2021 Off-season: State of the Jets

Found this old article but its great to know he's comfortable playing on both sides.  

https://thehockeywriters.com/san-jose-sharks-brenden-dillon-versatile-defense/

“A little bit, there’s pluses and minus to both. I think when you’re coming back defensively, and a guy has a step on your right side being a lefty, the stick is a foot or two further in front. Hopefully, you don’t put yourself in that situation, but if you’re on the left side, you have to reach across your body to get stick-on-stick. For me, I’m comfortable playing either side.

Edited by Colin Unger

41 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

But for this season i imagine the pairings will be Morrisey/Demalo, Dillon/Pionk, Stanley/Free Agent.  Im hoping we can get Hamonic on a hometown discount. 

I think there is a really good chance Heinola makes the team this year. That kid is really really good. 

Great piece by Murat Ates in The Athletic about the upcoming salary negotiations on the Jets. Sets out well why, even when people moan about Maurice playing vets over the rookies, how it isn’t possible all the time in a cap world to just play the best lineup on paper. 

https://theathletic.com/2745438/2021/08/02/how-are-the-jets-going-to-fit-andrew-copp-neal-pionk-and-logan-stanleys-new-contracts-under-the-salary-cap/

Helle. Comrie 

Morrissey Schmidt 

Dillon Pionk 

Stanley Demelo. 

I'd imagine Ville will be the 7th d.. niku the 8th and Beaulieu Is waived after camp due to cap purposes. Or traded for a late pick( get rid of his cap space completely) 

Connor Scheif Wheeler 

Perfetti Dubois Ehlers 

Stastny Lowry Ves 

Harkins Gus Nash  

Jets gonna need some cheap contracts here. 

Where's Copp? Traded before arbitration for picks  

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

6 mil seems steep right now, but I feel like he'll be worth more than that by the time the contract is done. To me, he's the second best/most important D after Morrissey....

Buying a few UFA years too, here. Given his time logged, I expected an arbitration ruling of around $6M, anyhow. This locks up next year and a few UFA years. Not too many, though. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

6 mil seems steep right now, but I feel like he'll be worth more than that by the time the contract is done. To me, he's the second best/most important D after Morrissey....

Its still a much better deal then what Trouba signed for and IMO he's a much better player then Jacob.