2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Been humming and hawing on the idea of buying a nice lakefront home in the Okanagan for several years now. Would have done it a long time ago if they had a sliver of the fishing and tranquility I currently enjoy. Arthritis might force this decision in the coming years but for right now no matter how cold our winters have been, I have not pulled the trigger. 

Keep your fancy ass fantasies to yourself. I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy wiener water for a third day in a row.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

That suggests you had wieners. 

Hey, everyone, look at Mister Richie Rich here with his fancy protein diet! 

Wieners? LUXURY! When I was a lad we yearned for a meal of casings and boiled shoelaces. 

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Been humming and hawing on the idea of buying a nice lakefront home in the Okanagan for several years now. Would have done it a long time ago if they had a sliver of the fishing and tranquility I currently enjoy. Arthritis might force this decision in the coming years but for right now no matter how cold our winters have been, I have not pulled the trigger. 

My wife and I are less than 10 years from paying off our mortgage, at which point we're going to buy a property in Manitoba (she wants a place directly on the water, with a dock,  but I'd be okay with walking distance, such as Pinawa...) and spend the last 15-20 years of our working years paying for that. The main discussion at this point is whether we put money down to buy a piece of land right now and build as we go, or to wait the 10 years and buy something pre-existing... At any rate, it's my entire financial focus at this point in my life....

Just now, GCn20 said:

It took a lifetime of hard work and I'm not rich...just comfortable.

Don't worry, he's just mad because he used to be rich until he got married and started a family.... he had lots of monies and no kids, now he has no monies and lots of kids....

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My wife and I are less than 10 years from paying off our mortgage, at which point we're going to buy a property in Manitoba (she wants a place directly on the water, with a dock,  but I'd be okay with walking distance, such as Pinawa...) and spend the last 15-20 years of our working years paying for that. The main discussion at this point is whether we put money down to buy a piece of land right now and build as we go, or to wait the 10 years and buy something pre-existing... At any rate, it's my entire financial focus at this point in my life....

Yea....my retirement was something that I sacrificed a lot for. I don't know what the answer is for you in particular, but I originally bought my cottage property first and then built as I could afford it.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't worry, he's just mad because he used to be rich until he got married and started a family.... he had lots of monies and no kids, now he has no monies and lots of kids....

I was there for 20 or so years too. When I was first building up my business my wife and I lived in the stock room for the first year..lol. Drove to the public pool for a shower each day. I think that's what inspired me to go into the hotel business shortly thereafter...at least we would have a bed and a shower for sure. 

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Pinawa is beautiful country. I love the Shield. I'm a lot further North but same idea. I will say this, if you are looking lakefront and building later then keep your eyes open. Undeveloped lake front is hard to find.

PRO TIP:

Running a 100 ft extension cord, an XBOX and a TV down to the dock to stream Bomber games while you fish is about as good as it gets.

Edited by GCn20

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Only part that sucks is driving for home games but away games are awesome. 

My family's had a place on the water at Victoria Beach since the late 1920s, and I can confirm there is nothing better than an away game at the cabin. Half time, it's down the front steps and into the lake for a dip..... spectacular. 

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Pinawa is beautiful country. I love the Shield. I'm a lot further North but same idea. I will say this, if you are looking lakefront and building later then keep your eyes open. Undeveloped lake front is hard to find.

PRO TIP:

Running a 100 ft extension cord, an XBOX and a TV down to the dock to stream Bomber games while you fish is about as good as it gets.

The thing I love most about MB is it has soo many little nooks that are just amazing. Pinawa is a treasure. Gimli and wpg beach is personally my favorite but I have friends in pinawa and love it more every year. Any one who hasnt been should go down during the summer and try out the burger boat.

39 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Im building my own deal on developmental land in gimli, I strongly recommend not waiting if you want to build in pinawa. That town is booming. That hoopla island on water water park is a major attraction. (gimli almost got one and I hope they do in the future) Those property values are not going to be going down over the next 20+ years. (And I firmly believe we are in a huge real estate bubble.  Building costs and shipping wait times are high, maybe get a trailer up on a vacant lot and rent it seasonally till you are ready to develop it. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The thing I love most about MB is it has soo many little nooks that are just amazing. Pinawa is a treasure. Gimli and wpg beach is personally my favorite but I have friends in pinawa and love it more every year. Any one who hasnt been should go down during the summer and try out the burger boat.

Im building my own deal on developmental land in gimli, I strongly recommend not waiting if you want to build in pinawa. That town is booming. That hoopla island on water water park is a major attraction. (gimli almost got one and I hope they do in the future) Those property values are not going to be going down over the next 20+ years. (And I firmly believe we are in a huge real estate bubble.  Building costs and shipping wait times are high, maybe get a trailer up on a vacant lot and rent it seasonally till you are ready to develop it. 

Yeah, I'm born and raised in Pinawa and follow the goings-on super close. I'm very tight with a real estate agent there. My *dream of all dreams* is to buy my grandparents original home in Pinawa, which is one of the first houses ever built there ~1960 and has been completely updated by the current owners. They're as close as you can get to the water. My wife's aunt/uncle live in the new development on the west end of own (new Dalhousie extension) and it's pretty nice, too, but I'm partial to the older homes that have been remodeled. My wife, on the other hand, would prefer something right on the water, such as Lee River, Whiteshell, or Kenora area (we're looking into Miliachi Lake as an option...) but we'll see. 

If I won Lotto Max tonight, I'd quit my job and open up a brewery/taproom/kitchen in Pinawa right in front of the marina. Similar vibe to LOTW Brew Co, but on the Pinawa waterfront. That's the work dream of all dreams......

Just now, Noeller said:

Yeah, I'm born and raised in Pinawa and follow the goings-on super close. I'm very tight with a real estate agent there. My *dream of all dreams* is to buy my grandparents original home in Pinawa, which is one of the first houses ever built there ~1960 and has been completely updated by the current owners. They're as close as you can get to the water. My wife's aunt/uncle live in the new development on the west end of own (new Dalhousie extension) and it's pretty nice, too, but I'm partial to the older homes that have been remodeled. My wife, on the other hand, would prefer something right on the water, such as Lee River, Whiteshell, or Kenora area (we're looking into Miliachi Lake as an option...) but we'll see. 

If I won Lotto Max tonight, I'd quit my job and open up a brewery/taproom/kitchen in Pinawa right in front of the marina. Similar vibe to LOTW Brew Co, but on the Pinawa waterfront. That's the work dream of all dreams......

I love updated classic homes. You just cant beat old architecture. That said Im working on some thing modern but I have experience in modular and micro homes. Really I need as much of a view of the water as possible. I wouldve loved walk out to the water range, but I couldnt resist the price of water view, and 5 minute walk to the lake. Gl on the lotto max, some ones gotta win it right lol.  

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The thing I love most about MB is it has soo many little nooks that are just amazing. Pinawa is a treasure. Gimli and wpg beach is personally my favorite but I have friends in pinawa and love it more every year. 

Close to where I live there is the Hamlet of Netley. There is still a grain elevator there (privately owned) and maybe a dozen residents. 

Where I am going with this? The old general store is sitting empty. It has a fairly new roof and there are living quarters attached. It would make a sweet hunting cabin or cottage. You're near Chalet Beach, Winnipeg Beach, Petersfield, and about 15 min. from Gimli. It's located about a mile from Netley Lake / Netley Marsh.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

not to derail this thread too badly, but I could write a thesis paper on this topic.......

I live about an hour and a half from the mountains, and I've been there once in the last 5 years or so...... they're nice to visit, but once  you've seen 'em........meh. Give me beaches and The Shield every single day and twice on Sundays. And being able to go fishing/boating/swimming any time you want.......in REAL lakes and rivers (not shitty creeks and streams and sloughs)............man oh man, don't get me started. People come to AB because there is a lot of money to be made here. But that's about it......

Well, there used to be a lot of money to be made in Alberta but that ship has sailed, even though many there continue to live as if it has not.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Well, there used to be a lot of money to be made in Alberta but that ship has sailed, even though many there continue to live as if it has not.

it's still there....just not AS much as it used to be. But you still make more money at virtually any job in AB than you do in most other provinces......and the cost of living isn't what people think it is. In most cases, it's lower here than most other places...

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's still there....just not AS much as it used to be. But you still make more money at virtually any job in AB than you do in most other provinces......and the cost of living isn't what people think it is. In most cases, it's lower here than most other places...

I disagree. We lived in the Calgary area for three years, and found attorney and veterinary fees much higher, housing cost more and the property taxes were not that much lower.

Edited by Tracker

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I disagree. We lived in the Calgary area for three years, and found attorney and veterinary fees much higher, housing cost more and the property taxes were not than much lower.

I can say that right now, housing prices are the same as MB, if not cheaper, and the property taxes significantly cheaper. I can't wrap my head around why Manitoba property taxes are so ******* expensive.. And while the oil and gas jobs aren't as prevalent as they used to be, most "regular" professions earn significantly more in AB than MB. Honestly, that's the only reason I'm here. I'm making FAR more here than I would at a comparable job in Manitoba. I have to work here to have enough for the retirement I want in MB....