2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

• Noeller changed the title to 2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff
2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The Freep was positively gushing over the Greenies today. Wildly optimistic to the point where the article looked like it was written by the president of the Rider fan club.

that's cool and all but what's it got to do with the Bombers TC/Pre-Season? 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

The Freep was positively gushing over the Greenies today. Wildly optimistic to the point where the article looked like it was written by the president of the Rider fan club.

Hamiltons piece reads as though he glanced over the cliff notes from the 2019 season for 5 minutes before writing said article. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Hamiltons piece reads as though he glanced over the cliff notes from the 2019 season for 5 minutes before writing said article. 

I have not seen a single article that deals with the reality of the current Rider squad. Loads of praise which virtually ignores everything that happened in 2019 and what's happened since. Rider fans are going to be so confused when they go 6-8 this season. 

35 minutes ago, JCon said:

I have not seen a single article that deals with the reality of the current Rider squad. Loads of praise which virtually ignores everything that happened in 2019 and what's happened since. Rider fans are going to be so confused when they go 6-8 this season. 

100%. the 2 articles on 3dn about labatte retiring (he would be 37 and out of football for 2 years next, thats what this is) seem to have only the mildest concern for them replacing half their OL.  They dont even have a lot of league back up experience. Hardrick and couture probably have more combined cfl games then their entire roster of OL. I wouldnt be surprised if neuf and gray or desjarlais combined for more too. Or if bryant alone was close to matching their entire unit. 

Fajardo has a big step to make going from a first year starter to succeeding consistently after other teams have a good amount of film on him in the cfl. 1 spin move and 1 pattern created a TON of their success last year. That has to grow exponentially to continue succeeding. That was their primary limiting factor before they lost half their OL. 

At one point in time, Rick mirer was touted by no less than bill walsh as the next joe montana. He had a better rookie year than drew bledsoe, despite taking a TON more sacks. And in that rookie year he also had at most 5 passing plays, almost never checked down, and had a gigantic split for favored side of the field. In year 2 bledsoe smashed mirers production on an epic level as mirer was never able to adapt to more than he could execute in his first year. He became a huge draft bust with 26 more picks than tds and 20+ loses more than wins. 

Fajardo has to over come what mirer didnt. And with out a stable OL. 

Edited by wbbfan

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

100%. the 2 articles on 3dn about labatte retiring (he would be 37 and out of football for 2 years next, thats what this is) seem to have only the mildest concern for them replacing half their OL.  They dont even have a lot of league back up experience. Hardrick and couture probably have more combined cfl games then their entire roster of OL. I wouldnt be surprised if neuf and gray or desjarlais combined for more too. Or if bryant alone was close to matching their entire unit. 

Fajardo has a big step to make going from a first year starter to succeeding consistently after other teams have a good amount of film on him in the cfl. 1 spin move and 1 pattern created a TON of their success last year. That has to grow exponentially to continue succeeding. That was their primary limiting factor before they lost half their OL. 

At one point in time, Rick mirer was touted by no less than bill walsh as the next joe montana. He had a better rookie year than drew bledsoe, despite taking a TON more sacks. And in that rookie year he also had at most 5 passing plays, almost never checked down, and had a gigantic split for favored side of the field. In year 2 bledsoe smashed mirers production on an epic level as mirer was never able to adapt to more than he could execute in his first year. He became a huge draft bust with 26 more picks than tds and 20+ loses more than wins. 

Interesting comparison. Love the football history here. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Their OL will be fine once their new guys get their “holding” skills upto speed.

39 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It is a bit concerning to me that Andrew Harris has been sitting out a year and is not 20 years old any more. I take comfort in that our coach and GM are on the job, but primo Canadian running backs are rare birds.

Fortunately we have two in Augustine and Oliviera. 

21 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Fortunately we have two in Augustine and Oliviera. 

Augustine has not impressed me as being an heir-apparent to Harris. He looks ok but those are pretty big shoes  to fill. Oliviera showed promise but his injury after-effects may be a concern.

Edited by Tracker

Augustine has not impressed me as being an heir-apparent to Harris. He looks ok but those are pretty big shoes  to fill. Oliviera showed promise but his injury after-effects may be a concern.

We will know pretty quick if AH has kept in shape. Takes more work for the older guys to keep up, even more so for a guy that didnt have top end speed to begin with.  His initial burst, vision and ability to spin, forearm is what he does best. 

I hope we dont see a C. Roberts type decline with AH. 

He's had 2 years to work out the kinks.

32 minutes ago, Dodge and Burn said:

We will know pretty quick if AH has kept in shape. Takes more work for the older guys to keep up, even more so for a guy that didnt have top end speed to begin with.  His initial burst, vision and ability to spin, forearm is what he does best. 

I hope we dont see a C. Roberts type decline with AH. 

Wow, at least see Harris run first in a couple of games before you pass judgement on him that he's washed up.

Some random thoughts across this thread so far....

Harris is a workout animal, and he has never been a speed runner. He will perform at a high level when healthy. At his age and his usage level I am far more worried about durability than performance. Augustine and Oliviera are the heir apparents but don't forget to throw Bursa into the mix. 

The Rider OL is hot garbage right now. Labatte opting out leaves a massive hole in a line that already had massive holes to fill. Fajardo better bring his ballet shoes to camp because if he thought he had to spin in 2019 that was just practice for this year. I really don't see how Hamilton or anyone else can be gushing about the RIders. Football teams are built along the LOS and I don't see much on either line for the Riders.

10 hours ago, Tracker said:

You are not impressed by Augustines 6+ yards per carry yet you are impressed by Oliviera's zero carries and one big injury?

That is a weird take.  

27 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Worse comes to worst - Harris declines and Augustine/Oliviera/Borsa are not good enough - then we can go back to 🇺🇸 RB. I do think we have 🇨🇦 content to make the switch. 

Yea...a Harris decline would suck, but realistically it is a very easily solved problem. I want AH to get 2000 yards from scrimmage but I would also take it by committee if need be or have a third of it go elsewhere in the offence with an American giving us 1200-1400 yards combined. With our OL any RB we put behind them is going for 1000 yards in an 18 game schedule....get one that can catch a few balls out of the backfield as well and we are alright. I feel that Demski would just start seeing a lot more action in the short game and we would not lose a beat.

Edited by GCn20

Interesting that we got Liegghio with the pick we got from Toronto in the Collaras deal. If he ends up being as good as he's supposed to be we basically got Collaros for nothing as and elite canadian kicker is worth a first round pick. 

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Worse comes to worst - Harris declines and Augustine/Oliviera/Borsa are not good enough - then we can go back to 🇺🇸 RB. I do think we have 🇨🇦 content to make the switch. 

With our offensive line we have nothing to worry about.  Augustine is nothing special to me but he can still put up big yards with this line. Augustine hits the hole hard and has some nice acceleration. Even Andrew Harris has benefitted from this offensive line compared with how he was in BC.