Round 2 - Game 1 : Montreal

9 hours ago, JCon said:

Series is over. The Habs will be fired up and will roll them. 

Such a selfish, dangerous play by someone who should know better. I hope Evans is okay. 

I'm not going to write off the Jets unless we are 0 and 2 after tomorrows game

5 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

100% clean.

Puss league. Get your ******* head up, it's playoffs. 0 head contact.

Hit of the year but it's being vilified due to scenario. If he pops up it's on the highlight reel.

0 fine, 0 games.

A nobody #6 d-man like Edmondson saying something public doesn't change the fact.

Shoulder into chest moments within puck on stick. 

Hit of the playoffs. Get off the track.

It’s called charging. 

10 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I didn’t spot the incident but early in the game Perry or someone did something to 55 and he was pissed. His eyes got crazier and crazier as the night went on. Maurice has to notice that his player has changed and do something to bring him back down. That expression on Schielf’s face after the hit tells me he was proud of that hit in the moment. Dude doesn’t deserve to play again this year. 

Scheifele pretty much always has the crazy eyes, though.

As bad as this hit looked, it was a hockey play and it was unavoidable given what each player was trying to do.

You have to watch this play at full speed.  The freeze frames and slow-mo's don't reflect on how little time Scheifele had to finish this play.

The skating paths these 2 players had to take to arrive at the point of collision were a recipe for disaster.  Anyone saying Scheifele skated 200 feet to take Evan's head off is full of it - he was in a puck race.  Friedman posting the charging rules without any nuance suggests that a player should not get into a puck race if there is a chance the player he is pursuing will need to perform a wraparound.

Scheifele was trying to prevent an empty net goal.  He was probably skating between 30 and 40 km/hr.  He needed as straight a line as possible in order to do this.  If he arrives 3/10's of a second earlier, he prevents the goal and it becomes a great hockey play with an unfortunate result.  His stick blade was on the ice right before he had to raise it in order to brace for impact.

With less than half a second before impact and still going at considerable speed (in his necessarily straight line), he realizes he is too late to prevent the goal.  All he can do at this point is brace himself for impact.  Evans has head down (because wraparound) and is totally unprepared for the collision.  I am not blaming Evans at all - he was just trying to score.  On the other hand, I don't blame Scheifele either as he was just trying to stop him.

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

As bad as this hit looked, it was a hockey play and it was unavoidable given what each player was trying to do.

You have to watch this play at full speed.  The freeze frames and slow-mo's don't reflect on how little time Scheifele had to finish this play.

The skating paths these 2 players had to take to arrive at the point of collision were a recipe for disaster.  Anyone saying Scheifele skated 200 feet to take Evan's head off is full of it - he was in a puck race.  Friedman posting the charging rules without any nuance suggests that a player should not get into a puck race if there is a chance the player he is pursuing will need to perform a wraparound.

Scheifele was trying to prevent an empty net goal.  He was probably skating between 30 and 40 km/hr.  He needed as straight a line as possible in order to do this.  If he arrives 3/10's of a second earlier, he prevents the goal and it becomes a great hockey play with an unfortunate result.  His stick blade was on the ice right before he had to raise it in order to brace for impact.

With less than half a second before impact and still going at considerable speed (in his necessarily straight line), he realizes he is too late to prevent the goal.  All he can do at this point is brace himself for impact.  Evans has head down (because wraparound) and is totally unprepared for the collision.  I am not blaming Evans at all - he was just trying to score.  On the other hand, I don't blame Scheifele either as he was just trying to stop him.

To me this play didn't look like 'There's a little less than a minute to go, we need that puck back so I can go tie it up'. 

It looked more like a 'I've been really frustrated this game'.

I don't think he had intent to injure tho like some anti Jet people are saying on the interwebs.

His history would suggest he's not that type of player as I'm sure many other NHLers would say. More of a lapse in judgement.

However, it's pure speculation on my part, I wasn't in his head leading up to that moment.

Regardless he's getting suspended.

It will be interesting to see how the Jets come out for Friday's game.

20 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To me this play didn't look like 'There's a little less than a minute to go, we need that puck back so I can go tie it up'. 

It looked more like a 'I've been really frustrated this game'.

I don't think he had intent to injure tho like some anti Jet people are saying on the interwebs.

His history would suggest he's not that type of player as I'm sure many other NHLers would say. More of a lapse in judgement.

However, it's pure speculation on my part, I wasn't in his head leading up to that moment.

Regardless he's getting suspended.

It will be interesting to see how the Jets come out for Friday's game.

Except that the Jets scored 40 seconds prior and still had a minute on the timeclock.

He was certainly frustrated, but he frequently looks upset and frustrated.

Agree no intent to injure, although only he truly knows what his intent was.

Not sure about the lapse in judgement part.  He was trying to prevent a goal by getting to the necessary point on the ice first.

He'll definitely get suspended.  Parros has to cover up for the Wilson fiasco.

The Jets are in tough if Stastny and Scheifele are both out on Friday.  Fortunately, they are centre-rich.

I re-watched the footage - it was a good thing Ehlers was there to hold everyone back that was trying to get at Sheif as they would have crushed Evans who was lying there defenseless on the ice.  Ehlers was the only one looking out of Evans, not sure why the Montreal players didn't seem to care, though they were all seeing red at the time I guess.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

there's no question it was charging and it'll be a suspension, but it won't be nearly as much as some would like to see. I still say 2 games is the punishment.

Two games is more then fair. Charging yes, but can’t give out suspensions because someone gets hurt.

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The hit was not high, he did not throw an elbow, he went through the body with the check, Evans was low and Scheifele is bigger, AND NONE OF THAT MATTERS. You can’t line up a player from the blue line and take that kind of run at him head on. The intent was not to play the puck or stop the goal, it was to punish him and he was out cold before he hit the ice.Then smacking his head on the ice makes it worse. Given Scheifele’s lack of history, and it being the playoffs where suspensions get cut in half, I could see one game, maybe 2 (think 2 is appropriate because it would be 4 in the regular season), but the degree of injury and the state of the series will dictate some of that. This is where being a goon actually might have mitigated a suspension, because George Parros likes to go soft on repeat offenders and ding first timers who do things out of character. 

Beyond the injury itself, what might prove to be bad is that, had the Jets just lost they could shrug and say they played awful and still were right in it late. Now Scheifele has given the Habs all the motivation they need to keep their foot on the gas and sucked a ton of energy from the Jets going forward. I honestly would still have picked the Jets to win the series even with this loss, but after that hit I really think that could spell the Jets doom.  

I agree with everything here expect for intent. Tough to determine intent from an outside view