2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

well this answers my question from the other thread. Faaaaaack. That's the shits for Harris. If he's shut down for the regular season, the West Final isn't exactly the time to be shaking off rust. Really hope Oliveira has his **** figured out. We all thought everything was fine after Game 1, but then Games 2/3, he got shut down completely. It wasn't until Harris came back that our offense started to open up. As long as we clinch tomorrow night, then he can spend the next month trying to get it all figured out in case he's gotta carry the mail for playoffs, too......

11 hours ago, CodyT said:

Yeah, but still the question remains. Are their intentions to bring him back? I get what happened. Just wondering what happens next with him

they really really liked him...so I assume so...and he's still relatively young for a reciever..Maybe a next year guy

I am going to go with this being extra cautious from them.

I think Booch speculated that it was an MCL. If so, a minor strain could/should be ready for him to at least share reps with Brady O.

Also, let's not (all of us)  condemn Brady Oliveira for slowing down a little in his 2nd or 3rd pro start after taking a year and a half off and coming back from a serious injury and no pre-season.

I am confident he can pick up the torch and carry it in whatever way we need. We also get to give Augustine a chance to make some plays which he has more than earned. 

Edited by Geebrr

Just now, Noeller said:

well this answers my question from the other thread. Faaaaaack. That's the shits for Harris. If he's shut down for the regular season, the West Final isn't exactly the time to be shaking off rust. Really hope Oliveira has his **** figured out. We all thought everything was fine after Game 1, but then Games 2/3, he got shut down completely. It wasn't until Harris came back that our offense started to open up. As long as we clinch tomorrow night, then he can spend the next month trying to get it all figured out in case he's gotta carry the mail for playoffs, too......

I dont think harris has to worry about rust for the western final. Its a question of how close to 100% will he be, it seems like he hasnt been close to 100% for most of the year. 

Games 2 and 3 buck pooped the bed with the play call and adjusting to a tite front. Buck hasnt shown any creativity or innovation in using his backs. 13 carries in the 2nd week, 5 other guys had carries in that game. 8 total runs in the 3rd week game, 7 for brady. 2 runs in the first half of the week 3 game. 3 in the 3rd q and 2 in the 4th. Our 2 and outs in that game was all about dropped passes. 

Just now, rebusrankin said:

I could see them adding in Cooper in after the bye for somebody like McKnight and beginning to work him in.

That would be excellent, as long as they actually made use of cooper as a DI. Under both plop and buck, we dont make use of substitution packages involving our DI's to get them looks. We could do serious damage if we did that with grant and cooper. 

For discussion purposes... IF Oliveira is not as good as Harris and does not project to be, are the Bombers better off going with an import RB and using the cap space to secure other positions in the future? 

Obviously, not a decision for "today" but perhaps for going forward .

Just now, JCon said:

For discussion purposes... IF Oliveira is not as good as Harris and does not project to be, are the Bombers better off going with an import RB and using the cap space to secure other positions in the future? 

That's a tough questions. Remember that what you're really asking is, if he's not going to be as good as one of the greatest ever should they go another way?....kinda makes it hard on Oliveira.

Luckily our receiving from the backfield is not as important to our success as in past years. We can shut Andrew down for the regular season, put in Brady who will go for 70-100 yards rushing a game and not miss a beat.  We are not running the Lapo short game anymore. Had this development occurred in late 2019 it would have been far more devastating to us than it is now.

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think Oliveira has been very impressive so far in his first season. Like all rookies he will become more consistent and just needs more reps. The guy can run.  I would like to see him get more involved in the short passing game in the flats and then we will not miss a beat post-Harris.

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That's a tough questions. Remember that what you're really asking is, if he's not going to be as good as one of the greatest ever should they go another way?....kinda makes it hard on Oliveira.

I certainly would give BO at least another season of FT duty before even thinking about that. He's shown he is capable imo. Also, Harris is not just the best NAT RB he has been the best RB period. There is no reason to believe we will find an IMP of that quality very easily either. I will add that Buck seems to be a lot less reliant on monster performances from his RBs game in and game out.

Edited by GCn20

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah, that's totally my question. Can he be Harris? Probably not but can he be good enough to keep the Bombers fielding a national at that position? And, then do we back him up with another National or do we keep enough nationals elsewhere on the roster to replace that position, in case of injury, with an import. 

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Luckily our receiving from the backfield is not as important to our success as in past years. We can shut Andrew down for the regular season, put in Brady who will go for 70-100 yards rushing a game and not miss a beat.  We are not running the Lapo short game anymore. Had this development occurred in late 2019 it would have been far more devastating to us than it is now.

I think Oliveira has been very impressive so far in his first season. Like all rookies he will become more consistent and just needs more reps. The guy can run.  I would like to see him get more involved in the short passing game in the flats and then we will not miss a beat post-Harris.

I certainly would give BO at least another season of FT duty before even thinking about that. He's shown he is capable imo. Also, Harris is not just the best NAT RB he has been the best RB period. There is no reason to believe we will find an IMP of that quality very easily either. I will add that Buck seems to be a lot less reliant on monster performances from his RBs game in and game out.

As long as we have Harris, I think we need BO backing him up. Or Augustine. But, after...

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Yeah, that's totally my question. Can he be Harris? Probably not but can he be good enough to keep the Bombers fielding a national at that position? And, then do we back him up with another National or do we keep enough nationals elsewhere on the roster to replace that position, in case of injury, with an import. 

As long as we have Harris, I think we need BO backing him up. Or Augustine. But, after...

Well we have a back up for Oliveira already in Augustine...and remember they drafted Borsa (Back to school). So it looks like the plan is to keep the RB a National....for now anyways.

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Is Harris able to come off the 6 game early? Hope theyre just using an abundance of caution and he can get into a game before the playoffs start. Shaking off a month and a half of rust in the west final is not ideal.

Yes, as per Bauming, Harris can definitely come off the 6 game early...

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

If your question is whether Brady can be good enough to keep our RB a NAT position I think he has already answered that.  He has two 100 yard games already in limited action, our offence seems to be just fine with him in there. He struggled a bit against TO in the back to back but they are a pretty solid front 7. He's a rookie and will only get better.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Exactly. We've seen what happens when you don't establish the run (Please see BC Lions for the most recent example).

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Sounds like his knee sustained structural damage, and those are slow to respond to treatment- we might not see him again this year.

A grade 2 MCL strain is "structural damage" and usually takes about a month or so to heal.

Also very common. No need to freak out right now given the context of our situation.

Just now, Geebrr said:

A grade 2 MCL strain is "structural damage" and usually takes about a month or so to heal.

Also very common. No need to freak out right now given the context of our situation.

I'm a Bomber fan c'mon. We're hypersensitive always waiting for the bottom to fall out. Always happens, I'm watching a game freaking out and my wife will pass by and say I assume the Bombers are losing and then she'll look at the score and say they're winning why are you acting this way? Because I need to hear that final whistle with our point total being more than theirs, then I'll relax. Serenity now.

TBH the fact Harris went for "additional testing" makes me believe tbey couldn't determine if it was grade 1 or grade 2.

A total tear I don't think he is walking like he was and no crutches

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm a Bomber fan c'mon. We're hypersensitive always waiting for the bottom to fall out. Always happens, I'm watching a game freaking out and my wife will pass by and say I assume the Bombers are losing and then she'll look at the score and say they're winning why are you acting this way? Because I need to hear that final whistle with our point total being more than theirs, then I'll relax. Serenity now.

Nah, time to change that mindset.

Edited by Geebrr