Jump to content

2021 Blue Bombers Season


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Joe Mack era was the worst for me. He seemed like a good hire - had everyone fooled for a year or two.  

There was this wistful, optimistic feeling about Mack's hiring, because he was the director of player personnel during the Cal Murphy/Mike Riley years and did some scouting in the NFL.

When hired, there might have been the belief that he had some valuable NFL connections, but that's still over 20 years between CFL gigs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

There was this wistful, optimistic feeling about Mack's hiring, because he was the director of player personnel during the Cal Murphy/Mike Riley years and did some scouting in the NFL.

When hired, there might have been the belief that he had some valuable NFL connections, but that's still over 20 years between CFL gigs.

We spent a lot of time convincing ourselves that NFL scouting was being done well. I would say it was about average, given that many of those players had long CFL careers, but Canadian drafting was abysmal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our first round pick this year Liam Dobson had his first game at his new school texas state. Hes dropped 10 ish pounds and is down to 330. Still a monster of a man. They played baylor who has a good experienced DL. Their qb struggled a lot, and they ran 3 backs 10 times each with 1 doing well and 2 doing pretty poor. Despite all that and a bunch of new guys on that OL they only gave up one sack on the other tackle. (dobson is playing RT) 

Dobson was dominating in his blocks in both the run and pass game. He pulled a few times and can really fly. Pretty fun to watch. In maine he started 12 games the previous year and averaged 12 pancakes a game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Our first round pick this year Liam Dobson had his first game at his new school texas state. Hes dropped 10 ish pounds and is down to 330. Still a monster of a man. They played baylor who has a good experienced DL. Their qb struggled a lot, and they ran 3 backs 10 times each with 1 doing well and 2 doing pretty poor. Despite all that and a bunch of new guys on that OL they only gave up one sack on the other tackle. (dobson is playing RT) 

Dobson was dominating in his blocks in both the run and pass game. He pulled a few times and can really fly. Pretty fun to watch. In maine he started 12 games the previous year and averaged 12 pancakes a game. 

Sounds like a beast. Will we ever see him? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Sounds like a beast. Will we ever see him? 

Tough to say. I think hes gonna get an NFL look. If he gets a combine invite he probably goes 5th to 7th round. I think we have a good chance to see him eventually. But he could play a long career in the NFL as a run blocker / goal line guy.  I think we have a pretty decent chance to get him at a good time for us. I cant see bryant playing 3 more years and Id say thatd be about the time line on him 1.5-3 years. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Noeller said:

If he doesn't have NFL interest, then back the Brinks truck up. Whatever it takes. If the Argos can do it, then so can we. 

We have Mitchell money still sitting there...I'm sure we can fit him in the budget...Rose..Jones..Taylor..Alexander..Darby as the starting 5 with Nichols and Alford...damn!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't give two fucks what the cap situation is. No other team cares (least of all the Argos) so why should we? Spend what you need to and damn the consequences after we win another Cup...

Agreed. What's the fine, 100k? Easily paid for from a fraction of grey cup merch sales

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

You guys don’t want to save that money in case a receiver is cut from NFL and suddenly becomes available ? 

Now that we are almost half the season, I don't think this Bomber team will sign an NFL-cut receiver who doesn't have a CFL experience.
The ones that has, have been cut already like - Reggie Begelton, Marken Michel and Duke Williams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dirty30 said:

You guys don’t want to save that money in case a receiver is cut from NFL and suddenly becomes available ? 

Pretty much the guys that are available are the guys who will be available. Were past the cut down day any one cut during the season is probably moving between PR IR or release due to injury or is gonna end up on another team. 

Duke is out, michel is a good player that'd fit in nice. But he's not elite like getting a duke williams. I wouldnt want to lock in at that kind of money. Begelton is above michel for me but I think he will wait around for another NFL chance and idk if he fits really well here. We arent going to put him in lawlers spot and useage imo. 

Even those guys, and NL type guys will be sitting around the NFL wire for atleast another month trying to get a PR deal. After that they have to sit 2 more weeks. I think any additions like that come late and play a hand full of games. More of a play off push move than a mid season move. And with their salary pro rated it isnt a huge hit.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Lowered the cap but everyone lowered their salaries proportionately too. 

I feel like most teams have more cap room than normal. Also we never seemed to spend the Bryant retirement salary room. So im not worried about our cap situation. And as others have stated if its a GC push you spend the money and deal with the blow back later. 

1 hour ago, Dirty30 said:

I’d be more than happy with any of those three. 

Duke is on the bills IR and almost certainly wont be in the cfl this year. 

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Rose back in the secondary would be unreal!

I think thats the biggest FA move we could make right now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Michel would be a good pickup since he also return kicks/punts. He would be a good-DI since we can definitely use him on the passing game as well.  

Michel wouldnt come here to play DI, or at that kind of money. He's a starter for sure. He'd have a monster year in the riders offense. He could be a big yac threat. 

He would be a nice piece for us, but I dont know if we can lure him here. Part of it would have to be adapting our offense to feed him the ball. Other wise a team like ham, ssk, or cal could slot him into the type of role that gets him another nfl chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

None of those three receivers appear on the depth charts for their NFL teams. Not the PR or the IR.  Interesting. I wonder when they update those rosters because the Bills said that they re-signed Duke, after he cleared waivers and put him on the IR?

Edited by JCon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...