2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

52 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed American running back Devonte Williams. The 24-year-old Southeastern Louisiana product rushed for 892 yards and 12 touchdowns through the 2018 and 2019 seasons with the Lions. He added 720 receiving yards and three touchdowns and dabbled in punt and kick returns as well.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/07/13/bombers-bring-rb-devonte-williams/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A running back??? What could this mean???

tenor.gif

tumblr_mr81q0FuH71sseqooo1_400.gif

Edited by IC Khari

27 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed American running back Devonte Williams. The 24-year-old Southeastern Louisiana product rushed for 892 yards and 12 touchdowns through the 2018 and 2019 seasons with the Lions. He added 720 receiving yards and three touchdowns and dabbled in punt and kick returns as well.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/07/13/bombers-bring-rb-devonte-williams/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like a real find- fast, quick, good balance and hands. I especially like his lack of showboating after a TD.  Hope there are no "personal conduct issues".

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Looks like a real find- fast, quick, good balance and hands. I especially like his lack of showboating after a TD.  Hope there are no "personal conduct issues".

Yeah, The Trinity has a real history of bringing in guys like that................

37 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Yeah, he’s got some real zip.  Not sure where he would fit in though.  We seem to have a lot of returner types and don’t really need an import RB.  We’ll see, I guess.  I think he’ll enjoy the big field.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yep...he's hurt.......

Oh boy. Idk what's worse the idea that he's hurt or the amount of tin foil hat and insider info that is going to inundate bomber fans for the next two weeks. 

Mos is secretive at best when it comes to injuries. I hope that what he says is true but man I would not bet on it being the case. 

Honestly, I'm wondering if it's one of those things where the legs just weren't there for him, and he's wondering if he can or wants to still do it? I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just curious. You knew there were going to be people who came back and went "Nope...." and I'm curious if he's one. Hopefully not! 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Honestly, I'm wondering if it's one of those things where the legs just weren't there for him, and he's wondering if he can or wants to still do it? I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just curious. You knew there were going to be people who came back and went "Nope...." and I'm curious if he's one. Hopefully not! 

That's a valid question. You never know he's accomplished about every thing he could want. Now we wait and hope for the best. 

45 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Yeah, he’s got some real zip.  Not sure where he would fit in though.  We seem to have a lot of returner types and don’t really need an import RB.  We’ll see, I guess.  I think he’ll enjoy the big field.

No joke. It's not like he's a guy who is one dimensional. His return and pass catching skill plus athleticism makes him a great fit up here. He could be a return man wr or rb or a di xfactor type of guy you weave in with a package of plays. 

Getting crowded in the backfield....Could there be someone heading out the door ....orrrr another retirement announcement....Speculation galore .......This Williams kid is a very interesting move....We don't bring that kind of talent in just for a cup of coffee......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

14 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Getting crowded in the backfield....Could there be someone heading out the door ....orrrr another retirement announcement....Speculation galore .......This Williams kid is a very interesting move....We don't bring that kind of talent in just for a cup of coffee......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Best case scenario they want to reduce Harris touches this year and want to find the best platoon partner for him possible. And maybe they don't expect augustine to be ready for a while. 

They may also want more competition at returner if they decide to work Grant into the offense more. 

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

@BobIrvingCJOB - Andrew Harris will be held out of Blue Bomber practice for the next two weeks. Head coach Mike OShea would only say The 34-year old Harris doesn’t need to practice, and the young backs, like Brady Oliveira, need the work.

Anyone believe what MOS says about injuries?

Nope...

Good clip from Darrin Bauming about the impact of single game gambling on injury reporting in the CFL. Basically that it has to change to be more in line with what the NFL does if you're going to expect people to bet (lose?) money on CFL games. Hope so. Really tired of O'Shea's old school "he should be okay", "he'll be fine", "he had an appointment (!?)". Ridiculous to think somehow other teams' primary game plan is " hey, let's go after one specific player's ankle, knee, shoulder ..." 

Edited by M.Silverback

I have mixed feelings about this, but if increased revenue will allow teams to field better players and become more financially viable so that we don't stagger from one crisis of ownership to another, I think I can live with it. It might even bring a higher profile to the league and get more butts in seats. Everything costs something.

One of the reasons O'Shea has so much respect with the players, is he doesn't put their personal business out there in the public. I get that these things need to change, but it's something that the players are going to have to agree to, more so than the coaches. I'd be curious about what the PA has to say about all of it...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

One of the reasons O'Shea has so much respect with the players, is he doesn't put their personal business out there in the public. I get that these things need to change, but it's something that the players are going to have to agree to, more so than the coaches. I'd be curious about what the PA has to say about all of it...

It's a pretty decisive method. But I do get why he does it. Some times I think he takes it too far. Like when we had an ol day to way from the start or camp till the end of the season. 

Really the blue media need to be held to a higher standard in terms of camp reports and not just towing the line. But I get why Bob and Tait don't. Just like the cfl needs Young fans we need better Young media people. 

I think with game to game betting we will end up seeing changes to ir and injury announcements. 

22 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The paucity of reports coming out of training camp is disappointing and annoying. Even the Free Press articles are really thin on details.

Same as usual. The yt channel with updates is decent atleast.  Blue media is long in the tooth. And that lack of coverage hurts the leagues ability to reach a younger market. 

On CJOB today in O'sheas interview he subtly mentioned that Harris is a great coach. I thought it seemed like an odd thing to throw into the conversation. 

Let the rumour mongering begin.

Edit: I've figured it out!

We're Tampa Bay-ing this b****. Harris on IR all year, doesn't count against the cap, magically becomes healthy at the end of the season.

Edited by Dr Zaius

Hey guys - just wanted to let you know that yesterday was a pretty f-ed up day for me as I was extremely close to a huge accident in Kelowna that claimed 5 peoples' lives.  Having been that close to the danger and near death it put a lot of things in perspective.  Thanks for all your posts, I really need to focus on this right now as it was beyond a traumatic experience.  I am so happy the Bombers are back, and I can focus on something positive right now.  That is all.

I'm not worried about AH in the least. At least not yet. He probably is a tiny bit nicked up and the Bombers are shelving him out of an abundance of caution. He really has nothing to prove in TC why risk injury. Is MOS being dishonest saying it's all about assessing who will be behind him? Not really....that's going to be one of the toughest calls in TC imo. We realistically can't keep all 3 of Borsa, Augustine, and Oliveira and each guy is really talented and will be a big part of our succession plan for Harris. The Bombers could really lose the next Andrew Harris if they choose incorrectly and there is no game action to see them under fire before the decision has to be made. Assessing their reps is going to be vital. 

Now don't get me wrong, it's doubtful we are sitting Harris solely for that reason but I am sure it was a factor as to the approach they are choosing to take with AH right now.

Edited by GCn20