2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

In the past three years Jennings has 27 td passes and 33 ints. Does an unproven McGuire scare me? Yes. Does bringing in a declining retread scare me? Yes.

This. Especially if signing the latter costs more money than it should.

It should also be telling no team has signed Jennings, IMO. He hasn't a good season in nearly five years.

In the last 3 years McGuire has 0 CFL TD's and has thrown for 17 total yards. Jennings played on Ottawa who only won 3 games in 2019. Some of that is on him, some of it is beyond his control. Jennings doesn't have a huge upside, but he has experience. A rookie QB, which is what McGuire essentially is, won't win us the cup. A vet backup would at least give us a chance.

The Bombers have no problems with having vets on the PR. Neufeld has spent a ton of time on the PR over the years while paying him big bucks. It's OK, cuz the money doesn't count towards the SMS. The same thing is true for a vet backup QB.

Not bringing Jennings or any vet QB for that matter doesn't mean that McGuire has already beaten them out in the coaches minds. It means the Bombers have made their plan and will stick to it. McGuire's being given the job. Neither of the rookie QB's are around to compete with him. They're extra arms for TC. One might stick around on the PR. They've also given the kicking job to our rookie kicker without any competition. That doesn't mean that Leggo has beaten the vet kickers out there in the coaches minds. It means that Leggo is the first choice and we'll bring in another kicker only if he can't do the job. It's less of a risk because kickers don't need to understand the whole offence to do their job.

If/when Collaros goes down, we'll hear about how he won't be down long and how we'll be fine with McGuire. In the background we will start looking for a vet backup and take whoever is available at the time. Maybe that's Jennings, but whoever it is, they won't have the advantage of training camp or knowing the offence. That means they won't be as effective for a game or three. Those games plus the McGuire games could be the difference between a good season and a bust. An insurance QB on the IR would reduce the risk.

10 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If/when Collaros goes down, we'll hear about how he won't be down long and how we'll be fine with McGuire. In the background we will start looking for a vet backup and take whoever is available at the time. Maybe that's Jennings, but whoever it is, they won't have the advantage of training camp or knowing the offence. That means they won't be as effective for a game or three. Those games plus the McGuire games could be the difference between a good season and a bust. An insurance QB on the IR would reduce the risk.

If/when Nichols goes down, we'll hear about how he won't be down long and how we'll be fine with Strevler. In the background we will start looking for a vet backup and take whoever is available at the time. Maybe that's Collaros, but whoever it is, they won't have the advantage of training camp or knowing the offence- yet bring us home a cup.

Maybe bringing in Jennings in October will work out... it did for us last time.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

A rookie QB, which is what McGuire essentially is, won't win us the cup. A vet backup would at least give us a chance.

I would argue our qbs don't win us games anyway. They just manage the game (a weakness of Jennings to be sure) and let the rest of the pieces do the work. 

McGuire might suck, or he might be ok, we already know Jennings sucks.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

If we signed Jennings, the argument from TB would be “why are we bringing him in, Ottawa only won 3 games with him, etc etc”

god I missed you 

Or... He would say that he was right all along that they don't trust McGuire and this team can't recruit or identify new QBs. 

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

In the past three years Jennings has 27 td passes and 33 ints. Does an unproven McGuire scare me? Yes. Does bringing in a declining retread scare me? Yes.

Just saying though, the last two declining retreads we brought in at QB (Collaros, Durant) we ended up with a Grey Cup win and Streveler respectively.

That said, I wouldn't bother with Jennings, though I understand the argument for him.

I can accept TBurg’s premise that not having an experienced back-up could be a problem if Collaros goes down (an issue that every CFL team save for Hamilton and Toronto would face if a similar fate infolded) and that Collaros’ history of injuries makes that scenario a non-zero possibility. BUT every veteran has had to have been a rookie at some point. And TBurg has gone to great lengths to remind of how poor the Bombers have been at grooming QBs, so I am not sure which path of dissent he wants to go down here. McGuire has not shown anything, good or bad, to pass judgement yet on him. Jennings has, and aside from his one breakout year in BC, reviews have not been great. McGuire’s grooming has been as low risk as possible so far. He was a third stringer who spent a year learning the offence and running practice but not thrust into live action save for convert holds. Now he is the back-up in a league that now only allows two QB spots. Now sure what TBurg would expect in terms of his development otherwise. If you want a QB in camp who knows the systems, he is as good as anyone. And that in game experience has to be developed at some point, maybe this is the year he takes that next step. Of what little I saw in pre-season last year, I saw no reason to abandon our hopes on him as a player for us in the future at this time. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

regarding that roster..... I'm really curious to see if either of the Hallett's stake a claim to Safety during camp (BA is scheduled to start camp there, as per Our Man Tait), allowing BA to move over to one of the Corner/HB spots. That'll be a neat thing to watch throughout camp. Other than that, it's all about The Leg and how he performs once the lights come on. Other than that, that roster looks pretty damn good...

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

regarding that roster..... I'm really curious to see if either of the Hallett's stake a claim to Safety during camp (BA is scheduled to start camp there, as per Our Man Tait), allowing BA to move over to one of the Corner/HB spots. That'll be a neat thing to watch throughout camp. Other than that, it's all about The Leg and how he performs once the lights come on. Other than that, that roster looks pretty damn good...

Im more of a ain't broke don't fix it guy and much prefer BA at safety. He seemed to excel there last season and IMO was just a meh corner/half back. I do think Noah is our future at safety, but asking a rookie to start there in season one is a tall task. I think Nick is probably a career special teamer/backup.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Maybe we are holding out to see what happens with Streveler.  He's going to be in tough to stick in the NFL this year. 

25 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Im actually kind of excited to see Liegghio. Im sure competition will be brought in but itll probably be more fodder than an actual threat. Man it would be nice if Medlock was able to take a few weeks out of his schedule and come up here to mentor him for a bit. Wishful thinking.

Never know with a guy like Medlock and his relationship with Oshea.  Maybe he's will to come out of retirement if Liegghio struggles. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

In the last 3 years McGuire has 0 CFL TD's and has thrown for 17 total yards. Jennings played on Ottawa who only won 3 games in 2019. Some of that is on him, some of it is beyond his control. Jennings doesn't have a huge upside, but he has experience. A rookie QB, which is what McGuire essentially is, won't win us the cup. A vet backup would at least give us a chance.

So what you are saying is that McGuire is unbeaten and has never loss a game in the CFL in the last 3 years unlike Jennings who has lost many games.  That's what I got out of this! 

I'll be surprised if we don't bring in another kicker right before camp. I have no issue with Liegghio, his college career is certainly impressive, but at least for a little insurance it would be nice to have another camp leg.

As for the backup quarterback position. I tend to agree with TBurg on this one. I don't even like Jennings but there's something to be said for having some experience of any kind. In the early 2010s we left ourselves with Brink, Elliott, and Goltz after Buck Pierce got injured and two of those guys couldn't even throw a football.

3 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Looks mighty fine to me!

Im actually pretty comfy with that group of WRs going into a 2nd year together. I think bailey and especially lawler are poised for monster seasons. 

I also love the depth on the DL and the versatility to rotate guys kongbo, and a couple really good depth imps. 

A thing that is often forgotten by fans, is the team needs the vet player to WANT to come here. And in the case....come here and sit on the PR. Also I believe the report on Jennings is that he just doesn't put in the work needed to be a successful qb. And the culture of this team doesn't gel with that type of attitude.