Game 54 : Vancouver

4 hours ago, bb1 said:

Nice to see Heinola get more of a shot..

Well, all those who wanted Stanley and Heinola back on defence instead of the more experienced guys, be careful what you wish for. Heinola already -2 and directly responsible for the first goal. But at least Connor got off the schneide. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, all those who wanted Stanley and Heinola back on defence instead of the more experienced guys, be careful what you wish for. Heinola already -2 and directly responsible for the first goal. But at least Connor got off the schneide. 

Give me a break.... Kid makes a mistake and we should condemn him?  He’s going to be a very good player, but there will be a bump or two along the way.... Like there is with every young player.

14 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I hope all of the Jets’ good bounces are coming in the playoffs, because they’re getting a **** load against these last few weeks.

I also acknowledge that they’ve played like crap.  Not making excuses.

zero luck last while.

6 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Give me a break.... Kid makes a mistake and we should condemn him?  He’s going to be a very good player, but there will be a bump or two along the way.... Like there is with every young player.

Benn and Forbert don’t seem to be given any rope by those who pine for Heinola, so applying that logic it would only be fair to hold him to the same standard. Of course I exaggerate, but the point is made that around here the most popular guy is always the back-up QB type. And as mistakes go, that decision by him was pretty brutal. The classic dictionary definition of “rookie mistake”. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Benn and Forbert don’t seem to be given any rope by those who pine for Heinola, so applying that logic it would only be fair to hold him to the same standard. Of course I exaggerate, but the point is made that around here the most popular guy is always the back-up QB type. And as mistakes go, that decision by him was pretty brutal. The classic dictionary definition of “rookie mistake”. 

I don't see Benn sticking around after this season to be honest

Our d better be overhauled next year.  Bring in Samberg and Heinola.  Get rid of Beaulieu and Benn.   Heinola pair with Morissey.  Pionk with Samberg.  Stanley with Poolman/Demelo.  Keep Forbort as 7th defenceman. These guys need to grow at the NHL level and now.  

Better sign a top 2 d and give Forbort his walking papers.

Edited by captaincanuck12

9 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Our d better be overhauled next year.  Bring in Samberg and Heinola.  Get rid of Beaulieu and Benn and Forbort.   Heinola pair with Morissey.  Pionk with Samberg.  Stanley with Poolman.  Keep Forbort as 7th defenceman. These guys need to grow at the NHL level and now.  

Yea our d needs to be changed. But making a 20 year old your top 2 defenceman is a good way to ruin him. Stanley has shown the value of letting a raw player develop in the minors for a few years and then easing him in, and Morrissey has also shown the danger of putting too much on the shoulders of a young blue liner too soon. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The HUGE difference there is, everyone knows what you get from Forbort and Benn.  They are players who are what they are and they’re not going to get any better.  Heinola is a skilled young player with big potential.  I’d rather see Heinola develop, with a few possible hiccups, than an average and below average defenseman, make the same mistakes with no upside.

12 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

The HUGE difference there is, everyone knows what you get from Forbort and Benn.  They are players who are what they are and they’re not going to get any better.  Heinola is a skilled young player with big potential.  I’d rather see Heinola develop, with a few possible hiccups, than an average and below average defenseman, make the same mistakes with no upside.

I agree. But where we differ is in how he should develop. Right now, Forbert and his shot blocks and Benn and his simple game are better than Heinola’s future upside. And we need to be worried about right now with the playoffs looming. If the Jets can find a big physical defenceman to complement Morrissey like Trouba did, then maybe Stanley can pair with Pionk to continue his growth, and find a steady stay at home veteran who can protect Heinola or Samberg in limited minutes, that is how I would approach it. Heinola is the future, not the present.