Never Have I Ever.......

In a shameless attempt to boost my status from “Newbie” to “Rookie” and earn more badges (bit of a slow starter apparently having been here for 8 years), and also as a follow up to the “what I learned today” thread, thought I would float out this random topic so we can all see what things we have never achieved that seemingly everyone else in the world would have done. 

So I will begin:

Huge movie buff, but I have never seen Gone With the Wind, Citizen Kane, or Sound of Music to name but 3. 

Huge TV fan but have never seen Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Everybody Loves Raymond, or Arrested Development. 

Love to travel, and even went to communist Russia, but I have never ever set foot in Quebec. 

And finally, have lived in Manitoba all my life, but I have never caught a fish. 

Some famous movies I have never watched: any of The Godfather movies, E.T., Citizen Kane, Titanic.

Some well-known TV series I have never watched even a single episode of: Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Will and Grace, The Sopranos.

If I have ever heard a song by the likes of Beyonce/Jay Z/Nickleback/Blink 182 (I chose these as famous acts that I’ve at least heard of) I wouldn’t know it. And I have no idea what the kids listen to these days…

I have been to every province from B.C. to Quebec, the Yukon and Northwest Territories, but never the Maritimes. Moved to New Zealand before I made it to the Maritimes; however, my Kiwi wife loves Anne of Green Gables so there is still a chance for PEI!

In New Zealand, feijoa is a popular fruit but I’ve never tried one in almost 15 years. Early on someone told me it tastes like the back of a stamp and someone else who tried one for the first time confirmed it.

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

And finally, have lived in Manitoba all my life, but I have never caught a fish. 

😀

that is def. unusual. 

41 minutes ago, bb.king said:

If I have ever heard a song by the likes of Beyonce/Jay Z/Nickleback/Blink 182 (I chose these as famous acts that I’ve at least heard of) I wouldn’t know it

what band would you know?

2 hours ago, bb.king said:

In New Zealand, feijoa is a popular fruit but I’ve never tried one in almost 15 years. Early on someone told me it tastes like the back of a stamp and someone else who tried one for the first time confirmed it.

I had ever heard of these until you mentioned them, I do chat with a Kiwi fairly regularly on another forum so I asked him. This is what he told me:

Two camps. Hate em or Love em. I don't love em, but son and Mrs do. Have a tree at home, over produces.
Passionfruit size. Cut in half and scoop out whitish pulp like a kiwifruit/chinese gooseberry. Taste sort of like guava?

Both my parents were raised on the farm. My Dad from Moosehorn & my Mom from Oakburn. Growing up, my Mom used to make this dish quite a bit. They both loved it. I refused to even taste it as it looked so terrible. My Dad used to say =, "You don't know what you're missing." I answered back, "Yes, I do." Jellied Pigs Feet is the absolutely most disgusting food humans ever created, That jelly is all fat.

Festive jellied meat – Kocsonya – Hungarian Tidbits

Hungarian pork jelly - kocsonya | Zserbo.com

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Both my parents were raised on the farm. My Dad from Moosehorn & my Mom from Oakburn. Growing up, my Mom used to make this dish quite a bit. They both loved it. I refused to even taste it as it looked so terrible. My Dad used to say =, "You don't know what you're missing." I answered back, "Yes, I do." Jellied Pigs Feet is the absolutely most disgusting food humans ever created, That jelly is all fat.

Festive jellied meat – Kocsonya – Hungarian Tidbits

Hungarian pork jelly - kocsonya | Zserbo.com

I bet it's amazing. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Head cheese is made with the brain. 

My wife's old school Ukrainian grandmother ALWAYS has that around the house. I dry heaved the first time I was at her house and saw it on the table. My father in law was raised on it and thinks it's the greatest thing. I just can't imagine anything grosser....

On 2021-06-25 at 7:03 AM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is that what they call “head cheese?”  

I believe so.

On 2021-06-25 at 8:50 AM, Noeller said:

My wife's old school Ukrainian grandmother ALWAYS has that around the house. I dry heaved the first time I was at her house and saw it on the table. My father in law was raised on it and thinks it's the greatest thing. I just can't imagine anything grosser....

There was absolutely no way my parents were going to make me eat that. That was a hill I was prepared to die on. They knew it, too.