2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You can and I will make a big deal about McGuire's lack of experience. Collaros is injury prone. He only played 4 games last year. He's played in18 games twice in his 9 year career, the last time was 2017. Not having any experience behind him is one of our biggest issues. Hamilton's QB situation puts them in the #1 spot at least until the season starts.

If we can get 14 games out of him, before the playoffs, I'm good with that.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Of course, TSN & 3DN both call the Ti Cats a "Super Team". How many 30 plus year olds are on that team yet no talk of them being "Over The Hill" like the talk of the Bombers are. The only difference between the 2 is at the qb position with Dane Evans & Jeremiah Massoli as both have CFL experience. We have Collaros who is a GC winner & Sean McGuire who has thrown 3 CFL passes. But two years ago, Evans hadn't thrown a single pass either when Massoli went down with his Achilles injury.

Let them be fat and happy.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

You can and I will make a big deal about McGuire's lack of experience. Collaros is injury prone. He only played 4 games last year. He's played in18 games twice in his 9 year career, the last time was 2017. Not having any experience behind him is one of our biggest issues. Hamilton's QB situation puts them in the #1 spot at least until the season starts.

You're not wrong, but this is the CFL. If you've got a quarterback with experience in the league that would have been available as a backup in mind I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by Y2C

2 minutes ago, Y2C said:

You're not wrong, but this is the CFL. If you've got a quarterback with experience in the league that would have been available as a backup in mind I'd love to hear about it.

and not just a back up with experience....but a back-up who didn't suck during their "experience"........who is that person? 

There’s a few things being lost on the analysts that I feel like we should be paying more attention to. 

Won’t come up as prominently against Hamilton, since they’ve also returned the majority of their roster but our continuity + ability to coach the quirky parts of the game could lead to us absolutely taking advantage of Toronto/Calgary in weeks 2-4 as they settle in with all their new players learning new systems. Unfamiliarity with the schemes, league, staffs, etc leaves them wide open for being dismantled in an area where we always excel - special teams. May take a while to coach up the receivers or the defensive backs that are new to our roster, but guys like the Halletts .. no doubt they’ll be ready to go on special teams week 1.

Next is that we’re returning almost every single piece in the trenches. Talk about age all you want, to be returning 8 of 9 starters on the OL/DL is huge and it’s unmatched league wide. 

Lastly, we still have a culture that lends itself well to being able to respond well to adversity. We already know the buy-in is there with our roster, these new guys should be able to take advantage of a locker room that is going to be solid enough that our new players should fit right in. No drama, no players like Banks talking about “will I play, won’t I play?”, that stands out as something that could be a big help in such a weird year.

You got me confused @Mike 

at one post you said: "I don’t so much see it as a vet vs rookie issue, but as an age issue and a talent issue with all of the newcomers coming in." where you mentioned the names of our 3 starters in DL - "Jeffcoat, Willie, Jake"

and at your last post: "Talk about age all you want, to be returning 8 of 9 starters on the OL/DL is huge and it’s unmatched league wide."

🤔

but I really agree on this
"
Lastly, we still have a culture that lends itself well to being able to respond well to adversity. We already know the buy-in is there with our roster, these new guys should be able to take advantage of a locker room that is going to be solid enough that our new players should fit right in"

The O'Shea factor is really is the X-factor. Players especially the vets have that much respect with him that they won't come in not fit and not ready for the season. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

27 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

You got me confused @Mike 

at one post you said: "I don’t so much see it as a vet vs rookie issue, but as an age issue and a talent issue with all of the newcomers coming in." where you mentioned the names of our 3 starters in DL - "Jeffcoat, Willie, Jake"

and at your last post: "Talk about age all you want, to be returning 8 of 9 starters on the OL/DL is huge and it’s unmatched league wide."

🤔

What’s confusing about it, I’m fully prepared for a vet or two to show up in camp and have it end up as a situation where the year off has taken its toll on them. Will it be Jefferson or Jeffcoat? No, I don’t think so. Thomas? Realistically? Yeah, that’s a fair bet in my books. I also don’t even really consider Thomas as a starter, although I guess I should have. I was thinking of Jefferson, Jeffcoat and Richardson. 

That being said, we still have the option and potential for a ton of continuity in the trenches, which is huge.

Is there a good to great experienced backup QB out there? Nope, but Jennings is probably the best experienced backup QB to bring to TC. If McGuire can't beat him for the #2 spot, then he's not our QB of the future anyway. If/When Streveler becomes available, I'd offer him the #1A spot. In the meantime, Jennings would have a mysterious injury forcing him onto the IR where his salary doesn't matter to the SMS and it allows McGuire to get the #2 QB reps.

Reasons:

1. Experienced backup QB who has won and lost games in the CFL. Dude's thrown for 13K yards in the CFL and thrown 69 TD's.
  2. Experienced backup QB who knows our system and who is in all the meetings. (Why you bring him to camp)
  3. Experienced backup QB who we could instantly put on the roster if/when Collaros goes down.
  4. Don't have to bring in a QB who doesn't know the system if/when Collaros goes down.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

52 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Is there a good to great experienced backup QB out there? Nope, but Jennings is probably the best experienced backup QB to bring to TC. If McGuire can't beat him for the #2 spot, then he's not our QB of the future anyway. If/When Streveler becomes available, I'd offer him the #1A spot. In the meantime, Jennings would have a mysterious injury forcing him onto the IR where his salary doesn't matter to the SMS and it allows McGuire to get the #2 QB reps.

Reasons:

1. Experienced backup QB who has won and lost games in the CFL. Dude's thrown for 13K yards in the CFL and thrown 69 TD's.
  2. Experienced backup QB who knows our system and who is in all the meetings. (Why you bring him to camp)
  3. Experienced backup QB who we could instantly put on the roster if/when Collaros goes down.
  4. Don't have to bring in a QB who doesn't know the system if/when Collaros goes down.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Jennings is probably half the leagues worst case scenario right now. Not bringing him in for camp makes me think the chances of us pulling the trigger on him are very low. 

23 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

If the coaches thought McG wasnt able to step in and produce, we would have an experienced backup QB in camp. 

Chances are we will see what he can do at some point this season. 

I have a hunch hes a player.  

Yeah I already tried to explain that to him but he won't listen. 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Being the underdog is what Osh craves. We haven't had a coach that loved being a 'dog this much since Dave Ritchie....

“Unfinished business” oh man those words haunt me. Glad O’Shea could bring it home for us. I was born in 91 this was the first Grey cup in my life time!

9 hours ago, Y2C said:

They'll only have Massoli & Evans for this year. After that, one of them signs elsewhere. If the Ti Cats don't win this season they may go another 22 years before they win a championship again. This organization is under even more pressure than we were to win. Huge, huge expectations. They'll either do it or come apart at the seams.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They'll only have Massoli & Evans for this year. After that, one of them signs elsewhere. If the Ti Cats don't win this season they may go another 22 years before they win a championship again. This organization is under even more pressure than we were to win. Huge, huge expectations. They'll either do it or come apart at the seams.

I think Coach Steinhauer brings many of the same qualities that Osh does to his club.  He is building a solid locker room and culture there. I can see them hoisting the cup within a few years.