2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So, random question here. Was it ever confirmed what Lawler was impaired by? Everyone has assumed alcohol, but was it ever clearly stated?

Have wondered the same thing actually. Could certainly have been something like weed and the cops could smell it. 

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

People make mistakes, he is owning that mistake. 

We should have his back, he is paying a price most of us would not be subjected to for the same dumb mistake. 

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

How so?  Are you minimalizing what he did because you are a fan of his and he plays on our team?   

It's not like I want us to lose our best receiver and I take joy that the team is not as good now without him.   I guess how I difer from yourself is that I take real life as more important then my hobby of following a sports team.    I don't give two craps if someone works at a local store or if they are a star football player... when someone drinks and drives they should be crucified.  This isn't a 18 year old kid making a childish mistake.  He's a grown man why make excuses or try to find reasons like "He may have only had 2 drinks" ...  the man ****** up and he should pay the price.   

So in my opinion I picture myself as a responsible adult and sees the situation as how bad it truly is while someone like yourself looks like a clueless teenager behind a keyboard.    If you ever get a chance to speak with a family or a friend who lost someone to a drunk driver hitting them maybe you should ask those people "Well maybe the driver only had one or two,  he didn't do anything really bad did he".   

If I was suspended from work for 1 day without pay... it hardly would make a serious impact on my outlook when in comparison if I were to lose a year of pay I would truly think long and hard before every screwing up again.  

DUI charges and fines are FAR more severe then most other petty crimes in our system ,  they do this for a reason.    

To play devils advocate... Leonard in Saskatchewan lost what 3 days of pay for "cheating"....  yet Lawler potentially could of killed someone and gets only 1 pay day docked?   That doesn't seem right IMO.  

To also put this into perspective, the guy who maimed my mother for life had his drivers taken away for 1 year. Then he had to pay a very high cost to get it back, 2-3 grand. His parents paid it. He didnt miss any days of work or get fired. He wasnt arrested or charged. I lived in a small town and went to school with his younger brother, and at an earlier point he dated my sister. He bitched and moaned endlessly to all who would listen about not having his license and the cost of his insurance. 

My ex's dad got soo many tickets and DUI's they took his drivers permanently. (he was intoxicated and flipped his truck on a back road in the middle of summer for the "final straw") Only he drove long distances for work. And his boss hired a high end lawyer who was able to get it knocked down so he could drive for work for 3 years then got his full license back. They listed his residence as his cabin, and since he worked all over basically every car ride could be considered work. 

I can share too many stories like that.

I take DUI very seriously, and personally. Our society does not. Drive around the south east of the province and youll see more intoxicated drivers than drivers on their phone on the weekend. Most people arent good or bad. Every one makes a bad decision every now and then. Lawlers actions past this point will forever come under a greater deal of scrutiny. If he has a minor issue, he may get passed over completely by the NFL and miss out on his window. Half way through this year he's on track to get an NFL deal. If this went worse, he couldve been out of football for good. Id say the punishment, and potential further punishment is in line with the crime. Far, far more so than it is for most civilians. 

Just now, JCon said:

I'm pretty proud of MBB today. We can be fragmented as a forum on a lot of issues but I think we all understand the gravity of this situation and I don't see anyone downplaying it. 

We may not agree on the punishment but we're not dismissing this behaviour as acceptable. 

he will be punished by the extent of the law which fits what he did...and he gets extra punishmnet by the public exposure to it, and losing a game cheque...more than sufficient as joe average 99 percent of the time can hide it from most people if not all

Just now, Eternal optimist said:

I mean, silver lining to this is if Lawler does move past it, it could hamper his opportunities south of the border... Meaning he'd be more likely to stay with us longer term and for cheaper than if he was 100% clean.

that is not the classiest view of this situation.......

26 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I'm just saying, all else being equal, an employee with substance abuse issues is more problematic than one without.

To clarify, I hope Lawler gets the help he needs, and does move on from this.

Not necessarily. problems come in many different forms and many are as problematic as alcohol dependency/abuse or worse. A lot worse.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

It's a fact tho. Countless stories of football and hockey players getting tons of leeway here.. and everywhere for that matter. Teemu used to race his Ferrari or lambo on the perimeter. Several former Jets were known coke users and abusers. Never heard about it. I'm just saying.

I doubt we hear about it if it's Wheeler 

Years ago that did happen quite often. Nowadays it's next to impossible for cops to pull tickets and if they try they pay the consequences themselves. It's the digital age, once a license plate number is entered into the system even for enquiry, there is a record that can be traced. There are a lot more checks and balances than there used to be and that is a good thing!

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Would they arrest Blake Wheeler tho or would it be handled internally and we wouldn't even know about it? 

I read Teemu's book and he said back in the 1990's on the Jets it was pretty common for some of the guys on the team (not Teemu) to get blotto after games and then drive home.  He witnessed one guy (didn't name him) who was hammered and slammed into a light standard.  The cops showed up and recognized him as a Jet and got him out of there without charging him, because of course he was with the Jets and the cops didn't want to be blamed for the team losing a player.  Teemu couldn't believe it.   I don't think that would happen now. 

this whole Lawler situation reminded me of something that came up a few years back, when there was talk of outlawing drinks in the locker room after the game. I'm not sure whatever came of it, but it was a really big deal. Walby said that back in the day they smacked back a ton after the game in the locker room and then went home. It's just how it was done. And a few years ago there was talk that it was getting banned...no more drinking in the locker room after the game because of potential DUI situations. Not sure if they ever went through with it, or just kept it under the table kinda thing.....

Because the infraction occurred in Mb., Lawler will require an appt. with AFM's IDP (impaired drivers program). There he will receive an assessment and be involved in educational workshop(s). Anything further will require additional investigation. He will also receive a fine and be subject to license suspension. There are many different types and intensities of treatment (rehabilitation) he could choose to be involved in, both in, and out of province.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this whole Lawler situation reminded me of something that came up a few years back, when there was talk of outlawing drinks in the locker room after the game. I'm not sure whatever came of it, but it was a really big deal. Walby said that back in the day they smacked back a ton after the game in the locker room and then went home. It's just how it was done. And a few years ago there was talk that it was getting banned...no more drinking in the locker room after the game because of potential DUI situations. Not sure if they ever went through with it, or just kept it under the table kinda thing.....

If only cell phones existed back in the day... people would be amazed at how certain pro atheletes or movie stars behaved.    I could only imagine the videos of classic 80's wrestlers at local pubs! 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

How so?  Are you minimalizing what he did because you are a fan of his and he plays on our team?   

It's not like I want us to lose our best receiver and I take joy that the team is not as good now without him.   I guess how I difer from yourself is that I take real life as more important then my hobby of following a sports team.    I don't give two craps if someone works at a local store or if they are a star football player... when someone drinks and drives they should be crucified.  This isn't a 18 year old kid making a childish mistake.  He's a grown man why make excuses or try to find reasons like "He may have only had 2 drinks" ...  the man ****** up and he should pay the price.   

So in my opinion I picture myself as a responsible adult and sees the situation as how bad it truly is while someone like yourself looks like a clueless teenager behind a keyboard.    If you ever get a chance to speak with a family or a friend who lost someone to a drunk driver hitting them maybe you should ask those people "Well maybe the driver only had one or two,  he didn't do anything really bad did he".   

If I was suspended from work for 1 day without pay... it hardly would make a serious impact on my outlook when in comparison if I were to lose a year of pay I would truly think long and hard before every screwing up again.  

DUI charges and fines are FAR more severe then most other petty crimes in our system ,  they do this for a reason.    

To play devils advocate... Leonard in Saskatchewan lost what 3 days of pay for "cheating"....  yet Lawler potentially could of killed someone and gets only 1 pay day docked?   That doesn't seem right IMO.  

One game suspension would equate to one game paycheque so to put it in the proper perspective that would mean 2 weeks pay for you if suspended. How would you feel if your work suspended you for 2 weeks?

Thing is, Lawler didn't kill anyone. Yeah, he messed up & will pay dearly by being suspended, loss of a game cheque & being shamed by the public. Plus now he has legal issues to deal with that may or may not have negative consequences on his playing in Canada. Lawler is looking at a heavy fine, loss of driving priveliges & maybe even jail time. However, he's not a murderer so it's a lousy analogy. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Leonard's 3 games was for 2 separate offenses... He received a 2 game suspension for failing to provide a urine sample, then an additional game for verbal abuse/unacceptable behaviour towards the drug officials. His 2 game suspension was in accordance with the CFL's drug testing policy for a 1st time offense, which can be found here:

https://www.cfl.ca/2015/05/05/cfl-drug-policy-glance/

A better comparison is how the Riders handled the debacle of Charleston Hughes' DUI ... Which he wasn't even suspended for (he was fined an undisclosed amount, and scratched the first game after news broke)

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One game suspension would equate to one game paycheque so to put it in the proper perspective that would mean 2 weeks pay for you if suspended. How would you feel if your work suspended you for 2 weeks?

Thing is, Lawler didn't kill anyone. Yeah, he messed up & will pay dearly by being suspended, loss of a game cheque & being shamed by the public. Plus now he has legal issues to deal with that may or may not have negative consequences on his playing in Canada. Lawler is looking at a heavy fine, loss of driving priveliges & maybe even jail time. However, he's not a murderer so it's a lousy analogy. 

they only get pay during half the year too, its basically like a regular person losing almost a month of salary. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Had a buddy send this to me. 

Quality player, great person. No matter how his career goes, he has done the team and city proud.