Round 2 - Game 1 : Montreal

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Will totally depend on how bad Evans is hurt. That’s the NHL way. 

Knowing this is not football, but in football to reduce head injuryies (at least at the minor level) trying to get away from players clocking other players when they are in a vulnerable position. Hit may have been technically ‘clean’ but player was completely in a vulnerable position. Don’t know where the NHL stands on this.

5 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

As @TrueBlue4ever said, depends on the severity of the injury.  55 left his feet too so not sure if you can consider it clean.   No need for him to do that though.

Did he leave his feat?  Didn’t see that in the replay.

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Knowing this is not football, but in football to reduce head injuryies (at least at the minor level) trying to get away from players clocking other players when they are in a vulnerable position. Hit may have been technically ‘clean’ but player was completely in a vulnerable position. Don’t know where the NHL stands on this.

Player was vulnerable because he was so focused on tucking the puck in and didn’t have his head up.  Maybe he should have been more aware of his surroundings.

7 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Did he leave his feat?  Didn’t see that in the replay.

Player was vulnerable because he was so focused on tucking the puck in and didn’t have his head up.  Maybe he should have been more aware of his surroundings.

Love my Jets but I don’t t know if I’m with you on that one about the Mtl player being more of his surroundings. My guess is after MS emotions settled down, he’s probably thinking he would have done that differently.

Anyways hope the player is okay, Jets regroup and we even the series on Friday.

From Fans of the Winnipeg Jets:

Scheifele will have a hearing tomorrow. While no doubt he had no intent to injure. The end result was bad. With the bizarre track record of Player Safety it's hard to say what will happen but we do expect a suspension of at least one game.

The hit was not high, he did not throw an elbow, he went through the body with the check, Evans was low and Scheifele is bigger, AND NONE OF THAT MATTERS. You can’t line up a player from the blue line and take that kind of run at him head on. The intent was not to play the puck or stop the goal, it was to punish him and he was out cold before he hit the ice.Then smacking his head on the ice makes it worse. Given Scheifele’s lack of history, and it being the playoffs where suspensions get cut in half, I could see one game, maybe 2 (think 2 is appropriate because it would be 4 in the regular season), but the degree of injury and the state of the series will dictate some of that. This is where being a goon actually might have mitigated a suspension, because George Parros likes to go soft on repeat offenders and ding first timers who do things out of character. 

Beyond the injury itself, what might prove to be bad is that, had the Jets just lost they could shrug and say they played awful and still were right in it late. Now Scheifele has given the Habs all the motivation they need to keep their foot on the gas and sucked a ton of energy from the Jets going forward. I honestly would still have picked the Jets to win the series even with this loss, but after that hit I really think that could spell the Jets doom.  

13 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Love my Jets but I don’t t know if I’m with you on that one about the Mtl player being more of his surroundings. My guess is after MS emotions settled down, he’s probably thinking he would have done that differently.

Anyways hope the player is okay, Jets regroup and we even the series on Friday.

Fair enough.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I was coached to hit a guy with his head down.  Times have changed, but body checking is still allowed and if Evans pops up like nothing happened, nobody is saying anything.

Agreed on hoping He’s okay... Don’t want to see anyone get hurt.

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The hit was not high, he did not throw an elbow, he went through the body with the check, Evans was low and Scheifele is bigger, AND NONE OF THAT MATTERS. You can’t line up a player from the blue line and take that kind of run at him head on. The intent was not to play the puck or stop the goal, it was to punish him and he was out cold before he hit the ice.Then smacking his head on the ice makes it worse. Given Scheifele’s lack of history, and it being the playoffs where suspensions get cut in half, I could see one game, maybe 2 (think 2 is appropriate because it would be 4 in the regular season), but the degree of injury and the state of the series will dictate some of that. This is where being a goon actually might have mitigated a suspension, because George Parros likes to go soft on repeat offenders and ding first timers who do things out of character. 

Beyond the injury itself, what might prove to be bad is that, had the Jets just lost they could shrug and say they played awful and still were right in it late. Now Scheifele has given the Habs all the motivation they need to keep their foot on the gas and sucked a ton of energy from the Jets going forward. I honestly would still have picked the Jets to win the series even with this loss, but after that hit I really think that could spell the Jets doom.  

I don’t disagree with some of what you said, but you actually think you know what Scheifele’s intent was?

5 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I don’t disagree with some of what you said, but you actually think you know what Scheifele’s intent was?

Puck was already in the net. His intent was not to play the puck but hit the player, and hit him hard. Not sure there is much question about that. 

I didn’t spot the incident but early in the game Perry or someone did something to 55 and he was pissed. His eyes got crazier and crazier as the night went on. Maurice has to notice that his player has changed and do something to bring him back down. That expression on Schielf’s face after the hit tells me he was proud of that hit in the moment. Dude doesn’t deserve to play again this year. 

9 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I didn’t spot the incident but early in the game Perry or someone did something to 55 and he was pissed. His eyes got crazier and crazier as the night went on. Maurice has to notice that his player has changed and do something to bring him back down. That expression on Schielf’s face after the hit tells me he was proud of that hit in the moment. Dude doesn’t deserve to play again this year. 

Great point about the coaching aspect. There’s the letting the player play on the edge to helping make sure he doesn’t cross it.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

Series is over. The Habs will be fired up and will roll them. 

Such a selfish, dangerous play by someone who should know better. I hope Evans is okay. 

Yea you get that feeling. What a complete change of events from sweeping away the best player on the planet, being well rested, being overall healthy, home advantage playing the fourth placed team to now this. 180 degree change for the worse. 

100% clean.

Puss league. Get your ******* head up, it's playoffs. 0 head contact.

Hit of the year but it's being vilified due to scenario. If he pops up it's on the highlight reel.

0 fine, 0 games.

A nobody #6 d-man like Edmondson saying something public doesn't change the fact.

Shoulder into chest moments within puck on stick. 

Hit of the playoffs. Get off the track.

Edited by Dr Zaius

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Will totally depend on how bad Evans is hurt. That’s the NHL way. 

You can’t take a run at someone like that. If he is trying to stop the goal, needs to play the stick. And the fact he got knocked out warrants the major. And furthermore, Scheifele was visibly irked all night and arguing with the refs. All that adds up to a no-brainer call. 

from FotWJ

Montreal's Jake Evans was examined at the hospital and released, He is back at Montreal's hotel

that's all we know right now