2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I think its pretty unlikely that Michael Reilly leaves BC. But in a world where Collaras was to lets say leave for BC and Reilly was available I think there could be a fit in Winnipeg. He's been getting beaten up in BC and isn't getting any younger. He could sign for the most money which is typically with the worst team or he could take less money and play in Winnipeg. In a good situation he can win championships, protect his body for life after football and gets more years out of his career. I hope for his sake that BC either improves around him or he ends up somewhere where he is going to be protected. 

I can't see a universe in existence where the Bombers let Collaros leave & sign Reilly. 

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

Who was dumbfounded?  

It was pretty much agreed upon that if Zach was healthy that he was a massive upgrade over Nichols.    Nobody ever questioned the guys talent,  it was all about if the guy was able to take a hit and keep playing or not.  

I guess dumbfounded was the wrong word but I know lots of people were concerned with the "next hit" and his durability. Having a very good oline has shown what he is capable of,kind of like vintage Collaros the year he tore his knee up in Hamilton.

After watching Nichols this year behind the Ottawa OL, I will never sell an OL short again on their impact on QB play. Our OL made Nichols look competent, and is definitely a big part of the elevated play of Collaros. That being said, Collaros is just a perfect fit for any team with a great OL. He is, and always was even in Saskatchewan, a guy that was exceptional at delivering a perfectly thrown long ball. His injury year in Hamilton notwithstanding, what held Collaros back from what we are seeing now was the fact he had to play behind an atrocious OL in Sask that routinely got him killed.

11 hours ago, Nolby said:

I guess dumbfounded was the wrong word but I know lots of people were concerned with the "next hit" and his durability. Having a very good oline has shown what he is capable of,kind of like vintage Collaros the year he tore his knee up in Hamilton.

There is no doubt that our OL is a big factor in his success. However, Collaros reads a defence really well, extends plays like no other, and can make every throw on the field with great accuracy and timing. The difference between his natural abilities and Nichols is pretty substantial.

Edited by GCn20

59 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

After watching Nichols this year behind the Ottawa OL, I will never sell an OL short again on their impact on QB play. Our OL made Nichols look competent, and is definitely a big part of the elevated play of Collaros. That being said, Collaros is just a perfect fit for any team with a great OL. He is, and always was even in Saskatchewan, a guy that was exceptional at delivering a perfectly thrown long ball. His injury year in Hamilton notwithstanding, what held Collaros back from what we are seeing now was the fact he had to play behind an atrocious OL in Sask that routinely got him killed.

There is no doubt that our OL is a big factor in his success. However, Collaros reads a defence really well, extends plays like no other, and can make every throw on the field with great accuracy and timing. The difference between his natural abilities and Nichols is pretty substantial.

Nichols being garbage at the start of the year wasn't about a bad Oline.... he was pretty obviously not healthy (probably won't ever be healthy enough to compete as QB again)

12 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I know other teams and their fans are hoping we get complacent but it won't happen:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/11/03/long-ways-get-need/

You will have to earn it. 

I absolutely love this quote from Richie:

“We’ve got to get better,” said Hall. “When you look at the big picture, we haven’t accomplished anything. There’s still room for improvement. We have a long ways to get to where we need to be."

37 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The O line's been good for several years. We went from mid-tier to dominant the day Collaros made his first start.

We were better than mid-tier prior to Collaros but I agree that we became dominant with him.

39 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Nichols being garbage at the start of the year wasn't about a bad Oline.... he was pretty obviously not healthy (probably won't ever be healthy enough to compete as QB again)

Sure that's part of it. Getting less than a millisecond behind that OL in Ottawa was the main factor though. Nichols is a competent QB behind a good OL. A less than average OL and he doesn't, and never did, have the tools to be successful.

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Zach retires out on top and we need to fill the QB position?

Zach's got a lot of football left in the tank. The only way he even remotely ponders retirement in the next few seasons is if the concussions become an issue again.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Before Collaros - 3rd in the West, 4th overall = Mid-Tier.

I know this is an optics thing, and you tend to frame everything in the most negative light possible, whereas I (mostly) try to frame things in the most positive light possible, but...... Before Collaros: 2nd most wins in the league over a span of several years, next to only Calgary = Top Tier

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The O line's been good for several years. We went from mid-tier to dominant the day Collaros made his first start.

Except that the only playoff game that it was really the collaros show was the Grey Cup... i guess he made the scrambling play to end thr season vs calgary, but the west semi turned when streveler on one leg ran all over the stamps D in the 2nd half, the west final was a pedestrian effort by the offense (I blame lapo because the start was good but he took the foot off the gas) . Grey Cup was just about perfection. So yeah it isn't all collaraos, but he is a big part of it. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Except that the only playoff game that it was really the collaros show was the Grey Cup... i guess he made the scrambling play to end thr season vs calgary, but the west semi turned when streveler on one leg ran all over the stamps D in the 2nd half, the west final was a pedestrian effort by the offense (I blame lapo because the start was good but he took the foot off the gas) . Grey Cup was just about perfection. So yeah it isn't all collaraos, but he is a big part of it. 

Shocked Memes

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Before Collaros - 3rd in the West, 4th overall = Mid-Tier.

Context is everything. Before Collaros multiple games playing our back up QB. At the time we lost Nichols we were 1st in the West. If you want to say mid-tier behind our backup I will accept that. However, saying we were mid tier with our starter healthy in 2019 is complete fallacy. Let me clear it up. With Nichols under centre we were a very good team. With Collaros under centre we became dominant.

Edited by GCn20

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can't see a universe in existence where the Bombers let Collaros leave & sign Reilly. 

I agree with you that it's a highly unlikely scenario. I just am pointing out that I don't lose sleep worrying about our QB's free agency status. If Zach for some reason decided to leave Winnipeg we could basically pick from a good group of available quarterbacks who would love to play in Winnipeg. 

21 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I can watch Shaq Evans quit on that under thrown ball that Rose picked off in the West Final all day.

You will get to see it again...and again...and again in different incarnations throughout his career. Lots of talent, not much effort will be how he is remembered.

8 hours ago, bearpants said:

I absolutely love this quote from Richie:

“We’ve got to get better,” said Hall. “When you look at the big picture, we haven’t accomplished anything. There’s still room for improvement. We have a long ways to get to where we need to be."

It was a great interview. Hall even almost said FIFO.

With a big smile Richie said "you either fit in or you don't fit in."

31 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He talked about this after the Grey Cup also saying that he really loved the city and the people.  This is partially why he stayed in Winnpeg and why I don't see him leaving the team if another team offers 10 - 20 grand more. 

I know Winnipeg doesn't offer near as much as the larger cities or even what's home for Willie,Winnipeg is so laid back,easy to drive,everything you need if you don't need much.