Game 52 : @ Calgary

I find it weird coming out of a 7 game losing streak we clinch a playoff spot. Goes in line with all this weirdness with sport and life for the last 14 months or so.

Let’s now be rewarded by forcing a TSN headline to read, ‘Great regular season and individual accomplishments mean nothing now, (Leafs or Oilers) eliminated in first round by losing to the Jets in (insert number). What went wrong, what changes are needed for next season?’

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I find it weird coming out of a 7 game losing streak we clinch a playoff spot. Goes in line with all this weirdness with sport and life for the last 14 months or so.

Let’s now be rewarded by forcing a TSN headline to read, ‘Great regular season and individual accomplishments mean nothing now, (Leafs or Oilers) eliminated in first round by losing to the Jets in (insert number). What went wrong, what changes are needed for next season?’

If Oilers lose out - disappointment
If Leafs lose out - choke

The lunchbucket guys along with Helle won that one and clinched a berth....Wheels came alive and it sure would be nice to see him carry that play into the playoffs...Maybe we were just playing possum in the last 7 games....I don't see at as any ploy to chose who we're gonna face...cuz it really doesn't look like it matters much...We're going to be in tough whoever we play

It was interesting watching the little featurette during the intermission last night of the 2018 team beating Nash in G7 that year...... you can't help but think this team just doesn't have anywhere near the same juice that team did. Helle might be a better goalie now, but other than that....I'm not sure this team is even nearly as good as that one. Especially on the back end...

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

It was interesting watching the little featurette during the intermission last night of the 2018 team beating Nash in G7 that year...... you can't help but think this team just doesn't have anywhere near the same juice that team did. Helle might be a better goalie now, but other than that....I'm not sure this team is even nearly as good as that one. Especially on the back end...

It isn’t as good. Not close. But if you compare every Jets’ team to the standard set by the 2018 bunch you are in for a lifetime of disappointment. I have said it before a few times, a season like that comes around maybe once every 30 years for a team. That team was better than the 2019 Blues’ Cup Champion team, probably better than the Vegas team that out-goalied us in the Conference Finals that year, and certainly better than the Dallas team that went to the Finals last year. You can’t fairly measure every iteration of a team against the best version ever and simply declare the current version a failure. If that was the case, then the 2019 Bombers did not measure up to the 2001 juggernaut.

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It isn’t as good. Not close. But if you compare every Jets’ team to the standard set by the 2018 bunch you are in for a lifetime of disappointment. I have said it before a few times, a season like that comes around maybe once every 30 years for a team. That team was better than the 2019 Blues’ Cup Champion team, probably better than the Vegas team that out-goalied us in the Conference Finals that year, and certainly better than the Dallas team that went to the Finals last year. You can’t fairly measure every iteration of a team against the best version ever and simply declare the current version a failure. If that was the case, then the 2019 Bombers did not measure up to the 2001 juggernaut.

I don't agree with that. They lost the Western Conference Finals to Vegas. I would hope that we could make the Stanley Cup Finals once every 30 years if that is indeed a goal. Surely after 30 years we'd have a higher bar to raise than that. Losing the Conference championship can't be the ultimate result of 30 years of trying. The top of the mountain. If we had that  same defense from 2018 in front of Hellebuyck now with the firepower we have on this team we'd be challenging for the Cup as legit contenders. Not just hoping to just win a single round to save the season. Our back end is the problem along with Paul Maurice. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That team was better than the 2019 Blues’ Cup Champion team, probably better than the Vegas team that out-goalied us in the Conference Finals that year, and certainly better than the Dallas team that went to the Finals last year.

DAL maybe but VGK/STL better then us.