Around The NHL 2021/22

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm surprised they couldn't do a trade with either of them while retaining some salary... at least get some assets or draft picks?

I'd say near impossible to trade Parise with 4 years left on his 7.5m contract. He bottomed out on a "comeback year" 🤔 for the Wild.

Suter same contract but maybe someone go Keith on him.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

On 2021-07-13 at 9:52 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Time to start a new thread now that the cup has been won.

I see the same scenario with Nugent-Hopkins in a few years.

Get a couple of more productive years from him but the price you pay for this is giving him more contact years then warranted. 

Bubble wrap strategy on purpose.   

On 2021-07-13 at 10:01 AM, captaincanuck12 said:

I thought that was the dumbest signing by the Wild in terms of length, 15 M of cap gone for 9 straight years.   I liked Parise and Suter but Minne greatly overpaid and it didn't really bring them success.    It's now Matt Dumba's team.

I temember when they signed them, listening to kfan minnespolis, they were promoting this, bring parise home.

lol.

even I knew it was stupid move.

Edited by Mark F

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I see the same scenario with Nugent-Hopkins in a few years.

Get a couple of more productive years from him but the price you pay for this is giving him more contact years then warranted. 

Bubble wrap strategy on purpose.   

RNH will be paid less in his 30's then Little :D which makes it a great contract.

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I temember when they signed them, listening to kfan minnespolis, they were promoting this, bring parise home.

lol.

even I knew it was stupid move.

Correct me if im wrong. Did they not get a new owner who promised to open the wallet at the time?

52 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

That kid will never "get it". He's going to be a one trick pony for as long as his body holds up. So much potential for him to be Ovechkin 2.0 but he's going to waste it.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

My guess he's also getting some 'guidance and support' from people in his inner circle that helps facilitate this rationale.  

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Back in the day we use to call players who didn't come back defensively and hung around centre ice as cherry pickers. 

All that said, Laine isn’t wrong……..hear me out. 
He has an offensive gift maybe one or two other guys in the NHL have (Ovi and Stamkos). There’s a phrase “you don’t drive a Lamborghini like it’s a Jeep” but in today’s lockdown NHL that individual creativity doesn’t fly, teams want cookie cutter players that have good advanced metrics and play “the system”. So the team would prefer a 20 goal Laine who plays sound defence vs. the 50-60 goal Laine who cherry picks. Guess which is of more value to Laine? Andrew Copp wants a big raise and won’t point to his defensive strengths to get it, he’ll point to his offensive surge this year, like every player does. And fans prefer to see a 60 goal scorer over a 1970’s Selke candidate who kills penalties. So I get his frustration, and don’t we all secretly love a guy who candidly speaks his mind rather than diving into cliche world in every interview, even if we publicly tsk tsk the bad form of it and call him selfish?

23 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

All that said, Laine isn’t wrong……..hear me out. 
He has an offensive gift maybe one or two other guys in the NHL have (Ovi and Stamkos). There’s a phrase “you don’t drive a Lamborghini like it’s a Jeep” but in today’s lockdown NHL that individual creativity doesn’t fly, teams want cookie cutter players that have good advanced metrics and play “the system”. So the team would prefer a 20 goal Laine who plays sound defence vs. the 50-60 goal Laine who cherry picks. Guess which is of more value to Laine? Andrew Copp wants a big raise and won’t point to his defensive strengths to get it, he’ll point to his offensive surge this year, like every player does. And fans prefer to see a 60 goal scorer over a 1970’s Selke candidate who kills penalties. So I get his frustration, and don’t we all secretly love a guy who candidly speaks his mind rather than diving into cliche world in every interview, even if we publicly tsk tsk the bad form of it and call him selfish?

Problem is for every goal he scores he gives one up due to his putrid defensive play. It sounds like the guy just wants to float around center ice and get fed one timers on the PP.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Problem is for every goal he scores he gives one up with due to his putrid defensive play. It sounds like the guy just wants to float around center ice and get fed one timers on the PP.

True. And he would counter by saying “if I get better defensively I will still give up 20-25 against if I score 20. If I play my way I may give up 40 against but might hit 60. And the more I score the more the other team chases the game, improving our offensive chances on our end.” Selfish, but if he can back it up, itain’t bragging. 

I guess Montreal’s GM figures the surprise Cup run has bought him some goodwill with the fans, because they are playing some dangerous games with the expansion draft. First they announce a “career threatening injury” for Shea Weber (who funnily enough looked healthy throughout the playoffs) and leave him unprotected, which many experts figure is a phoney statement to protect Chariot, Edmundson, and Petry on defence and scare Seattle away from risking the Weber pick. The league actually said they are watching closely to see if any monkey business occurs. Now they hear that Seattle will take Jake Allen so they expose Carey Price figuring the high salary will scare off Seattle once again. My hope is that they grab Price and call Montreal’s bluff. The fans would lose it, and at worst Seattle has a rock solid goalie in the Mark Andra Fleury vein, or they go back to Montreal and negotiate a trade with them so return the Habs saviour this past decade to them. 

All this to say those who complain that Chevy made no moves forget how Vegas burned so many teams last time. Take your lumps, lose one player and move on. Appleton or DeMelo are not the difference between winning a Stanley Cup and missing the playoffs.