same **** again for viewers watching. The (lack of) talent in the booth hasn't changed. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

He caught the ball, or did he? They're gonna give.him the first down, or will they? He was using some classic Rod one liners!! Lol. But yeah, it's notnjust one or two mistakes. He does play by like he's talking to someone who has never seen a football game....and he been making the same.mistakes for over a decade. It's time to move on.

Also while I was at the game I kept seeing the drone they used for the over head shots. Great idea. I legit thought it must have been someone just messing around, cause there's no way TSN would be that innovative. Happy to be proven wrong.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

He caught the ball, or did he? They're gonna give.him the first down, or will they? He was using some classic Rod one liners!! Lol. But yeah, it's notnjust one or two mistakes. He does play by like he's talking to someone who has never seen a football game....and he been making the same.mistakes for over a decade. It's time to move on.

It was time to move on a decade ago. With Chris Cuthbert leaving it means Black will do the Grey Cup. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was time to move on a decade ago. With Chris Cuthbert leaving it means Black will do the Grey Cup. 

Wow, hadn't thought of that. Thanks for ruining my day. 

Hopefully, I will be in attendance, in Hamilton, watching the Bombers during the Grey Cup!

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

lol. The voice sets the tone. Nothing less and nothing more. Do you really wait to see what the announcer says for confirmation? Names and #'s and yardage is irrelevant. Like maybe you haven't watched sports long enough but certain fans complain about things like this and its nonsense. Every announcer even the best Cuthbert or Wittman made mistakes. Who cares. The voice is everything

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Black has no clue where the ball is on the field. He never says the down & distance. The other thing is that TSN no longer keeps track of ind player stats. So, we don't know how many yards Oliveira had, we don't know the passing stats of the qbs & we don't know receiving stats of the players unless the announcers tell us. They keep no defensive stats as well. Especially sack totals like they used to.  When I said the production value was better, it was. Some very nice shots of the stadium inside & out but it's the same **** again for viewers watching. The (lack of) talent in the booth hasn't changed. 

Majority of all hardcore sports broadcasters across the country and even in the USA said they loved Rod Black and the production. So there is that.

Sportsgrid had 2 hrs of coverage of the game and they were very impressed. Also Rod Black bashing is just stupid. He is literally one of the best in the business. Go find someone better, you wont. People in the USA hate Joe Buck. Even Jim Nantz is overrated but he has the voice and his tone is refreshing.

MLB radio announces are the best cause of the tone they use and majority have a powerful southern voice which comes booms across the radio similar to Keilback

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also while I was at the game I kept seeing the drone they used for the over head shots. Great idea. I legit thought it must have been someone just messing around, cause there's no way TSN would be that innovative. Happy to be proven wrong.

You are wrong on a lot of accounts. Rod Black is great! Watch last nights preseason game for the nfl? same stuff. You people whining about yard and distance and one liners. lol i dont even know what to say. 

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

lol. The voice sets the tone. Nothing less and nothing more. Do you really wait to see what the announcer says for confirmation? Names and #'s and yardage is irrelevant. Like maybe you haven't watched sports long enough but certain fans complain about things like this and its nonsense. Every announcer even the best Cuthbert or Wittman made mistakes. Who cares. The voice is everything

Majority of all hardcore sports broadcasters across the country and even in the USA said they loved Rod Black and the production. So there is that.

Sportsgrid had 2 hrs of coverage of the game and they were very impressed. Also Rod Black bashing is just stupid. He is literally one of the best in the business. Go find someone better, you wont. People in the USA hate Joe Buck. Even Jim Nantz is overrated but he has the voice and his tone is refreshing.

I mean, if I wasn't going to block this garbage beforehand, I certainly am now. 

Imagine the gall of telling someone in the industry what constitutes good and bad. Height of arrogance and ignorance. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I mean, if I wasn't going to block this garbage beforehand, I certainly am now. 

Imagine the gall of telling someone in the industry what constitutes good and bad. Height of arrogance and ignorance. 

Yeah, it’s like those fans who criticize Offensive coordinators and QBs who win games for being “Game managers” who can’t go through their reads or “passive” strategies and who “suck at play calling”. The height of arrogance and ignorance. 
😉

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yeah, it’s like those fans who criticize Offensive coordinators and QBs who win games for being “Game managers” who can’t go through their reads or “passive” strategies and who “suck at play calling”. The height of arrogance and ignorance. 
😉

I would never stand up and tell any pro (or coach) how to play the game. I may get frustrated and express that on a message board, like say MBB, but to tell a vet in the industry that they don't know what they're talking about?? I would say it takes courage but it's actually just ignorance.