Power play

Is Paul Maurice the only coach in the NHL that does not believe in parking a big man in front of the net to screen the goaltenders vision and possibly deflect pucks into the net?  The Jets do not have an effective power play they simply cycle the puck and rarely shoot the puck on net.

I think the issues stem from leadership.  This recent slide reeks of 2019.   Jets couldn't win a game to save their life and grab hold of 1st in the Central.   Same crap here in 2021.  There was no Matt Hendricks to parachute in to help bring backing to Wheeler's leadership.   All I hear, albeit unconfirmed, is that Wheeler is a terrible leader, and he's grooming Schiefele to be just like him. 

I don't know if Maurice is also the problem, but he's certainly not helping anything by letting the "locker room take care of it themselves".   

Jets need new leadership IMO and I think Lowry is the guy for this team.    We also need some more size and sandpaper.   Buff's loss was a huge detriment.

Edited by captaincanuck12

15 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I think the issues stem from leadership.  This recent slide reeks of 2019.   Jets couldn't win a game to save their life and grab hold of 1st in the Central.   Same crap here in 2021.  There was no Matt Hendricks to parachute in to help bring backing to Wheeler's leadership.   All I hear, albeit unconfirmed, is that Wheeler is a terrible leader, and he's grooming Schiefele to be just like him. 

I don't know if Maurice is also the problem, but he's certainly not helping anything by letting the "locker room take care of it themselves".   

Jets need new leadership IMO and I think Lowry is the guy for this team.    We also need some more size and sandpaper.   Buff's loss was a huge detriment.

I would agree, I believe some have underestimated the impact of losing Buff. Yes he sometimes was a giveaway man but his other strengths made up for it and more.

51 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I am curious to know what your source of this “unconfirmed” information is. What I heard from the broadcasters earlier in the year was that the room was tight and everyone was getting along great in the aftermath of the Laine trade. That is not surprising when you are winning. I can’t speak to what is going on now as I am not in the room. All I can comment on is what I have heard with my own ears and seen with my own eyes. Wheeler has acknowledged that his style did run a few (specifically Laine) the wrong way, and he had to adapt his style and acknowledge his shortcomings. That is old news. Haven’t heard any updates contradicting that. Or that Maurice is turning a blind eye to what is going on. And when I watch the team now, I don’t see a team that has quit on each other or their coaches, despite the recent swoon. They got beat by a hot goalie yesterday, beat by a hot goalie in Ottawa, beat by a hot Toronto goalie to start the slide, lost 2 games solely because of the other teams’ power play, and they are squeezing the sticks and making dumb plays at times for sure. And there have been some bad games for sure. Lots of reasons and excuses if you will, but I am not seeing the open revolt that would spell the end of all hope. And I see Wheeler manning up every game in front of the media patiently answering the question for the players about the struggles. And he was the hottest Jet during the slump with a 6 game point streak. 

As for Buff, that loss and the collapse of the D as a whole is the main reason for our struggles. The amount of size and strength we lost in one off season from Chariot, Trouba, Myers, and Buff would be catastrophic for any team. Forbert may be an adequate replacement for Chariot, but he should be no more than a 5-6 guy, not top 4. Chariot could play light minutes and be protected with Buff, Morrissey, Trouba, Myers, Morrow, Kulikov and  Enstrom in front of him. Poolman and Stanley have been thrown to the wolves this year. Stanley is Myers with slightly less better hands, more physicality, and a lot less experience. Pionk is a fundamentally different type of defenceman than Trouba was, Poolman is not a fair replacement for Trouba, and Morrissey without Trouba is a downgrade from Morrissey with him. DeMelo is turning into Kulikov 2.0, where we were happy to have that back end experience when he first came here, but now one has to wonder if that is not a bad contract to have. And there will never be a replacement for a Byfuglien. What sucks is how little control we had over the gutting of that D. Trouba was gone the second he could be, and all things considered we got a better than expected deal out of it, Myers was signing with Vancover no matter what, and Buff pulled the rug out from under us with his last second retirement. Chariot is the only mistake, and one we could not have predicted since Buff was still coming back at that point. The only other issue I have is that our draft and trade choices for defencemen have been on the small side by and large. Niku and Heinola are Enstrom clones, with hopefully more offensive upside (and I guess they were the highest rated players when the Jets’ turn came) and Morrissey, DeMelo and Pionk are not big guys comparatively. All this to say, I don’t think these deficiencies have much to do with the on-ice captaincy. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

The power play of late has been non-existent or if you prefer anemic....Cripes,I don't think they could hit an empty net on some of our chances...The goaltending the other clubs have shown lately is little or no different than the beginning of the year....What's happened since then, is going on in the locker room, of which we are not privy to....If the coach can't get it together and present a stronger showing with this team then he has to be shown the door...Something is radically wrong...You'd think we would be putting up a stronger effort with the playoffs around the corner ...A couple of games left...IF we let Van. leave looking like they should be in the playoffs instead of us and then get destroyed by T.O....the writing will be on the wall for the rest of the campaign..

Don’t want to derail the thread, but D men were brought up and specifically, the size of our D.  It made me wonder why Johnathan Kovacevic doesn’t get any consideration.  He’s 6-5, 220lbs and is currently a +10 with the Moose.  He’s also got 14 points in 29 games, which isn’t bad.  I haven’t seen him play, outside of a few clips and highlights, so I’m not saying he could step in and play, but I never even hear him mentioned.

re bigger d men....

just checked duncan keith's wiki page says he weighs 192 pounds.

4 hours ago, Richkid6 said:

that does not believe in parking a big man in front of the net to screen the goaltenders vision and possibly deflect pucks into the net? 

saw a bit of this last night.  didnt work, but they tried it.

Edited by Mark F

My brother and cousins share a daily jets blog with me they agree with the Wheeler leadership theory and that possibly Maurice adds fuel to the fire in turning a blind eye.  I am a wpg born but currently reside in Calgary where they have similar theories of the Jets current woes on the Fan 960. 

26 minutes ago, Richkid6 said:

Put Logan Stanley in front of the opponents net on the power play that would be interesting 

Everybody thinks because Buff did this during one playoffs (2010 Hawks run) that any big guy can do it. There is one Buff...I don't know that there will ever be anything like him ever again. Extremely unique asset. Let's just worry about Stanley getting better at playing his current position...