2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

A Streveler package would be entirely different than anything we run with Collaros. Also, you are forgetting that Buck has complete access to the Strev playbook we ran in 2018/19 and that almost all of our offensive unit is very experienced in the Strev package offence. It would need a couple days of practice but it's mostly run plays and RPOs...it is not hard to get the timing down on that.

Gimme a break. There was nothing wrong with the protection provided to either of them in their starts.

You are saying that it only takes a couple days of practice for a QB to fly in and learn the system.    So you are saying that the receivers and o-line and everyone else need to re-learn our 2018-2019 playbook on top of everything new this year just to make this work.   How does that make any logic.    The only way any of this works is if Strev is  signed and placed as our 3rd string QB running a small sub selection of plays.   

Rewatch the Montreal game ,  Mcguire who is a pocket passer was on the run quite a bit the pass protection wasn't nearly as good as what Brown had last week.  

As much as I love Streveler, it just doesn't make sense.. New OC, same recievers... Also although McGuire/Brown are by no means worldbeaters, they were serviceable if the unthinkable happens.

Not only that... What kind of message would that send to Brown/McGuire if we just airlift someone in like that? Especially right before the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Eternal optimist said:

As much as I love Streveler, it just doesn't make sense.. New OC, same recievers... Also although McGuire/Brown are by no means worldbeaters, they were serviceable if the unthinkable happens.

Not only that... What kind of message would that send to Brown/McGuire if we just airlift someone in like that? Especially right before the playoffs.

Brown was absolutely not serviceable... He had a great run game, and good protection from the offensive line and completely failed to do anything but throw short passes sometimes (honestly I was shocked he got to 50% completions) and pick up some yardage on a few scrambles. 

McGuire I got a lot more time for based on the circumstances in that game, based purely on that one he wasn't serviceable either. 

He might not know the current playbook but he is very familiar with his teammates. He knows  what everyone ,the Oline, backs, and recievers do when things break down. He knows the CFL. As it has been said they could cook up a small set of plays specifically for him. I would be way more comfortable with him in if something happens to Collaros.  And I sure as heck don't want to see him on another team during this run. 

16 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm not sure Brown is serviceable.

When it comes to air lifting players in. Oshea has seemingly done it right. When they brought Rose in, he let the DBs talk it out to see who should sit. I'd imagine the same would be done for other positions. And in this case, I'd expect Brown to know he should be the odd man out.

But I still don't see it happening.

It's been mentioned, but people seem to miss it.... McGuire is, at the very least, "dinged" right now. Groin injury in practice last week. So we DO need a back up.... Everyone who says "it just doesn't make sense..." is wrong. It actually makes all the sense in the world. It's just a matter of whether or not Strev wants to wait on another NFL shot this year. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

It's been mentioned, but people seem to miss it.... McGuire is, at the very least, "dinged" right now. Groin injury in practice last week. So we DO need a back up.... Everyone who says "it just doesn't make sense..." is wrong. It actually makes all the sense in the world. It's just a matter of whether or not Strev wants to wait on another NFL shot this year. 

That is true. I guess it depends just how bad the injury is. In terms of waiting on the NFL this year....he could likely do both honestly. Come up here for a bit, then get released to pursue the NFL again.

Something else that is part of the equation is his vax status. If he's not vaxxed non of this matters. Either way he'd still have to quarantine for 7 days right? So if he's coming, he had better do so ASAP.

Edited by Bigblue204

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

It makes too much sense and the timing is about as perfect as you could ask.

Keep in mind this kid went against his agent's opinion to shut it down when he got (badly) injured and chose to become a Winnipeg legend/icon playing on one leg in the playoffs despite NFL interest.

Hopefully his best buddy Wolly can convince hik to get back here. How long is the waiver wire period in the NFL? 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That is true. I guess it depends just how bad the injury is. In terms of waiting on the NFL this year....he could likely do both honestly. Come up here for a bit, then get released to pursue the NFL again.

Something else that is part of the equation is his vax status. If he's not vaxxed non of this matters. Either way he'd still have to quarantine for 7 days right? So if he's coming, he had better do so ASAP.

He needs to clear waivers before he does anything. 

Yes, his vaccination status is a factor. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

He has to be here for 7 days before getting on the field. So, that means, if he arrived today, he would practice next Wednesday. That gives him two (or three?) practices and a walkthrough? 

I am comfortable with that. 

He is running QB sneaks and maybe a few other plays. 

He isn't taking the ball from Collaros.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think if they signed him, they would announce it asap to help ticket sales/ramp up the city. Unless that happens later today or even tomorrow you're looking at 3 days of practice?

The game will sell out. Sales are going fine, but it would definitely sell it out faster.

I don't see why he would need a ton of practice to do short yardage and a play here or there with basically the same team he had when he left.

NFL waivers period is 24 hours. 

Nothing happens until that passes.

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I am comfortable with that. 

He is running QB sneaks and maybe a few other plays. 

He isn't taking the ball from Collaros.

The game will sell out. Sales are going fine, but it would definitely sell it out faster.

I don't see why he would need a ton of practice to do short yardage and a play here or there with basically the same team he had when he left.

NFL waivers period is 24 hours. 

Nothing happens until that passes.

But he MIGHT have to. That's why he needs to know the playbook as well as whoever he would be replacing. He would be 1 maybe 2 plays away from having to run the Offence for who knows how long. Collaros goes down play #2 Mcguire goes down in 3rd Q. Now we have a qb who only understands 4 maybe 5 plays out of the playbook? That's the potential situation people are asking for. It's not fair for anyone unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If Streveler is done with the NFL (not likely imo) I would not be surprised to see him in WPG in 2022.

Unfortunately I'd see other teams throwing big money at him to start.   Zach has at least 3 more years left in him (maybe more). I don't see us moving on from him this soon. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

You are saying that it only takes a couple days of practice for a QB to fly in and learn the system.    So you are saying that the receivers and o-line and everyone else need to re-learn our 2018-2019 playbook on top of everything new this year just to make this work.   How does that make any logic.    The only way any of this works is if Strev is  signed and placed as our 3rd string QB running a small sub selection of plays.   

Rewatch the Montreal game ,  Mcguire who is a pocket passer was on the run quite a bit the pass protection wasn't nearly as good as what Brown had last week.  

McGuire was inaccurate on many of his throws, and was not reading the defence well at all. If you are comfortable with him as the backup you are in the minority of people I would think. Personally, whether we sign Strev or not I would be handing him his walking papers at the end of the season. He has spent 2 years with us now and he is a long way off from being a competent QB.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

But he MIGHT have to. That's why he needs to know the playbook as well as whoever he would be replacing. He would be 1 maybe 2 plays away from having to run the Offence for who knows how long. Collaros goes down play #2 Mcguire goes down in 3rd Q. Now we have a qb who only understands 4 maybe 5 plays out of the playbook? That's the potential situation people are asking for. It's not fair for anyone unfortunately.

So what? I would rather he do it than what we have seen so far from our backups. 

I am fully aware he potentially has to go in and finish a game.

I am good with it. 

Just now, Wideleft said:

He can take NFL calls from Wolitarsky's apartment!

Not how self isolation works but I like the way you think! 

Just now, GCn20 said:

McGuire was inaccurate on many of his throws, and was not reading the defence well at all. If you are comfortable with him as the backup you are in the minority of people I would think. Personally, whether we sign Strev or not I would be handing him his walking papers at the end of the season. He has spent 2 years with us now and he is a long way off from being a competent QB.

I'm not prepared to cut bait on McGuire based on one horrible game in horribly inclement weather.  The coaches have kept him around for a reason.  Surely, he's shown a lot in practise.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

That's too funny - try throwing a ball when the DL is getting pushed back into you. 

Qft. Brown had all day. McGuire was constantly under fire. We had a 3rd string ol vs the team that lead in sacks compared to all the starters against a 3rd string cal dl when the starters were middle of the pack. 

2 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I'm not prepared to cut bait on McGuire based on one horrible game in horribly inclement weather.  The coaches have kept him around for a reason.  Surely, he's shown a lot in practise.

He is also hurt.

I am not giving up on McGuire either. 

But he is dealing with a groin injury that made him miss the last game.

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

That's how I feel too. People also tend to forget that many thought he outplayed Streveler in the 2019 Pre Season. The guy can stand in the pocket and riffle it. Playing with 3rd stringers in a nothing game against a team still playing for a playoff spot is not a death sentence imo. I'd like to see heavy competition in camp next year though.