Projected lines tonight:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler

Copp-Dubois-Perreault

Stastny-Lowry-Appleton

Toninato-Thompson-Lewis

Morrissey-DeMelo

Forbort-Pionk

Stanley-Benn

Toninato draws in... Because apparently Harkins was the problem with the 4th line.  Thompson must have some serious dirt on Maurice.

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

Projected lines tonight:

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler

Copp-Dubois-Perreault

Stastny-Lowry-Appleton

Toninato-Thompson-Lewis

Morrissey-DeMelo

Forbort-Pionk

Stanley-Benn

Toninato draws in... Because apparently Harkins was the problem with the 4th line.  Thompson must have some serious dirt on Maurice.

Thompson is on the penalty kill unit. Harkins isn’t. Not really any more complicated than that. 

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thompson is on the penalty kill unit. Harkins isn’t. Not really any more complicated than that. 

Come on.  You actually think that Thompson is irreplaceable on the PK?  Please.

Playing guys like Thompson is a reason why the Jets are stagnating.  Wouldn’t you rather see a 4th line of Harkins, Gustafsson and Lewis?  For once I’d like to have a bit of anticipation when our 4th line comes on the ice.  Thompson is a beer leaguer that wouldn’t be on any other NHL team.

53 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Playing guys like Thompson is a reason why the Jets are stagnating. 

Nah. The top 6 playing poorly, defensemen trying to do too much, and a generally poor team defensive effort are why the Jets have looked like dogshit lately.

Changing up the fourth line to include two developing players wouldn't fix what ails this team. Shitting on a veteran player because you don't like him is just childish, BTW.

@TrueBlue4everalso didn't say Thompson is irreplaceable on the PK. But Harkins taking his place on it sounds like a terrible idea.

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Nah. The top 6 playing poorly, defensemen trying to do too much, and a generally poor team defensive effort are why the Jets have looked like dogshit lately.

Changing up the fourth line to include two developing players wouldn't fix what ails this team. Shitting on a veteran player because you don't like him is just childish, BTW.

@TrueBlue4everalso didn't say Thompson is irreplaceable on the PK. But Harkins taking his place on it sounds like a terrible idea.

Thanks for telling me I’m childish, dad.

I never said changing up the 4th line would cure the team of all its problems, but it could possibly inject a little life into a poor line.  And I’m not necessarily dumping on Thompson; I’m more dumping on the decision to play him.

I didn’t specifically say Harkins could take Thompson’s spot on the PK, I’d use Gustafsson, but what makes you think it’s a terrible idea?  People act like there are no other options than Thompson.

I do agree that this team’s issues are multiple and the top 6 definitely need to perform better.... As does the coaching.

1 minute ago, BomberBall said:

Thanks for telling me I’m childish, dad.

I didn't call you childish; I said you shitting on a player is. Try not to misconstrue what others post. See below.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Thompson must have some serious dirt on Maurice.

Nope. Maurice likely understands he has a specific role to play on this team, which is on the fourth line and the PK, and deploys him as such. Same with Lewis, Perreault (when he was on the 4th), Toninato, etc.

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

Thompson is a beer leaguer that wouldn’t be on any other NHL team.

Thompson has played over 800 games in the NHL during his career in a predominately bottom 6 role on a number of teams. By your logic, he must have dirt on several NHL coaches, managers, etc. But there's no logic in such a conclusion. He is a depth player and that's why he was signed.

Dump on the coach if you disagree but what's to be gained by crapping on the player? What makes you think Gustafsson would be better on the PK? There's a reason you don't put young developmental players in low-minute roles on the bottom 6 or in special teams roles to which their skill set is not suited. 

Until the top 6 gets it collective act together and the blue line can find some semblance of playing from the net out more consistently, this team is likely headed for another first round exit barring some miracle. But at this stage in the season, swapping out a player or two for a couple of games doesn't seem like a solution for a team languishing like the Jets are.

49 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I didn't call you childish; I said you shitting on a player is. Try not to misconstrue what others post. See below.

Nope. Maurice likely understands he has a specific role to play on this team, which is on the fourth line and the PK, and deploys him as such. Same with Lewis, Perreault (when he was on the 4th), Toninato, etc.

Thompson has played over 800 games in the NHL during his career in a predominately bottom 6 role on a number of teams. By your logic, he must have dirt on several NHL coaches, managers, etc. But there's no logic in such a conclusion. He is a depth player and that's why he was signed.

Dump on the coach if you disagree but what's to be gained by crapping on the player? What makes you think Gustafsson would be better on the PK? There's a reason you don't put young developmental players in low-minute roles on the bottom 6 or in special teams roles to which their skill set is not suited. 

Until the top 6 gets it collective act together and the blue line can find some semblance of playing from the net out more consistently, this team is likely headed for another first round exit barring some miracle. But at this stage in the season, swapping out a player or two for a couple of games doesn't seem like a solution for a team languishing like the Jets are.

Ugh, forget it.  If you think Thompson, at age 36, deserves to be in the lineup, so be it.  I strongly disagree.  And for clarity, I’ve been suggesting that Gustafsson get time since the season began, not ‘at this stage’.  Didn’t want Thompson on the team from day one.

from FotWJ: 

The NHL is allowing Paul Stastny's family into the arena for tonight's ceremony marking his 1,000th NHL game -- but only with strict protocols, including his kids being pulled from school and tested for COVID regularly over the last week-plus

Edited by iHeart

7 minutes ago, iHeart said:

from FotWJ: 

The NHL is allowing Paul Stastny's family into the arena for tonight's ceremony marking his 1,000th NHL game -- but only with strict protocols, including his kids being pulled from school and tested for COVID regularly over the last week-plus

Too bad VAN not on bench during ceremony.