2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

17 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I can accept TBurg’s premise that not having an experienced back-up could be a problem if Collaros goes down (an issue that every CFL team save for Hamilton and Toronto would face if a similar fate infolded) and that Collaros’ history of injuries makes that scenario a non-zero possibility. BUT every veteran has had to have been a rookie at some point. And TBurg has gone to great lengths to remind of how poor the Bombers have been at grooming QBs, so I am not sure which path of dissent he wants to go down here. McGuire has not shown anything, good or bad, to pass judgement yet on him. Jennings has, and aside from his one breakout year in BC, reviews have not been great. McGuire’s grooming has been as low risk as possible so far. He was a third stringer who spent a year learning the offence and running practice but not thrust into live action save for convert holds. Now he is the back-up in a league that now only allows two QB spots. Now sure what TBurg would expect in terms of his development otherwise. If you want a QB in camp who knows the systems, he is as good as anyone. And that in game experience has to be developed at some point, maybe this is the year he takes that next step. Of what little I saw in pre-season last year, I saw no reason to abandon our hopes on him as a player for us in the future at this time. 

I don't care if other teams have the same problem. I don't care if other teams ever win, backup QB or not. I'd want a vet backup or at least one with some playing time, on my team.

I bring up our lack of success at grooming QB's because it's a big reason to bring in a vet backup and it shows that the odds of McGuire being even serviceable are very low. There is more than one reason to bring in a vet backup QB. 

I haven't passed judgment on McGuire because I haven't seen enough, good or bad. No one has. Maybe he's a gamer. Maybe he's not. That's not a reason to give him the job and it's not a reason not to bring in a vet backup. It's not about McGuire in particular. I'd say the same thing about any QB with 6 plays on his resume. How can any of us possibly know that McGuire is as good as anyone? The answer is... we can't. We can just hope he's the answer if/when we need him. All I'm saying is don't put all our eggs in the one basket. Bring in serious competition in TC and no it doesn't have to be Jennings. Maybe Franklin could be talked out of retirement.

To others who make up things I don't say... It's cool. That's when I know you agree with me but can't bring yourselves to type it. :D

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't care if other teams have the same problem. I don't care if other teams ever win, backup QB or not. I'd want a vet backup or at least one with some playing time, on my team.

I bring up our lack of success at grooming QB's because it's a big reason to bring in a vet backup and it shows that the odds of McGuire being even serviceable are very low. There is more than one reason to bring in a vet backup QB. 

I haven't passed judgment on McGuire because I haven't seen enough, good or bad. No one has. Maybe he's a gamer. Maybe he's not. That's not a reason to give him the job and it's not a reason not to bring in a vet backup. It's not about McGuire in particular. I'd say the same thing about any QB with 6 plays on his resume. How can any of us possibly know that McGuire is as good as anyone? The answer is... we can't. We can just hope he's the answer if/when we need him. All I'm saying is don't put all our eggs in the one basket. Bring in serious competition in TC and no it doesn't have to be Jennings. Maybe Franklin could be talked out of retirement.

To others who make up things I don't say... It's cool. That's when I know you agree with me but can't bring yourselves to type it. :D

This (Bolded part) applies to how much we know about Roster management as well. As far as any of us know, they've tried to get Jennings/Franklin/Glenn/Allen/Dunigan to come back. They don't tell the fans about players they weren't able to sign. And again at the end of the day, it's up the the Vet player to WANT to come here to fight for a back up job which will likely end up being a PR spot. Good luck!

As for the grooming QBs. This regimes score isn't great, but they do have 1 qb who won a back up job in the NFL and is hopefully on his way back before October. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt with McGuire. 

Something else that is forgotten, Mcguire by most accounts out played Streveler in the 2019 preseason. Obviously there are a lot of factors in those games. But he has still shown that he can sit in the pocket and not look out of place.

Edited by Bigblue204

5 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

My guess - KR/PR Grant, DE/LB/S Antigha (swissknife), DT (Sayles maybe), extra Rec/KR (Nelson maybe)

Given there is no preseason I wonder if they don't use one of those di's to take a look at players over the coarse of the first few weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wife wanted to rewatch GC107 last night, so we fired that up. I am so f***ing ready for this season........not sure if Saturday is just physicals or if it's actually Day 1 of Camp, but either way, I expect a full report! :)

I'm on about watch # 4 and I thought I'd watch again close to the season opener

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I'm on about watch # 4 and I thought I'd watch again close to the season opener

I have MOST of the 2019 wins (losses get deleted ASAP) on my PVR and have rewatched probably a dozen times each in the last many many many months. I love those games, but am SO excited for something new. I like hockey, love curling, but am INSANE about CFL football....it's gonna be great. 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Wife wanted to rewatch GC107 last night, so we fired that up. I am so f***ing ready for this season........not sure if Saturday is just physicals or if it's actually Day 1 of Camp, but either way, I expect a full report! :)

I am sure that Ed has his pencils sharpened already.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Sure, Jan. ;)

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Apparently first few days of camp are going to be pretty light stuff just to see where everyone is physically by the end of week one should see a more normal camp. Not sure who I heard that from I want to say Bob Irving but not sure.

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

We can only dress 2 qbs. Yes, you can dress 3 but it has implications for the rest of the roster (from what I understand). So, what would you have the Bombers do? Dress a washed up veteran like Jennings as insurance or give McGuire a chance to grow & develop? The situation in Toronto with Arbuckle & Bethel-Thompson as well as Hamilton's with Masolli & Evans will be temporary. Two of those guys won't be happy not playing & won't be back with their individual team next year.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The situation in Toronto with Arbuckle & Bethel-Thompson as well as Hamilton's with Masolli & Evans will be temporary. Two of those guys won't be happy not playing & won't be back with their individual team next year.

You're right about next season. For this year, Hamilton and Toronto are in a much better spot than the Bombers if whoever their QB1's are go down. A bit scary in a shortened season for the Bombers. Can only hope McGuire is a phenom. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

You're right about next season. For this year, Hamilton and Toronto are in a much better spot than the Bombers if whoever their QB1's are go down. A bit scary in a shortened season for the Bombers. Can only hope McGuire is a phenom. 

are they really? Why the **** do people think MBT is any good? The guy is a lunatic who threw for a pile of TDs when his team was down by 30 and needed to constantly take deep shots...... **** that guy. I wouldn't want him any more than Jennings or the rest of the castoffs...

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

are they really? Why the **** do people think MBT is any good? The guy is a lunatic who threw for a pile of TDs when his team was down by 30 and needed to constantly take deep shots...... **** that guy. I wouldn't want him any more than Jennings or the rest of the castoffs...

We've had lot of qbs who couldn't do Jack squat down any amount. He also strangled a win out of us. He's far superior to Fajardo as a drop back passer. If you watch him for a guy who has an insane lack of reps for his age he can sling it. Our qbs last year wouldn't have don't more with the Toronto offense. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Agree. But I am pretty high on Mcguire. I really wish we had pre season games. 

36 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I am, too......so there's that. 

I wish I could bet on a qb shoot out between you and fajardo :P

I would take MBT over Vaj, and between he and Fajardo would depend on interviews. I think very highly of MBTs ability to sling it, and Fajardos ability to create. Idk if MBT has the ability to run an offense like we had last year, or any strict system. And thatd be the big difference for him. If he can run a system and not just run and shoot play ground style I think hes a guy you can win with. We dont see it as often up here, but down south you see guys semi frequently who are like that. Its the football equivalent of a  AAAA player. MBT might be that, but thats his basement. He might not be a guy who can improve and learn, or he might be a guy who under a really good OC and team can turn into a star. 

Producing on a bad team has a lot of negative connotations. "Garbage time" etc. But If youre a QB on a dog of a team where guys coast and play for them self, where you dont have an OL or a run game, or a strong coach and system. and you manage to put up good numbers you can play. Imagine what nichols wouldve done in his career here if he had to argos OL, or running game. Or khari or any other qb. 

The argos in 19 won 4 games, the 2000 bombers won 7. One qb had 4142 yards, on 51% 31tds vs 23 picks in 13 starts. The other qb had 4024 yards on 67.9% 26tds vs 13ints also in 13 starts. The "other" qb, also didnt have an army of future HoFers on his roster.  That 2000 team also lost in OT to the stamps, and put up 49 but lost by 2 to edm under bells starts. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Apparently first few days of camp are going to be pretty light stuff just to see where everyone is physically by the end of week one should see a more normal camp. Not sure who I heard that from I want to say Bob Irving but not sure.

Make sense to minimize injuries. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We can only dress 2 qbs. Yes, you can dress 3 but it has implications for the rest of the roster (from what I understand). So, what would you have the Bombers do? Dress a washed up veteran like Jennings as insurance or give McGuire a chance to grow & develop? The situation in Toronto with Arbuckle & Bethel-Thompson as well as Hamilton's with Masolli & Evans will be temporary. Two of those guys won't be happy not playing & won't be back with their individual team next year.

If you bothered to read what I've been typing, you'd already know the answer, but cuz you likely won't go back. Vet backup QB, not necessarily Jennings, on the IR so their salary doesn't count against the SMS. Activate them if/when Collaros goes down. If VBQB beats McGuire in TC, then flip the roles and McGuire goes on the IR. I'm not in favour of giving anyone a job just 'so they can develop'.

Toronto and Hamilton will keep both of their QB's. Ottawa will keep Nichols and Davis. Montreal will keep Adams and Schultz. BC will keep Reilly and Arndt. Stamps will keep BLM and Prukop. Riders will keep Fajardo and Harker.  All of those backups have more CFL experience than McGuire. Edmonton is in the same boat as we are.