2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

Just now, TBURGESS said:

If you bothered to read what I've been typing, you'd already know the answer, but cuz you likely won't go back. Vet backup QB, not necessarily Jennings, on the IR so their salary doesn't count against the SMS. Activate them if/when Collaros goes down. If VBQB beats McGuire in TC, then flip the roles and McGuire goes on the IR. I'm not in favour of giving anyone a job just 'so they can develop'.

Toronto and Hamilton will keep both of their QB's. Ottawa will keep Nichols and Davis. Montreal will keep Adams and Schultz. BC will keep Reilly and Arndt. Stamps will keep BLM and Prukop. Riders will keep Fajardo and Harker.  All of those backups have more CFL experience than McGuire. Edmonton is in the same boat as we are.

If davis was cut tomorrow, his career would be over. I wouldnt trade mcguire for any of those back ups. Experience is not a deciding factor, when you are talking about 1-2 games worth of reps for most of those guys. 5 guys whose career totals are 19 tds, and 35 picks and out side of DD like 2-3 starts. .5 to .75 of a start average between the 4 does not make 1 experienced back up qb. 

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

If you bothered to read what I've been typing,

Yeah, we all read your posts. Wea ll know what you said. The problem is you think you're always right & that all of us have stupid takes. I'll take a promising rookie or young player over a washed up has been veteran anytime.

giphy.gif

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2021-06-30 at 11:11 AM, wbbfan said:

They have the tools the raw tools to excel at the position. Oliveira has a pretty good pedigree vs good competition as well. He and borsa have sought after rare combinations of experience and athleticism in a NI rb. If you cant understand why they have hype Idk if any explanation will do much for you. 

Augustine is a fairly weak pass blocker, un tested as a pass catcher, he doesnt have any experience filling a STs role, and he is with out any real strength. Hes about as slow as any rb who has carried the ball in the cfl in the past couple years. The guy has 45 carries as a pro, Idk how any one can see that as a huge edge over borsa and oliveira. 2 tcs here is his biggest advantage. But he is not by any means a known commodity. A big portion of his carries and production came late in a game after it was in hand and he busted a big run. 

Hes a scrappy, hard working over achiever and is a guy that can be coached up to be more versatile and useful in a back up role. But he is the definition of a replacement level NI rb. Every team in camp has a guy who is like him and we could pick up a guy with the same talent and skill at just about any point in time. 

Not sure what u are watching..Augustine was and always has been on kick off team..I believe kick return as well...he had lots of experience on teams..that's how he managed to get on and stay on roster as well..we lucky to have him..and he can catch our of backfield too...comparing him or any back to Harris in that regard is stupid

14 hours ago, Nolby said:

I'm driving out to Edmonton on Saturday, unfortunately,a large deserted piece of land is in between Winnipeg and my destination. I should rock the Jersey,maybe a sign thanking the cross bar too?

Jersey yes....cross bar no....all the crossbar did was save Fajardo from throwing a season ending interception.

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If davis was cut tomorrow, his career would be over. I wouldnt trade mcguire for any of those back ups. Experience is not a deciding factor, when you are talking about 1-2 games worth of reps for most of those guys. 5 guys whose career totals are 19 tds, and 35 picks and out side of DD like 2-3 starts. .5 to .75 of a start average between the 4 does not make 1 experienced back up qb. 

Bomber fans and Rider fans think their teams will be OK if their starting QB goes down based on nothing more than faith and the 'power' of positive thinking. Then they make fun of the other teams fans for thinking that their teams will be fine if their starting QB goes down.

The truth of the matter is that most backup QB's fail. Some like Franklin and Jennings fail even after showing great promise. McGuire and other backups around the league haven't even got to the great promise stage. If you don't see that as a huge potential problem, then I can't change your mind.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, we all read your posts. Wea ll know what you said. The problem is you think you're always right & that all of us have stupid takes. I'll take a promising rookie or young player over a washed up has been veteran anytime.

giphy.gif

If you read my posts, then why did you ask your question?

You always think you're right too. In fact, most if not everyone around here thinks they are right. If my opinions make you feel stupid, that's on you.

All rookies are promising until they aren't. All unsigned vets are washed up until they are signed. You value the unknown over the known with issues and I value the vet over the rookie. Let's agree to disagree.

The 'power' of positive thinking plus $5 gets you a coffee at Starbucks. Positive thinking shouldn't become a reason to hate folks who use critical thinking. It seems like reading my posts is making you angry. Maybe you should stop reading them.

A person has, in one hand: a paper bag with something in it that doesn't smell, isn't damp nor is it squishy.

In the other, a steaming pile of ****...

"Yeah, let's go with the big pile o'****- at least I know what it is and what it is capable of."

- said no one ever.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

are they really? Why the **** do people think MBT is any good? The guy is a lunatic who threw for a pile of TDs when his team was down by 30 and needed to constantly take deep shots...... **** that guy. I wouldn't want him any more than Jennings or the rest of the castoffs...

MBT isn't the second coming of Warren Moon, but he's a legitimate CFL QB. He's average at best, but might be better than Arbuckle, and he may be better than some CFL starters (Nichols). Back to the point - we have a completely unproven back up QB. Period. Hope he's good, but putting on my amateur CFL GM hat, I'd always want a back up QB on the roster with some CFL experience. Especially if my starting QB has a history of injuries. Maybe I'd stash the experienced QB on injured reserve, or practice rosters, still give McGuire the QB2 spot. But, I'd want someone who knows the playbook and has practiced with the team, rather than trying to parachute some QB in week 6 who's been working out at a Goodlife.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Bomber fans and Rider fans think their teams will be OK if their starting QB goes down based on nothing more than faith and the 'power' of positive thinking. Then they make fun of the other teams fans for thinking that their teams will be fine if their starting QB goes down.

The truth of the matter is that most backup QB's fail. Some like Franklin and Jennings fail even after showing great promise. McGuire and other backups around the league haven't even got to the great promise stage. If you don't see that as a huge potential problem, then I can't change your mind.

If you read my posts, then why did you ask your question?

You always think you're right too. In fact, most if not everyone around here thinks they are right. If my opinions make you feel stupid, that's on you.

All rookies are promising until they aren't. All unsigned vets are washed up until they are signed. You value the unknown over the known with issues and I value the vet over the rookie. Let's agree to disagree.

The 'power' of positive thinking plus $5 gets you a coffee at Starbucks. Positive thinking shouldn't become a reason to hate folks who use critical thinking. It seems like reading my posts is making you angry. Maybe you should stop reading them.

Look man, you're a one trick pony. Always bitching about not being able to develop a qb. "IT'S BEEN 50 YEARS!!!" Hey, we've won 11 Grey Cups. The Riders 4. The Lions 5. The Stamps 8. Even with two large droughts of decades between wins we're still #3 for all time GC wins.

You always find something to complaina about. If we won 11 games, you'd say we didn't deserve to win 11 games. You'd say that we only deserved to win 7 because of some excuse like the opposition missed a game winning FG in one game , or the other team fumbled on the 2 yard line going in with no time left in another & we recovered. So, we didn't deserve to win 11 games. Same crap. All the time. Never changes. 

Just like 2019, you've moaned that we weren't the best team in the CFL becuae we finished third in the West therefore we didn't deserve to be GC champions. Even though we beat calgary at home in the Semi Final & the Riders at Mosaic in the Western Final. Who cares if we finished third? We were invincible for a month & got hot. We won the games we had to win all November. In the Gc, we physically dominated Hamilton. It wasn't even close. We beat the living tar out of the Ti Cats. So badly that they quit before the game was over. Before he got hurt, Brandon Banks was complaining. He didn't want the ball. He had given up. The Cats were a beaten bunch that day. No one in the CFL would have defeated us. So, who cares where we finished the regular season. Third place should never diminish what the Bombers accomplished last Grey cup. 

Don't read or understand your posts, you say? No, unfortunately. We know what you say all too well. But hey, you can say what you want as that's what it's all about here. Just don't expect applause. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Look man, you're a one trick pony. Always bitching about not being able to develop a qb. "IT'S BEEN 50 YEARS!!!" Hey, we've won 11 Grey Cups. The Riders 4. The Lions 5. The Stamps 8. Even with two large droughts of decades between wins we're still #3 for all time GC wins.

You always find something to complaina about. If we won 11 games, you'd say we didn't deserve to win 11 games. You'd say that we only deserved to win 7 because of some excuse like the opposition missed a game winning FG in one game , or the other team fumbled on the 2 yard line going in with no time left in another & we recovered. So, we didn't deserve to win 11 games. Same crap. All the time. Never changes. 

Just like 2019, you've moaned that we weren't the best team in the CFL becuae we finished third in the West therefore we didn't deserve to be GC champions. Even though we beat calgary at home in the Semi Final & the Riders at Mosaic in the Western Final. Who cares if we finished third? We were invincible for a month & got hot. We won the games we had to win all November. In the Gc, we physically dominated Hamilton. It wasn't even close. We beat the living tar out of the Ti Cats. So badly that they quit before the game was over. Before he got hurt, Brandon Banks was complaining. He didn't want the ball. He had given up. The Cats were a beaten bunch that day. No one in the CFL would have defeated us. So, who cares where we finished the regular season. Third place should never diminish what the Bombers accomplished last Grey cup. 

Don't read or understand your posts, you say? No, unfortunately. We know what you say all too well. But hey, you can say what you want as that's what it's all about here. Just don't expect applause. 

Always moving the goal posts, trying desperately to find the dark corner to say, I told you so. It won't ever end. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

MBT isn't the second coming of Warren Moon, but he's a legitimate CFL QB. He's average at best, but might be better than Arbuckle, and he may be better than some CFL starters (Nichols). Back to the point - we have a completely unproven back up QB. Period. Hope he's good, but putting on my amateur CFL GM hat, I'd always want a back up QB on the roster with some CFL experience. Especially if my starting QB has a history of injuries. Maybe I'd stash the experienced QB on injured reserve, or practice rosters, still give McGuire the QB2 spot. But, I'd want someone who knows the playbook and has practiced with the team, rather than trying to parachute some QB in week 6 who's been working out at a Goodlife.

With really only 2 roster spots it's become hard to groom a young qb. Teams either go all in on making a promising player the backup like Winnipeg has or they carry two veterans like Hamilton & Toronto have. It's a judgement call that teams have to make. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

MBT isn't better than Arbuckle or Nichols. Period. 

Nichols - I'm not going to debate you. Admittedly I've never been a Nichols fan. But, his CFL record speaks for itself. Still unknown what he'll be like post surgery and lengthy layoff, but I'll concede. But the gap between them right now, is slim.

Arbuckle - He's been given the starting job in Toronto, but his stats in the last CFL season were worse than MBT, playing for a much better team. Take a look on cfl.ca. Don't be shocked if the Argos stumble a bit, or if Arbuckle misses time, good old MBT comes in and takes the starting job. He's not a scrub. He bounced around the NFL a long time because he has some talent. NFL teams don't keep giving you a shot to be nice guys. 

Edited by M.Silverback

here are he of the odd names stats

"Balthazar is traditionally referred to as the King of Macedonia and gave the gift of myrrh to Jesus. In the Roman Catholic Church, he is regarded as a saint "

https://www.statscrew.com/football/stats/p-bethemcl001

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

He bounced around the NFL a long time because he has some talent.

he didnt play a down in the NFL

Edited by Mark F

On 2021-07-05 at 8:30 AM, bearpants said:

I also thought it was strange they didn't mentioned how a guy from Illinois who played most of his college and pro career there... ended up with a girl from Winnipeg... 

welcome to the internet and social media...lol...

On 2021-07-05 at 6:51 PM, M.O.A.B. said:

Bombers roster page is now updated with jersey #s. FWIW, there are some with identical #s:
17 - WR Blake Jackson, DB Mazzi Wilkins
20 - RB Brady Oliveira, DB Jamalcolm Liggins
22 - RB Kyle Borsa, DB Ranthony Texada
25 - RB Joshua Caldwell, DB Prince Robinson
57 - OL Tyler Johnson, LB Tanner Cadwallader
84 - WR Malcolm Lewis, WR ArDarius Stewart
91 - DL Connor Griffith, DL Andree Saint-Amour
no number yet - WR Mekale McKay, LB Moe Mason

Is the ghost of Manase Foketi showing up again to TC this year?

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Again, you're proving you don't have any idea of what you're talking about. I'm not bitching about being able to develop a QB. It's just a fact that should be taken into account when looking at developing our current backup QB. Streveler, one of our best development QB's wasn't ready to win the GC 'last year'. We needed to bring in the vet Collaros to get us there. The chances that McGuire will be able to get us to the cup are slim to none and cup contender is what we all want to be.

You're the one who loves to complain. It used to be about what the Bombers were doing, now it's about me not agreeing with you and the other positrons (first time this year... I'm in preseason form). I bring up facts. You whine that I'm complaining. I explain again. You ignore it and whine that I'm complaining, this time with some caps. I agree to disagree. You make up something I didn't say and whine about that. Finally, you go completely off the subject and whine about things I've said or things you think I really meant in the past. I sigh, roll my eyes and try to push the keyboard away. Failing, I answer your tired tirade.

Facts: In 2019 we were 4th in the CFL, 3rd in the west. We traded for a vet QB at the last minute. He took us to the GC and won it. Years ago Calgary did the same thing. Based on these facts, we were a mid tier team that got hot in playoffs and won the cup, much like Calgary did all those years ago. No, that doesn't mean we didn't deserve it or that I didn't enjoy it. That's just the story you've made up. Yes we had some luck. Same holds true for all GC winning teams who weren't dominant in the regular season and some who were.

Going forward.... We brought back a lot of the GC team. Should that mean we expect to be dominant this year? Some folks around here sure think so, but were weren't last year in the regular season. We're going with a rookie kicker instead of one of the best if not the best in the league and a rookie OC instead of one of the best in the league. We've got an oft injured starting QB who managed 4 starts last year backed up by a 'rookie'. We're replacing a couple of top end DB's. Everyone's a couple of years older and we don't know how that time will affect them. I sure hope we don't get a string of injuries like the Riders got yesterday, but it could happen. Note that none of that is complaining or moaning, but from the Kumbaya, positive thinking, look for the best outcome crowd it must sound like it.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Again, you're proving you don't have any idea of what you're talking about. I'm not bitching about being able to develop a QB. It's just a fact that should be taken into account when looking at developing our current backup QB. Streveler, one of our best development QB's wasn't ready to win the GC 'last year'. We needed to bring in the vet Collaros to get us there. The chances that McGuire will be able to get us to the cup are slim to none and cup contender is what we all want to be.

You're the one who loves to complain. It used to be about what the Bombers were doing, now it's about me not agreeing with you and the other positrons (first time this year... I'm in preseason form). I bring up facts. You whine that I'm complaining. I explain again. You ignore it and whine that I'm complaining, this time with some caps. I agree to disagree. You make up something I didn't say and whine about that. Finally, you go completely off the subject and whine about things I've said or things you think I really meant in the past. I sigh, roll my eyes and try to push the keyboard away. Failing, I answer your tired tirade.

Facts: In 2019 we were 4th in the CFL, 3rd in the west. We traded for a vet QB at the last minute. He took us to the GC and won it. Years ago Calgary did the same thing. Based on these facts, we were a mid tier team that got hot in playoffs and won the cup, much like Calgary did all those years ago. No, that doesn't mean we didn't deserve it or that I didn't enjoy it. That's just the story you've made up. Yes we had some luck. Same holds true for all GC winning teams who weren't dominant in the regular season and some who were.

Going forward.... We brought back a lot of the GC team. Should that mean we expect to be dominant this year? Some folks around here sure think so, but were weren't last year in the regular season. We're going with a rookie kicker instead of one of the best if not the best in the league and a rookie OC instead of one of the best in the league. We've got an oft injured starting QB who managed 4 starts last year backed up by a 'rookie'. We're replacing a couple of top end DB's. Everyone's a couple of years older and we don't know how that time will affect them. I sure hope we don't get a string of injuries like the Riders got yesterday, but it could happen. Note that none of that is complaining or moaning, but from the Kumbaya, positive thinking, look for the best outcome crowd it must sound like it.

giphy.gif