2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

Jumping in, I have lived in Winnipeg all my life and always thought it was a great place to have roots compared to other place in Canada and around the world that I have been fortunate to visit. That opinion has soured in the last 5-10 years though as we have undergone a population explosion, much to the detriment of what made this city great. Everywhere you look there are condos and new subdivisions being developed at an extraordinary rate and despite all of this new housing real estate costs are still going through the roof. While this has happened public infrastructure has barely improved to accommodate this massive influx of people (we have been one of the fastest growing cities in Canada). Maybe because of this the mindset here has been noticeably shifting to a fast paced, rush everywhere attitude, similar to what I've seen in Toronto in past visits. People here have also become markedly less friendly.

At this point I can't wait to retire and move somewhere else. Somewhere with the amenities of a small city or town but away from this rat race. Too bad that won't be anytime soon.

6 hours ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

Jumping in, I have lived in Winnipeg all my life and always thought it was a great place to have roots compared to other place in Canada and around the world that I have been fortunate to visit. That opinion has soured in the last 5-10 years though as we have undergone a population explosion, much to the detriment of what made this city great. Everywhere you look there are condos and new subdivisions being developed at an extraordinary rate and despite all of this new housing real estate costs are still going through the roof. While this has happened public infrastructure has barely improved to accommodate this massive influx of people (we have been one of the fastest growing cities in Canada). Maybe because of this the mindset here has been noticeably shifting to a fast paced, rush everywhere attitude, similar to what I've seen in Toronto in past visits. People here have also become markedly less friendly.

At this point I can't wait to retire and move somewhere else. Somewhere with the amenities of a small city or town but away from this rat race. Too bad that won't be anytime soon.

There is a Jewish aphorism: be careful what you wish for, because you might get it.

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Been to San Fran a number of times. The City By The Bay. Love it there but it's bloody expensive to live there. 

And the homelessness there, my God. Sad to see. Sat awkwardly next to a guy smoking a crack pipe on the bench next to me lol

11 hours ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

Sorry but for a guy who says he's travelled a lot you really have to get out more & visit otrher cities. I'd hardly call life in Winnipeg a rat race. I also wouldn't say Winnipeg's population is exploding. The city itself won't reach a million people until at least 2040. There are no freeways so people don't zip thru the city at 100 kph like other places. Condos & suburbs with real estate prices increasing. You mean like Vancouver & Toronto? C'mon man. 

44 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Winnipeg will become more modern even sooner. .. several big projects rumored to be happening in 2022. 

What projects? Do you have the inside scoop?

57 minutes ago, CodyT said:

And the homelessness there, my God. Sad to see. Sat awkwardly next to a guy smoking a crack pipe on the bench next to me lol

The US healthcare system. People who need help are left out as they can't pay. Most can't hold a job or afford a place to live & become homeless. I also read that other cities in the US actually round up their homeless, Then take them to San Fran & then dump them on the street & leave them. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Speaking of Dec 5, we decided to take advantage of a cool deal from Fionn McCools that day.... Burger, Fort Garry pint and a bus ride to and from the game for 15 bucks. You can't beat that. Absolutely STOKED for that whole weekend... 

True story, a while back when my folks were visiting both my wife and my dad got super ill after we had lunch at Fionn McCools at mallzac. So they're on the shitlist.

This may come across as a weird post but as I turn 41 today I wanted to show love to my hometown. I can't wait to be back next month and see the city I grew up in and love so much. I can't wait to take my kids next year. I guess the older we get the more we look back and think about things with perspective. I wouldn't change a thing about my childhood; Winnipeg is the ****. 

7 hours ago, White Out said:

This may come across as a weird post but as I turn 41 today I wanted to show love to my hometown. I can't wait to be back next month and see the city I grew up in and love so much. I can't wait to take my kids next year. I guess the older we get the more we look back and think about things with perspective. I wouldn't change a thing about my childhood; Winnipeg is the ****. 

Happy birthday! 🎂

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

True story, a while back when my folks were visiting both my wife and my dad got super ill after we had lunch at Fionn McCools at mallzac. So they're on the shitlist.

Food poisoning is wrongly accused on restaurants 95 plus per of the time. People seldom understand how long it takes to gestate. 

9 hours ago, White Out said:

I grew up in Riverview in the South End. Whenever I get back to Winnipeg with my wife when she wants to spend a little time doing things on her own like shopping with her mother, I always take a drive past my house in the old neighbourhood & reminisce in my mind thinking how lucky I was to have lived there. I can't get over how BIG the trees on the boulevard on my street are compared to when I grew up. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I grew up in Riverview in the South End. Whenever I get back to Winnipeg with my wife when she wants to spend a little time doing things on her own like shopping with her mother, I always take a drive past my house in the old neighbourhood & reminisce in my mind thinking how lucky I was to have lived there. I can't get over how BIG the trees on the boulevard on my street are compared to when I grew up. 

I do the same thing. The parks and trees in North Kildonan are a different level than here in Calgary 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Riverview? If you don’t mind my asking, was it you who once posted a story about a neighbour by the name of McGibney? 

57 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Riverview? If you don’t mind my asking, was it you who once posted a story about a neighbour by the name of McGibney? 

Yep. He was my neighbour across the street, He was a passionate Bomber fan who was there from the beginning, The 1935 Grey Cup, Osborne Stadium, Reg Threlfall, Fritz Hanson, Jeff Nicklin, Jack Jacobs, D i c k  Huffman, Bud Grant, Leo Lewis, Ken Ploen, Buddy Tinsley... all kinds of stories about Osborne Stadium & Grey Cups. The thing I remember about Mr. McGibney was his passion & love for the Blue Bombers. How his eyes lit up whenever he talked about them. He helped make me the fan I am today. I became interested in Blue Bomber & CFL history because of him. He died at least 40 years ago & I still miss our chats.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yep. He was my neighbour across the street, He was a passionate Bomber fan who was there from the beginning, The 1935 Grey Cup, Osborne Stadium, Reg Threlfall, Fritz Hanson, Jeff Nicklin, Jack Jacobs, D i c k  Huffman, Bud Grant, Leo Lewis, Ken Ploen, Buddy Tinsley... all kinds of stories about Osborne Stadium & Grey Cups. The thing I remember about Mr. McGibney was his passion & love for the Blue Bombers. How his eyes lit up whenever he talked about them. He helped make me the fan I am today. I became interested in Blue Bomber & CFL history because of him. He died at least 40 years ago & I still miss our chats.

I’m a McGibney, and there aren’t very many of us. I’m wondering if it was my Dad’s uncle Doug, I believe he was one of the few that didn’t live in the North End at that point. 

It would make sense, as my whole family has that kind of passion for the Bombers.