2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

I grew up in an alcoholic family. My father was a drunk. My Mom couldn't drive. You have no idea how terrifying it was going to a wedding or a social event with my parents. Then watching my Dad drink himself into oblivion every time. Afterwards sitting in the back seat of our car with my dad piss assed drunk driving home. There I was sitting in the back seat as a kid just praying we'd get home without being killed. So many times. There was such a feeling of helplessness by me all those times as I was too young to drive. I can only imagine how helpless my Mother felt. She never got her drivers license because she was born in 1912 & raised on the farm something like 10 km from the nearest school so she only had a Grade 2 education. She could barely read or write. She didn't have the confidence to drive. 

I get what Lawler did. It was so wrong to put himself & others at risk. I hope this was just a one time thing & he learns his lesson. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I grew up in an alcoholic family. My father was a drunk. My Mom couldn't drive. You have no idea how terrifying it was going to a wedding or a social event with my parents. Then watching my Dad drink himself into oblivion every time. Afterwards sitting in the back seat of our car with my dad piss assed drunk driving home. There I was sitting in the back seat as a kid just praying we'd get home without being killed. So many times. There was such a feeling of helplessness by me all those times as I was too young to drive. I can only imagine how helpless my Mother felt. She never got her drivers license because she was born in 1912 & raised on the farm something like 10 km from the nearest school so she only had a Grade 2 education. She could barely read or write. She didn't have the confidence to drive. 

I get what Lawler did. It was so wrong to put himself & others at risk. I hope this was just a one time thing & he learns his lesson. 

I grew up in a multi generational drug and alcohol abuse family. Its why ive never drank or done any drugs. And when I was 16 my mom was put in a wheel chair and remains disabled to this day from an accident with a drunk driver. Alcohol is an awful drug and it baffles me how its considered so much less then soo many soft drugs. 

Drunk driving is among the worst decisions you can make. But at the same time, for an alcoholic whose drunk the decision making process isnt cut and dry. I hope he gets the help he needs. Hes a great player and seems like a good person. Health has to come before football. Be it physical, mental or what have you. 

Im guessing by the way things are being dealt with that he is going to attempt to get the help needed. I hope that if he doesnt however, if he quits or goes through the motions, that we dont play him again. 

I wonder if we might make a call into deveir posey now. 

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

A door has closed for one person and another has opened for someone else. A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it- then it becomes a lesson.

When my daughter was 5, she coined the term:  "A mistake is only learning by accident".

Edited by Wideleft

When I was around Lawler's age I was in the hospitality industry. Work late, have a beer or two with my peers and go home and never thought anything of it. Around that time the big push for increased impaired driving penalties and awareness campaign was just starting and after witnessing many of my customers getting caught for impaired I bought a portable pocket breathalyzer for myself. It was kind of an impulse buy, as they were just coming out and my intention was to carry it with me at work and if I spotted any of our regulars on their way out I would offer them to use it. To make a long story short, was having a couple beers at closing time with the staff while cleaning up and decided to give it a whirl. To my surprise I blew over the limit. I had driven home many times after doing the exact same thing. It was on that day I realized that many people who go out for a drink or two at the pub with a buddy are likely unaware they are over the limit even when they are. I am not excusing drunk driving in any way just stating a fact. I learned that day that despite the fact I did not feel impaired that I was and I am glad I did not find out in the back seat of a squad car. I set forth on politely warning all my regulars who I knew would come and then drive home after. Some appreciated it, some didn't and some didn't care. Just throwing it out there that not everyone who steps behind the wheel of a vehicle impaired is necessarily making the conscious choice to do so. I have long advocated for breathalyzers to be implemented in every bar and lounge so that people can learn what their tolerances really are because they vary significantly from person to person.

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When I was around Lawler's age I was in the hospitality industry. Work late, have a beer or two with my peers and go home and never thought anything of it. Around that time the big push for increased impaired driving penalties and awareness campaign was just starting and after witnessing many of my customers getting caught for impaired I bought a portable pocket breathalyzer for myself. It was kind of an impulse buy, as they were just coming out and my intention was to carry it with me at work and if I spotted any of our regulars on their way out I would offer them to use it. To make a long story short, was having a couple beers at closing time with the staff while cleaning up and decided to give it a whirl. To my surprise I blew over the limit. I had driven home many times after doing the exact same thing. It was on that day I realized that many people who go out for a drink or two at the pub with a buddy are likely unaware they are over the limit even when they are. I am not excusing drunk driving in any way just stating a fact. I learned that day that despite the fact I did not feel impaired that I was and I am glad I did not find out in the back seat of a squad car. I set forth on politely warning all my regulars who I knew would come and then drive home after. Some appreciated it, some didn't and some didn't care. Just throwing it out there that not everyone who steps behind the wheel of a vehicle impaired is necessarily making the conscious choice to do so. I have long advocated for breathalyzers to be implemented in every bar and lounge so that people can learn what their tolerances really are because they vary significantly from person to person.

One of the problems is that just over 0.05 isn't intoxicated and for the vast majority barely increases the likelyhood of causing an accident.  Unfortunately accident likelyhood goes up exponentially so you need to set the legal limit well below the point where you've substantially increased someone's likelyhood of causing an accident.  That results in a lot of people driving just over the limit, but much fewer people driving with a dangerous level of intoxication.

32 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You never really know until you find out. I've had 2 beer and driven home as well,driven while impaired(has been years since) and it's just not worth the risk. On the same topic,been a year today aince I've had a single drink,maybe ill celebrate with a drink lol

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wasn't Hughes convicted? 

I'm not a lawyer but the fact is that the offence to which Hughes eventually pleaded guilty occurred before December 18, 2018.

After that date things changed. And so a different, more stringent, standard will be applied to Lawler's case and the immigration bureaucrats who decide if someone can enter Canada will be applying that tougher standard.

Again, here is the link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=152

We have no idea if this was a one off mistake for Kenny Lawler or if he indeed suffers from AUD and needs help. I will also point out that in all likelihood 1 in 8 (or probably more because we are mostly male)  on this forum will have AUD . I feel bad for the guy. From such a high point to such a low. Life is about to get ugly for him for a while. I wish him all the best.

Weird.  I could have sworn I read this morning that Lawler was in a single vehicle accident before being charged.  Cannot find where I read that now.

(Update)

It's been so long since I read the paper this morning, that I forgot what I read. It's in the Free Press.  No injuries to anyone.

Bombers' Lawler arrested for DUI, suspended by team - Winnipeg Free Press

Edited by Wideleft

19 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Weird.  I could have sworn I read this morning that Lawler was in a single vehicle accident before being charged.  Cannot find where I read that now.

(Update)

It's been so long since I read the paper this morning, that I forgot what I read. It's in the Free Press.  No injuries to anyone.

Bombers' Lawler arrested for DUI, suspended by team - Winnipeg Free Press

Thank goodness he didn't kill anyone otherwise this would have been a much different discussion.

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

whats article say....i dont subscribe to the online version of the paper

First of all, I encourage everyone who can to subscribe to the Freep - it is a really good publication with some fabulous writers.

Here you go:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers receiver Kenny Lawler was arrested Monday morning on suspicion of driving impaired and will miss Friday's game against the visiting Edmonton Elks.

Lawler, who was in the midst of a breakout season, leading the CFL with 703 receiving yards to go with four touchdowns, has been suspended one game by the CFL club.

"Kenny informed the team today of his arrest for operating a motor vehicle while impaired early this morning," the Bombers said, in a prepared statement released late Monday. "Upon further investigation, the club has suspended Kenny for Friday’s game and has reported the incident to the league office. We take this incident very seriously and have spoken at length with Kenny throughout the day.

"Kenny recognizes the seriousness of the situation and that this type of behaviour is unacceptable and inexcusable. He has agreed to seek assistance as it relates to alcohol abuse and has cooperated fully with police on the matter."

The 27-year-old was just days removed from the best performance of his CFL career, registering 12 catches for 205 yards and a touchdown in a 30-9 win over the Lions at BC Place. He was building off a promising rookie season in 2019, where he led the Bombers with 637 receiving yards in 16 games.

According to team sources, Lawler was involved in a single-vehicle accident that caused no injury. He has been released from custody and is expected to address his teammates sometime on Tuesday, when the Bombers return to practice ahead of their Week 10 tilt with the Elks at IG Field.

Drinking and driving.....with the horrendous consequences I don't see why people still do it.....Chances are they're going to get nailed and rightly so.....While I was reading Speedflex's account of his family's nightmare with drink, it brought back a memory I can never forget....My dad suffered from PTSD afer the war and his choice for an anesthetic was alcohol...We owned a Fargo panel truck in the fifties with an old davenport couch set up in the back for all of the kids...I remember going down Main street about 80 miles an hour....through red lights with my dad drunk at the wheel....My pregnant  mother was sitting beside him and all of us kids were in the back...My mom was pleading for him to stop or at least slow down but to no avail...I just watched the traffic barely missing us as we went through intersections...Finally something must have gone through my dads clouded mind that this was a disaster in the making and he drove us home...He continued on and went off to McPhillips and finally the highway where he flipped the truck into a waterfilled ditch where the mounties found him with a broken neck and his nose just above the water line....How he survived is beyond me but things could have been much worse had he not dropped us all off....Drinking and driving should never be an option for anyone and if you do it ....the consequences can be a disastrous life altering event....Don't do it

Edited by Stickem

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

This is a massive disappointment and poor timing.  Had he DUI'd last week we could of at least suspended him for the season and then bring in Duke to replace him.   The guy really let his team down,  it's not hard to call a cab if you've had a drink or three. 

Are you saying that intoxicated people make good choices about whether they are fit to drive?

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Under current laws, you do not have to be over .08 or .05 to be charged with DWI- all you need do is show behavioural signs of impairment, be in the care and control of a motor vehicle (including a boat) while impaired or refuse to provide a sample.  OTC medications, street drugs, prescription meds, fatigue and dehydration as well as emotional or physical distress can render the effects of alcohol debilitative. 

Single car accident ups the ante. When I was young, drunk driving was something everyone did. I'm sure I was over .08 many times after the bar, but I never had an accident.

The Bombers handled it quickly and professionally.

Once is a poor decision that doesn't equal alcoholism. Lets hope that's what it is.

A mistake is a mistake, sometimes, it's also a learning experience.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I dont know why people are talking about bringing in receivers etc. Lawler is going to miss one game. We have the replacements in house already. Tyrrell will likely start in place of Wolly. 

I would hazard a guess that we still would have beat the Lions without Lawler's 200+ yards.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

This is a massive disappointment and poor timing.  Had he DUI'd last week we could of at least suspended him for the season and then bring in Duke to replace him.   The guy really let his team down,  it's not hard to call a cab if you've had a drink or three. 

Suspend him for the season? Wtf?