2021 Off-season: State of the Jets

8 hours ago, captaincanuck12 said:

According to Capfriendly Demelo has a no trade clause and thus he must be protected in accordance with expansion draft rules

Murat Ates did a piece in The Athletic about the Jets expansion draft. Says DeMelo has a modified no trade and therefore does not need to be protected. So do Morrissey (starts in 2025) and Scheifele. Only Wheeler with a full no move MUST be protected in that fashion. 

https://theathletic.com/2648101/2021/06/12/projecting-the-protected-list-whos-staying-with-the-winnipeg-jets-and-who-could-be-picked-by-the-seattle-kraken/

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

22 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Murat Ates did a piece in The Athletic about the Jets expansion draft. Says DeMelo has a modified no trade and therefore does not need to be protected. So do Morrissey (starts in 2025) and Scheifele. Only Wheeler with a full no move MUST be protected in that fashion. 

https://theathletic.com/2648101/2021/06/12/projecting-the-protected-list-whos-staying-with-the-winnipeg-jets-and-who-could-be-picked-by-the-seattle-kraken/

Thanks for clarifying!

4 hours ago, iHeart said:

Goodbye BellMTS hello Canada Life (and hello another new voice over on Transit buses) I have no idea why the name is changing either

Because MTS/BellMTS had the naming rights contract for the first 10 years, and they got outbid or didn't bid at all to get the naming rights contract for the next 10 years.

On 2021-06-13 at 11:35 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Funny but outside of Stanley I dont care if a D is taken.

Losing DeMelo in the playoffs shows how weak the right side of the D is. I'd rather lose Stanley than DeMelo.

I don't think we have to worry about it because they probably take Apples.

Rumors of Chevy giving our 17th? for their 34th and they draft Beaulieu. That would be a best case scenario in my opinion.

I think Pionk's next deal starts with a 6. Copp's starts with a 4 at least and not sure if it will be with us.

I don't think Stastny comes back.

I'm not sure if Vesalainen makes the tean out of TC but I think Gus does. Heinola probably does too, if he isn't moved.

I hope MP re-signs for 1 x 1.5m or less.

For those wishing DeMelo goes to Seattle and saying Morrissey isn't worth his contract, did you see what they did against McDrai in the first round? Did you see the state of our D with DeMelo out?

Edited by Jimmy from Lockport

5 minutes ago, Jimmy from Lockport said:

Losing DeMelo in the playoffs shows how weak the right side of the D is. I'd rather lose Stanley than DeMelo.

I don't think we have to worry about it because they probably take Apples.

Rumors of Chevy giving our 17th? for their 34th and they draft Bealieu. That would be a best case scenario in my opinion.

I think Pionk's next deal starts with a 6. Copp's starts with a 4 at least and not sure if it will be with us.

For those wishing DeMelo goes to Seattle and saying Morrissey isn't worth his contract, did you see what they did against McDrai in the first round?

Maybe Jets do a reverse this year compared to VGK. Protect no one and get a spare dman from SEA. A #4 dman from most teams is top 2 here :D

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

There is no way the Jets as a team can let Stanley be picked off by the Kracken, guy wasn't even on the radar for this year if ever and was a surprise to the fans and management for the way he has progressed, still has lots to learn but but every other team would kill for what he brings as a bottom D man at the age of 22

will the seattle team use 

"release the kraken"in their pr?

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

every other team would kill for what he brings as a bottom D man at the age of 22

including, he has a very good shot from the blueline. 

Edited by Mark F

I think the deciding factors are that DeMelo has a locked in contract for 3 years more, and is a right handed shot. The management here likes contract security, and we have seen how this defence has struggled almost to a man when they are asked to play off their off side. We have Pionk, DeMelo, and Poolman on the right side now and that’s basically it (Nelson Nogier is the only other righty on the roster) and Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg, and Niku on the left with Stanley (along with Forbert, Benn, and Beaulieu if we wanted to re-sign any of them). Is Stanley better than Heinola or Samberg, and is Nogier better than DeMelo? Barring a trade for a strong right d-man (who then need to protect anyway), both those questions need to be a yes for us to expose DeMelo over Stanley unless we can guarantee neither gets plucked. 

• 4 weeks later...