2021 NHL Playoffs

Interesting stat. Since the onset of the four best-of-7 series (1987), a team that just completed a sweep is 30-30 in the next round, but has lost the last 6 times it occurred. And when a team that swept plays a team that won in 7 in the next round, the team that swept goes 4-7. They have lost the last 5 times in a row going back to 2001. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Interesting stat. Since the onset of the four best-of-7 series (1987), a team that just completed a sweep is 30-30 in the next round, but has lost the last 6 times it occurred. And when a team that swept plays a team that won in 7 in the next round, the team that swept goes 4-7. They have lost the last 5 times in a row going back to 2001. 

Rest vs Rust...... It's a fine line. 

More fun with numbers:

The Jets 3 OT wins was the 32nd time in NHL history that a club has accomplished that feat in a single series. Only once in the prior 31 occurrences has a club lost despite 3 OT wins in a series (Philadelphia in 2020, who lost all 4 regulation games but won all 3 OT games). Of the other 30 times that a team has won a series with 3 OT wins or more, 4 have happened in the Stanley Cup Final. Of the remaining 26, 16 times that team has lost in the next round. and 5 more have ultimately gone on to win the Stanley Cup in a later round. 22 of the 31 times a club has gone 3-0 in OT in a series, 7 times 3-1, once 3-2, and Toronto in 1951 won the Stanley Cup 4-1 over Montreal with every game going to OT. 

The Jets are the 5th team ever to win 3 consecutive games in OT in one series (no team has ever 4 OT games in a row in one playoff year), and they are the 4th team to win 3 OT games as part of a sweep. Chicago in 1995 swept round 2 with 3 OT wins and lost in the next round, Detroit in 1997 won 3 in OT as part of a second round sweep and went on to win the Stanley Cup. The teams with 3 consecutive OT wins include the aforementioned 1951 Leafs in the Cup final, the 1993 Islanders in round one who would lose in round 3, and the 1994 Canucks in round 1 who would go all the  way to the Cup final before losing. 

And there is only one other team that has ever won 3 consecutive OT games in one series as part of a sweep. In 1993 the Montreal Canadiens swept Buffalo in round 2, winning games 2-4 all in OT. They would then become the only team to ever win 3 OT games in a series twice in one playoff year when they beat the Kings in the Cup final by winning 3 in extra time. Again they did it in consecutive games, winning games 2-4 in OT after losing the opener, then clinching the Cup in game 5 in regulation. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Leaf haters, which is every hockey fan outside of omtario, are having a lot of laughs.

could we name the network hockey panels after a common powered garden implement for moving leaves?

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

just a casual impression, but austin matthews is a level below connor mcdavid

Zero question. They're actually not close. I'm old school so I chalk it up to Canadian vs American but whatever it is, McDavid is in a class all his own.

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Zero question. They're actually not close. I'm old school so I chalk it up to Canadian vs American but whatever it is, McDavid is in a class all his own.

Yup but still Edmonton loses when it counts. How many years have they had to build around him, the best player on the planet? They’ve been gifted first round draft picks for losing consistently.

Sorry but growing up as a Jet fan in the 80’s and 90’s losing consistently to Gretzky and company I shed no tear for this team. 

But I still love you Noeller. :)

Don't like what I'm hearing guys.....Middle of the Universe media called Helle the BEST goalie in the Universe.....Wasn't that the handle they gave McDavid (best player in the World) and look what happened to him and his club...I think the media types in the east are trying to give the Connor's the kiss of death...They don't seem to have anything else going for them, especially with the way things look for their Torranna club