On This Day In Bombers History:

Noeller

5 minutes ago, itchy said:

Two things I will never forget about that;

Waking my wife up cheering so loud, and her being super pissed

Talking to people at work the next day that turned the TV off and went to bed before that play.

I was hosting a Morning Show at that time, and had gone to bed at half time (ugh to early morning alarms). I was driving to work and the news cast talked about the Bombers winning, and what the final score was, and that was it. When I got to work, my News Director at the time was just going berserk. He'd grabbed the clip of Irving's call (we were an affiliate on the Bombers Radio Network at the time) and was using it as the lead for that day's sports all day. I couldn't believe I'd missed it. Friggin' morning shows.....

I was doing wellsite geology at the time and that took me to SW Manitoba at the time, I had got in that evening and was watching the game before getting some sleep to start work in the morning. was pretty quiet on the rig but I leapt out of my chair in excitement when they made that play. Just remarkable stuff. 

I remember hearing Milt talk about the play and how he got so excited when he saw cover 0.

I remember that night my dad went to bed and I was watching the rest wondering if I should stop wasting my time watching the game. Glad I didn't follow my dad's lead that time. Wish he was awake so I could have shared that moment with him. Likely because of that moment, and another where Westy hit a 50+ yarder at the end, I don't give up on games.

I was at the lake, everyone else had gone to bed, tried the radio feed earlier but the delay to the video feed on the TV was about 6 seconds, so stuck with the TSN broadcast. After the Glenn fumble and the Now-Elks took the lead, wanted Irving’s take on how we lost that game we deserved to win. So I have it on in the background and hear Bob say “he’s got it AND HE’S GONE!” Not totally believing what I heard I locked in to the TV feed not sure how they could pull it off. As soon as I saw the cover zero I imagined the play, but even then was stunned how the corner lowered his head and ran past the tackle. Only other thing I remember to this day is Glen Suitor, despite his own denials on the topic, yelling “Oh no!” As the play unfolded. I defy anyone to tell me he said something different. I don’t blame it on his homerism as much as his shock as a former defensive player that such a gaffe could be made, but either way it sounded bad. 

And stunningly the Edmonton defence would botch a similar play against the Lions a year or two later against Geroy Simon at game’s end to give one away. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

It's exactly what Suitor said and nobody's ever denied it. It didn't sound bad. It sounded like a guy who couldn't believe what he was seeing. He wasn't cheering one way or another... Just honestly couldn't believe it. 

I have heard Suitor deny that he said “oh no” when asked, says that he uttered “oh my”. Regardless, saying “oh no” infers that he saw the play as a mistake or a bad thing. There was a mistake for sure but it paints the whole play in a negative light rather than as a great play, IMO. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

. Regardless, saying “oh no” infers that he saw the play as a mistake or a bad thing.

former defensive back sees receiver make a couple DB look like tools, yeah I bet his perspective sees it as a bad thing.  It's not a Bomber thing, just from a defensive perspective that was a huge ******* mistake. You get Dunigan in there and he'd be loving the fact that a qb and receiver made the defense look like chumps. 

On 2021-07-20 at 7:03 AM, Bubba Zanetti said:

Man, 15 years ago now! Where does the time go?

I would say it disappeared in broken dreams and shattered hopes...but not anymore....

On 2021-07-20 at 3:36 PM, Noeller said:

It's exactly what Suitor said and nobody's ever denied it. It didn't sound bad. It sounded like a guy who couldn't believe what he was seeing. He wasn't cheering one way or another... Just honestly couldn't believe it. 

I concur.  Suitor is a fan of the game and he was just speaking as a fan there.  Don't hold that against him at all.

On 2021-07-20 at 9:12 PM, 17to85 said:

former defensive back sees receiver make a couple DB look like tools, yeah I bet his perspective sees it as a bad thing.  It's not a Bomber thing, just from a defensive perspective that was a huge ******* mistake. You get Dunigan in there and he'd be loving the fact that a qb and receiver made the defense look like chumps. 

I can just hear Matty on that play..."woo hoo hooo"

I remember exactly where I was when that play happened... I was at a friend's house watching the game... I actually got up to leave but thought "f-it, I'll just watch this final play anyways".... so I was literally standing in the doorway of his basement entrance when the play happened... excitement ensued....