2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

What dumb questions. Adams starts if he's able to. He's our deep threat, big play guy. If all incumbents start week one, then they won the competition. It doesn't mean that they aren't happy with our new receivers. My guess is that we'll have one receiver starting week one who wasn't with us last year.

Try too hard guy.... Stamps have less receivers on their roster today than we do and they have obvious spots to fill.

I haven't gone through every roster. Maybe someone who likes to do that can tell me how many teams brought in 20+ receivers this year.

Because the logic is dumb too. 

Suggesting that the Bombers are not happy with their receiving corps because they don't have a 1000-yd receiver in 2019 is dumb. Forgetting the fact that it's partly by design and play-calling by Lapo. Our offensive plays in 2019 are RUN heavy because why not, we have a dual threat in the backfield with Harris and Streveller, our OL dominate on the run plays and that's our best chance to win.

I agree that they bring in competition to upgrade, not only the receiver position. If the new ones beat the incumbents that's an upgrade. Bombers do that every year. Every team does that every year. But to say they bring in competition because they are not happy with the current ones, that's dumb. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

14 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Where is old Nate these days?  I miss him, kind of like I miss that abscessed tooth I had a few years ago.  Is he still running his shop in Osbourne Village?  His only redeeming quality - he sold vintage Bomber merch if I recall correctly.

Last I saw of Nate he was over at the Stamps forum because he had gotten kicked off Riderfans. He may be in CFL forum purgatory right now...he was running out of runway.

DBs and Receivers always dominate TC rosters on every CFL team. They are the two positions with the highest turnover and highest number of positions to fill in the CFL. Bringing in 20 receivers is simply a symptom of having an extended TC capacity and a unique covid protocol in place that may deplete rosters. It in no way indicates the Bombers are unhappy with any of the incumbent receivers. In a normal year TB may have a point but it is unlikely this is going to be a normal year, having extended looks at several players that are playing skill positions is necessary this year because depth is going to be paramount to success when covid protocols cause roster chaos.

41 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Last I saw of Nate he was over at the Stamps forum because he had gotten kicked off Riderfans. He may be in CFL forum purgatory right now...he was running out of runway.

Last heard from on the CFL.ca. board quite awhile ago...I believe he wore out his welcome there as well...He was still operating his bookstore last I heard ....Could Nasty Nate be still in the building hmmmm there's a few posters on here that sound like him....Ya just never know???

30 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Last heard from on the CFL.ca. board quite awhile ago...I believe he wore out his welcome there as well...He was still operating his bookstore last I heard ....Could Nasty Nate be still in the building hmmmm there's a few posters on here that sound like him....Ya just never know???

I did hear that Lyle Bauer bought into his store as a silent partner....lol

When Lyle left the Bombers that probably killed Nate's desire to be on boards as he kind of lost his reason for existing.   My avatar was Lyle Bauer on Ourbombers purely to bug him.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

DBs and Receivers always dominate TC rosters on every CFL team. They are the two positions with the highest turnover and highest number of positions to fill in the CFL. Bringing in 20 receivers is simply a symptom of having an extended TC capacity and a unique covid protocol in place that may deplete rosters. It in no way indicates the Bombers are unhappy with any of the incumbent receivers. In a normal year TB may have a point but it is unlikely this is going to be a normal year, having extended looks at several players that are playing skill positions is necessary this year because depth is going to be paramount to success when covid protocols cause roster chaos.

Did most CFL teams bring in 20+ receivers? Do teams who are happy with their receiving crew still have 16 or more receivers still on their roster? If most teams brought in around 20 and still have around 16 on their rosters, then the expanded TC capacity and 2 years of newbies is likely the answer. If not, then it's more likely that the Bombers specifically targeted the receiver spot, which would indicate a perceived need. (Like that better than 'unhappy with')

Teams with spots to fill at receiver like Calgary bring in more competition and still have 16 left. Teams who are pretty happy with their receiving crew like the Lions bring in less competition and still have 11 left.

4 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Because the logic is dumb too. 

Suggesting that the Bombers are not happy with their receiving corps because they don't have a 1000-yd receiver in 2019 is dumb. Forgetting the fact that it's partly by design and play-calling by Lapo. Our offensive plays in 2019 are RUN heavy because why not, we have a dual threat in the backfield with Harris and Streveller, our OL dominate on the run plays and that's our best chance to win.

I agree that they bring in competition to upgrade, not only the receiver position. If the new ones beat the incumbents that's an upgrade. Bombers do that every year. Every team does that every year. But to say they bring in competition because they are not happy with the current ones, that's dumb. 

You countered a fact based argument with a 'what if' argument like they are equal. :D They're not. Now you're taking one fact and suggesting that, by itself, it's dumb. That's debatable, but add in the number of receivers we brought in and the number still on the roster, and you can see how I came to my opinion. BTW: I'm not unhappy with our current receivers myself, but I can certainly see why the Bombers might want to bring in another play maker into the receiving corps.

We have 1 more db in camp than wrs.  Most teams have a similar number of wrs and dbs right now. If any thing we have a disproportionately high number of rbs. I don't think we've cut any rbs but we've cut every other position short of kicker. 

If we were worried about wr we would've picked up one of the proven vets in free agency. The fact we haven't been linked at all sinks the theory we aren't happy with our wrs.

If the mafia are worried about any thing it's rb and kicker. Harris has driven the teams yards gained and medlock set the record for fgs made not long ago plus his punting has been a big boost to field position with our offense leading in 2 and outs for a few years. 

20 hours ago, Nolby said:

Still 9 more days left,I'm confident but it'll be very disappointing if we can't sell out our stadium after winning the cup after 29 years.

I would love to attend and being fully vaccinated,  i could, but i have kids that can't be vaccinated and being in a large crowd is not something i'm willing to risk yet.. The chances catching and transmitting the virus is relatively low, coupled with low numbers here in MB, its low risk, but there is still a risk and we are just letting our kids see their cousins and hopefully friends soon.

I'm sure there are many other fans that are uneasy being in a crowd when they can watch the game at home with now risk.

I would be willing to purchase a virtual ticket to watch the game on line each week (i don't have cable) but have other methods for watching live.

22 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

I would love to attend and being fully vaccinated,  i could, but i have kids that can't be vaccinated and being in a large crowd is not something i'm willing to risk yet.. The chances catching and transmitting the virus is relatively low, coupled with low numbers here in MB, its low risk, but there is still a risk and we are just letting our kids see their cousins and hopefully friends soon.

I'm sure there are many other fans that are uneasy being in a crowd when they can watch the game at home with now risk.

I would be willing to purchase a virtual ticket to watch the game on line each week (i don't have cable) but have other methods for watching live.

I am totally in the same boat as you- and agree, totally sucks. But, you have to do what's best for your family- good on you.

I am checking weekly on updates for 6 to 11 year old vaccine studies. Looks like December is the month, but that can all change.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Did most CFL teams bring in 20+ receivers? Do teams who are happy with their receiving crew still have 16 or more receivers still on their roster? If most teams brought in around 20 and still have around 16 on their rosters, then the expanded TC capacity and 2 years of newbies is likely the answer. If not, then it's more likely that the Bombers specifically targeted the receiver spot, which would indicate a perceived need. (Like that better than 'unhappy with')

Teams with spots to fill at receiver like Calgary bring in more competition and still have 16 left. Teams who are pretty happy with their receiving crew like the Lions bring in less competition and still have 11 left.

You countered a fact based argument with a 'what if' argument like they are equal. :D They're not. Now you're taking one fact and suggesting that, by itself, it's dumb. That's debatable, but add in the number of receivers we brought in and the number still on the roster, and you can see how I came to my opinion. BTW: I'm not unhappy with our current receivers myself, but I can certainly see why the Bombers might want to bring in another play maker into the receiving corps.

Because of your avatar... I read all your posts in Dwight Kurt Schrute III's voice- it's funny AF. 

Thank you for that- this makes my week.

Maybe the team really is uhappy with the WR play and desperately wants an upgrade. Maybe they STILL have 16 wr in camp because it's been undeniably close between them all and they want to take more time before deciding who to cut. Maybe they are actually very happy going into the season with the guys they had last year but want to make sure they have the best depth possible.....here's the thing....no one on this board knows either way lol. You can all talk till your face turns pink and you STILL won't actually know. There's also never any point in arguing with Tburg, he's always right in his head. You're just wasting you're own time.

doubt they unhappy, and the WR core never hindered us last year, and were good enough to capture a cup...we were in the middle..to top 3rd im most of the important passing stats, and that was with a inexperienced QB after game 5 of the season until the last game of the yr...you bring in talent everywhere..every year and if you don't...you fail...

32 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Maybe the team really is uhappy with the WR play and desperately wants an upgrade. Maybe they STILL have 16 wr in camp because it's been undeniably close between them all and they want to take more time before deciding who to cut. Maybe they are actually very happy going into the season with the guys they had last year but want to make sure they have the best depth possible.....here's the thing....no one on this board knows either way lol. You can all talk till your face turns pink and you STILL won't actually know. There's also never any point in arguing with Tburg, he's always right in his head. You're just wasting you're own time.

The reports have been a bit sparse out of camp with out having posters able to attend and report but it seems like the competition at wr is as deep and closely fought as it has been in ages.

By my count I see atleast 10 guys that they want to keep around. And it's likely more like 12. 

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

doubt they unhappy, and the WR core never hindered us last year, and were good enough to capture a cup...we were in the middle..to top 3rd im most of the important passing stats, and that was with a inexperienced QB after game 5 of the season until the last game of the yr...you bring in talent everywhere..every year and if you don't...you fail...

just for clarification, it was Game 9 when Nichols went down at the end of a game vs BC. He got us to 7-2 on the season, and had really good passing numbers and far and away the best passer rating at that point on the season.  But I fully support the idea that our passing attack was just fine, if slightly under-utilized because we have a generational RB in the backfield who deserves to get the majority of touches....

9 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Another day another whine from the kid who tries too hard to be one of the cool kids. More posts about the poster than about the post. Sad.

We brought in a ton of DB's cuz we have a couple of spots open. We brought in a ton of receivers, cuz we're happy with the incumbents. Sounds logical.

Thank you for calling me kid. I haven't been called that since I was last checked for ID trying to get into a bar in 1977.

giphy.gif

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

So it looks like a real possibility that Harris isnt going to be ready for the opener. Im pretty excited to see what Oliveira can do. Id love to see him come out and just run wild. May we be seeing a passing of the torch on August 5??

Yeah I think at this point we will see Harris out for game one. And when he returns to see a reduced work load till late in the season when we will need him most. Heavy dose of multi back and Harris even at sb.

If Harris is out I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 ni and 1 di rb.

Regarding receivers, let's do the math. 

I would assume the starters for Week1 will be: 
Lawler, Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky and Stewart.

For backups:
Nelson as DI 
and 1 of Tyrell/O'leary-Orange for Canadian.
I could see Borsa here too as Demski-type guy. 

I'm assuming Adams and Meredith will be on IR in Week1. 

So between the taxi-squad and PR you put maybe 3 or 4 guys: 
Just guessing maybe Agudosi, McKnight for Americans 
and the other of Tyrell/O'leary-Orange for Canadian. 

So that leaves you only 2 or 3 receivers to cut:
Crockett, Grayson and Alexander. 

Yeah, we brought too many receivers. :D

Edited by M.O.A.B.

15 hours ago, Booch said:

This is particularly true at the skill positions. If you are not turning over every stone for the next Milt Stegall you are not going to find him. Bringing in a ton of skill every year doesn't mean you are unhappy with your roster but every team is ALWAYS looking for the next CFL superstar at every position. You would be monumentally stupid to not bring in as many top notch recruits as you can. For many years our greatest needs were receiver talent so it stands to reason we have an extensive list provided to us by the scouts. The fact that so many are available to us right now, and the fact that our DL, LBer, and OL is locked in with allstars, is why we have brought in so many. TB is overthinking it. When the top guys on your neg list, or scouting sessions agree to come North you bring them in. It should come as no surprise that this year it is receivers and DBs with 2 years of college graduates and the XFL folding.

Edited by GCn20

51 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Regarding receivers, let's do the math. 

I would assume the starters for Week1 will be: 
Lawler, Bailey, Demski, Wolitarsky and Stewart.

For backups:
Nelson as DI 
and 1 of Tyrell/O'leary-Orange for Canadian.
I could see Borsa here too as Demski-type guy. 

I'm assuming Adams and Meredith will be on IR in Week1. 

So between the taxi-squad and PR you put maybe 3 or 4 guys: 
Just guessing maybe Agudosi, McKnight for Americans 
and the other of Tyrell/O'leary-Orange for Canadian. 

So that leaves you only 2 or 3 receivers to cut:
Crockett, Grayson and Alexander. 

Yeah, we brought too many receivers. :D

Alexander had a season ending injury so he would be cut of IR'd.

19 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I couldn't give a rats ass how many receivers or DBs other teams brought in and neither should you. It is completely irrelevant. Other teams have holes to fill in their LBer, DL, OL, RB, and NAT component that we quite frankly don't have. Calgary and BC are the examples you give? They CAN'T bring in 20+ receivers because they have too many holes to fill throughout their lineup that we don't have. The fact we took a targeted approach to the positions of receiver and DB is because these are the skill positions on a football field and quite frankly where the gamebreakers are mostly found. When you have a solid crew in the trenches and LBer crew it allows you the luxury of bringing in more at the skill positions so that you have a better chance of finding a superstar in the making. None of that means the Bombers are unhappy or worried about their incumbents.