Around The NHL 2021/22

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Now the offers come in for 50/50 salary split.

Regardless of salary it’s an incredible risk taking him on with the pattern of behaviour he has demonstrated. Who knows maybe a NHL team will roll the dice and hope for the best. What will the message be to the other players he will be joining? Don’t worry we don’t believe in accountability and responsibility.  If you have great hockey skill we tend to look the other way. Welcome!

Edited by HardCoreBlue

nah, but I do get what he's saying. Baseball players....who face WAY less risk of injury.....making 30-40 million PER YEAR (!!!) while hockey players, who take a beating, night in and night out, get paid a 10th of that. 

I don't mind football and hockey players talking about being under-paid, because of their risk of injury. Baseball and basketball players can get ******...

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

nah, but I do get what he's saying. Baseball players....who face WAY less risk of injury.....making 30-40 million PER YEAR (!!!) while hockey players, who take a beating, night in and night out, get paid a 10th of that. 

I don't mind football and hockey players talking about being under-paid, because of their risk of injury. Baseball and basketball players can get ******...

Just because they are paid less does not mean they are under-paid.

You can't compare their salaries to an average person. They do things that less than 1% of people can do, and their career can end at any moment with a blown out knee or a concussion. I don't have any hard feelings about pro athletes making what they make. I just wish I was born with a fraction of that ability. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You can't compare their salaries to an average person. They do things that less than 1% of people can do, and their career can end at any moment with a blown out knee or a concussion. I don't have any hard feelings about pro athletes making what they make. I just wish I was born with a fraction of that ability. 

There are many people who are in the top 1% of what people can do, but don't get paid that money, and have injury risk.   It is just in something other than the top professional sports leagues.   Even if you want to keep this to athletics, there are a lot of Olympians who are in the top 1% of what they do that don't make that money.

By your rational, you can't compare hockey players to basketball players, as the top 1% of basketball players make X, the top 1% of hockey players make Y, and top 1% of high jump athletes make Z.

They all end up making what the market they compete in pays.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

You can't compare their salaries to an average person. They do things that less than 1% of people can do, and their career can end at any moment with a blown out knee or a concussion. 

Doesn't change the fact they're not underpaid. Making millions of dollars (or even hundreds of thousands) to play a sport is a privilege. But for Colaiacovo to whine on Twitter while not looking at the factors as to why other athletes in different sports get paid more than he and his colleagues do is pretty tone-deaf when you consider the state of the world at present and how many fans of these sports don't have the financial stability pro athletes enjoy.

Furthermore, those exorbitant contracts are often insured and even with a career-ending injury, an athlete still gets paid.

And it's not like the average person can't suffer similar injuries in their work. First responders, medical professionals, tradespeople - just to name a few - face injury risk while on the job and in some instances, their income is not guaranteed.

Colaicovo earned nearly $13M while playing professional hockey. Going on social media to cry about NHL salaries vis a vis other leagues' salaries is a bad look, IMO.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

My initial point was that I understand why a hockey player feels underpaid when they see what baseball players are making. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Yea mlb players. I’m always ‘amused’ when I see a baseball player and his agent turn down a 12 year 256 million dollar contract with a straight face. Really this is it? Come back to us when you’re ready to be serious.