2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

4 hours ago, BBlink said:

Wasn't Lawler signed in 2018? I know he didn't play but it does help to be in the system. I think it was the same with Charles Nelson. Nelson is another guy that looks to have what it takes if he could stay healthy... 

Yup, Lawler was signed Oct 22 2018 after spending time with the Lions. Nelson was signed Sept 17 and got into the last game of the season.

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You mean Nichols problems,  we had no issues once Zach was in at QB with moving the ball down the field to the receivers.     

I'm by no means a plop supporter. I think we will be better off with buck. But people are soo quick to forget the plop run offense in 2002 where blink and sellers combined for some thing like 3000 yards while milt had the greatest year a wr has ever had and Bruce had a great year. The buck plop era was ravaged by injuries but we saw tons of success with wrs. And lived and died by the deep ball. 

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

why go for 8 yards when you can get 6?

Yeah offense is over rated. All about that punting. Though it is far more effective when you have medlock hitting 6 field goals a game and some of the best directional punting in football. 

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

You mean Nichols problems,  we had no issues once Zach was in at QB with moving the ball down the field to the receivers.     

You forget that when henfirst got here Nichols was moving the ball down field tremendously. Not like check down all the time willy... who also started well before become captain checkdown. Pattern played out the same with every qb. Lapo causes it. Time to stop pretending otherwise.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

You forget that when henfirst got here Nichols was moving the ball down field tremendously. Not like check down all the time willy... who also started well before become captain checkdown. Pattern played out the same with every qb. Lapo causes it. Time to stop pretending otherwise.

No he wasn't. Thats why edm pretty much gave him away. 

I will never understand the Nichols haters....just complete lunatics. Talk about his inability to stay healthy all you want, but when he was healthy, he was outstanding. He was our MOP last year till he went down. Was chucking the ball all over the field...making all the throws. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

No he wasn't. Thats why edm pretty much gave him away. 

Edmonton gave him away because they signed Reilly and had a shiny new toy in Franklin. When Nichols first came here the passing numbers went way up before lapo did what lapo does and turns qbs into check down players.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

I for one will not miss Lapo...not one bit..I don't think the players will either...You can already sense it in the receivers

There will be changes to the offence which will be negatives. Lapo is one of the best at using motion to create angles in the run game that give a huge advantage. He was constantly evolving this which really allowed Harris and Streveler to be very successful. The argument can be made that the passing game will improve with Buck and overall it will be a net benefit but thats not a guarantee. 

10 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

There will be changes to the offence which will be negatives. Lapo is one of the best at using motion to create angles in the run game that give a huge advantage. He was constantly evolving this which really allowed Harris and Streveler to be very successful. The argument can be made that the passing game will improve with Buck and overall it will be a net benefit but thats not a guarantee. 

THING is..Pierce was key in installing a lot of what they did..people think it was all Lapo...but it was not

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Edmonton gave him away because they signed Reilly and had a shiny new toy in Franklin. When Nichols first came here the passing numbers went way up before lapo did what lapo does and turns qbs into check down players.

He had the reputation in Edmonton as a guy who couldn't win you games but a guy you could carry to a win. Go back and look at their response to finding out he was dealt. 

His 15 to 16 numbers are nearly the same per rep. 

23 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also something that seems to be missing is that Collaros wasn't exactly lighting it up. It's not like he was going out there and putting up 350 yrds passing and 5 tds lol. His stat line throughout the playoffs look pretty similar to Nichols.

Collaros didn't come in and go all Dunnigan out there. But he did create on his own and made plays to win games and a championship. And has been the guy to put up dominant stats in the past. 

24 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

It's possible though I don't think likely that we will see negatives to buck that plop didn't bring. But we will also see dramatically better situational play calls. You should look back at all the field goals we kicked inside the 15. And how many of those series didn't have a running play in the red zone. Plop constantly out thought him self. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Collaros didn't come in and go all Dunnigan out there. But he did create on his own and made plays to win games and a championship. And has been the guy to put up dominant stats in the past. 

It's possible though I don't think likely that we will see negatives to buck that plop didn't bring. But we will also see dramatically better situational play calls. You should look back at all the field goals we kicked inside the 15. And how many of those series didn't have a running play in the red zone. Plop constantly out thought him self. 

I agree Collaros has the ability to make things happen that Nichols doesn't But the facts are the same. His numbers were similar to Nichols.

I agree with you no Plop out thinking himself. I was watching a home game against BC from 2016 (I think)...the one where Moe Legget made that game saving tackle on the goal line. The bombers O was dominate in the first half. Doing basically whatever they wanted...mostly on the back on Harris. 3rd Q rolls around, and Harris didn't get a touch until there was 1:30 left in the 3rd Q....enough time to help BC get momentum back. Why go away from what's working?

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree Collaros has the ability to make things happen that Nichols doesn't But the facts are the same. His numbers were similar to Nichols.

I agree with you no Plop out thinking himself. I was watching a home game against BC from 2016 (I think)...the one where Moe Legget made that game saving tackle on the goal line. The bombers O was dominate in the first half. Doing basically whatever they wanted...mostly on the back on Harris. 3rd Q rolls around, and Harris didn't get a touch until there was 1:30 left in the 3rd Q....enough time to help BC get momentum back. Why go away from what's working?

It often seemed like 'Let's stop doing this before they actually stop us.' 

Some games, I would compare to deliberately sacrificing your Queen in a game of chess - because the other guy might capture her in the next few moves. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's true collaros wasn't Mike Reilly of old in our run. If Harris didn't get MOP in the gc a couple defenders would've been next on the list. 

We don't know for sure what to expect from collaros. But his basement imop is Nichols out side of his best year here. And his up side is MOP calibre. It's been a long time since we've seen it but collaros has been the guy who can drop 400 and 5 tds on any one. 

What bugs me most about plop isn't that he gets away from what works It's that he never used the successful plays to set up his progression. That's what great play calling is. It's like the only situation he's never prepared for is his game plan working. 

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Was speaking specifically about the teams passing ability pre and post Nichols trade.

You mean when Hardrick and bond came in and got put into their successful position. We didn't become a proficient down field passing team or consistent first down grinder. It was more of the same. Just more of it. But with some of the best blocking in the league. 

46 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Nichols was a good QB for us and frankly if we don't turn to him after the 1-4 start in 2016, we likely don't win the 2019 Cup and the current regime is long gone. That said, hopefully Collaros stays healthy and gives us a little more at the QB position.

We can't know what would've happened that far back. If we signed ac instead of Reggie slack he may never have become a hof qb. Or we may have won a bunch of gcs under reinbold. I don't think we'd a won any of the play off games with Nichols though. 

No tc news so far today is killing me.