Jump to content

Travis Rudolph / ALM / BLM


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"I need to drive my two-year-old to daycare tomorrow morning. To ensure we arrive alive, we won't take public transit (Oscar Grant). I removed all air fresheners from the vehicle and double-checked my

I think it's really tough for us to understand what it is like to a black person in the US. Do we have racism in Canada? Of course we do. But people of colour here don't live in terror of having their

I used to hear about police shootings at traffic stops and despite the horror I would always on the back of my white privileged mind say “yeah, but why did the black man not just listen to police comm

17 minutes ago, bustamente said:

That's a pretty quick deliberation I will be shocked if the verdict doesn't come back guilty, the appeal will come just as quick.

To what charges though? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mark F said:

Former Minnesota police officer Derek Chauvin has been found guilty on three counts of murder and one count of manslaughter in the May 25, 2020 death of George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man who was handcuffed by police on suspicion of passing a counterfeit $20 bill. Chauvin then proceeded to pin Floyd onto the pavement, with his knee on Floyd's neck, for a full 9 minutes and 29 seconds.

 

salon

 

Wow, I am really surprised to see guilty on Murder 2 and Murder 3.  Manslaughter was a given.

 

Nice to see justice prevailing.

 

Just remember... if not for Darnella Frazier hitting record on her phone- this is how it would have gone down officially:

EzclDgXUUAU6txp?format=jpg&name=medium

 

 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

 

Wow, I am really surprised to see guilty on Murder 2 and Murder 3.  Manslaughter was a given.

 

Nice to see justice prevailing.

 

Just remember... if not for Darnella Frazier hitting record on her phone- this is how it would have gone down officially:

EzclDgXUUAU6txp?format=jpg&name=medium

 

 

I'm surprised it was Guilty on all counts, I expected him to be convicted of at least one of those charges but hey at least something went right, and it only took 11 months after the incident

Link to post
Share on other sites

Justice Department Announces Sweeping Minneapolis Police Probe

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is opening a sweeping investigation into policing practices in Minneapolis after a former officer was convicted in the killing of George Floyd there, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Wednesday.

The decision comes a day after former officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death last May, setting off a wave of relief across the country. The death prompted months of mass protests against policing and the treatment of Black people in the U.S.

The Justice Department was already investigating whether Chauvin and the other officers involved in Floyd’s death violated his civil rights.

“Yesterday’s verdict in the state criminal trial does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis,” Garland said.

The new investigation is known as a “pattern or practice” — examining whether there is a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing — and will be a more sweeping probe of the entire police department and may result in major changes to policing there.

It will examine the use of force by police officers, including force used during protests, and whether the department engages in discriminatory practices. It will also look into the department’s handling of misconduct allegations and its treatment of people with behavioral health issues and will assess the department’s current systems of accountability, Garland said.

Justice Department Announces Sweeping Minneapolis Police Probe | HuffPost

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as there remains a system of financial inequality in America, there will be continued crime in America as result of that inequity, disproportionately res presented by the poor. And so long as there is systemic racial inequality, the number of poor will be disproportionately African Americans. And so long as those in power seek to systemically keep the poor in their place (as was so well put by Trevor Noah on his earlier video), the police will continue to oppress those who they see as not respecting their place. And as long as police continue to be trained in suppression tactics to “gain and establish control” in all situations, police will still have a “shoot first” mentality. And with every training video of the dangers of every traffic stop where a officer gets ambushed and shot, their mentality will be that they must neutralize the threat before they become the victim. And as long as every American can carry guns legally, every traffic stop will pose that presumed threat that will justify these aggressive police tactics in their minds, and will promote that militaristic style of training. Multi-layered problem, but rather Than the tired whataboutism that creates the belief that “since we can’t fix everything, we shouldn’t do anything”, let us hope that a starting point can be found, and that these issues can be ticked off one by one. I would love to see guns for everyone taken out of the equation as a starter, to at least remove the paranoia of officers that every interaction is a shootout waiting to happen, so their assessment of a threat is a bit more measured and reasonable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

As long as there remains a system of financial inequality in America, there will be continued crime in America as result of that inequity, disproportionately res presented by the poor. And so long as there is systemic racial inequality, the number of poor will be disproportionately African Americans. And so long as those in power seek to systemically keep the poor in their place (as was so well put by Trevor Noah on his earlier video), the police will continue to oppress those who they see as not respecting their place. And as long as police continue to be trained in suppression tactics to “gain and establish control” in all situations, police will still have a “shoot first” mentality. And with every training video of the dangers of every traffic stop where a officer gets ambushed and shot, their mentality will be that they must neutralize the threat before they become the victim. And as long as every American can carry guns legally, every traffic stop will pose that presumed threat that will justify these aggressive police tactics in their minds, and will promote that militaristic style of training. Multi-layered problem, but rather Than the tired whataboutism that creates the belief that “since we can’t fix everything, we shouldn’t do anything”, let us hope that a starting point can be found, and that these issues can be ticked off one by one. I would love to see guns for everyone taken out of the equation as a starter, to at least remove the paranoia of officers that every interaction is a shootout waiting to happen, so their assessment of a threat is a bit more measured and reasonable. 

America has never really healed from the many decades of slavery. The country continues to fracture along the same lines that the Macon-Dixon divide delineated and the resentment of having to give up slaves has mutated into what it is now.  American police forces are populated with ex-military who have undiagnosed and untreated PTSS with the mentality that all problems can be resolved with enough force. Here in Canada, many police divide the people they serve into those who are slavishly supportive and anyone who questions or resists being tagged as "__ holes", worthy of nothing but contempt.  Bullies target those who they see as most vulnerable and least likely to fight back, and those are non-white and non-binary in sexuality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tracker said:

America has never really healed from the many decades of slavery. The country continues to fracture along the same lines that the Macon-Dixon divide delineated and the resentment of having to give up slaves has mutated into what it is now.  American police forces are populated with ex-military who have undiagnosed and untreated PTSS with the mentality that all problems can be resolved with enough force. Here in Canada, many police divide the people they serve into those who are slavishly supportive and anyone who questions or resists being tagged as "__ holes", worthy of nothing but contempt.  Bullies target those who they see as most vulnerable and least likely to fight back, and those are non-white and non-binary in sexuality.

This is so wrong and off base. Not true at all. 

 

Edited by Brandon
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Care to actually quantify your statement with anything even remotely substantial? And no, your nonsensical anecdotes don't count.

I live in reality and anyone else who does would realize the statement about Canada is absolute nonsense.  If anyone would feel the need for me to quantify my statement then those folks are in need of some serious help to deal with their mental health from being so detached from reality and living in some weird paranoid delusional world.    

It's as ridiculous as making a statement saying that the earth is flat in which I would as well wouldn't need to provide any sort of evidence that the world is indeed round because the answer is such an obvious one.   

If anyone believes what he wrote they need to seek help immediately because they are not well.    Denial is a very common trait for folks dealing with paranoid schizophrenia. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I live in reality and anyone else who does would realize the statement about Canada is absolute nonsense.  If anyone would feel the need for me to quantify my statement then those folks are in need of some serious help to deal with their mental health from being so detached from reality and living in some weird paranoid delusional world.    

It's as ridiculous as making a statement saying that the earth is flat in which I would as well wouldn't need to provide any sort of evidence that the world is indeed round because the answer is such an obvious one.   

If anyone believes what he wrote they need to seek help immediately because they are not well.    Denial is a very common trait for folks dealing with paranoid schizophrenia. 

What a ridiculous retort. The projection and delusion here are troubling to say the least. Telling strangers on forum to seek help because you either can't or won't expand on your opinions is pretty messed up. That's the definition of gaslighting and it's bordering on sociopathic.

Also, you refuted another person's claim and it's your responsibility as a willing participant in a productive discussion to substantiate your claims. That's not an unreasonable request - at all. If you don't want to do that and instead choose to attack others petulantly, you should probably just avoid these discussions altogether.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What a ridiculous retort. The projection and delusion here are troubling to say the least. Telling strangers on forum to seek help because you either can't or won't expand on your opinions is pretty messed up. That's the definition of gaslighting and it's bordering on sociopathic.

Also, you refuted another person's claim and it's your responsibility as a willing participant in a productive discussion to substantiate your claims. That's not an unreasonable request - at all. If you don't want to do that and instead choose to attack others petulantly, you should probably just avoid these discussions altogether.

to be fair neither @Brandon or @Tracker provided any evidence to back up their respective statements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

to be fair neither @Brandon or @Tracker provided any evidence to back up their respective statements.

Very true, and Brandon’s best first response probably could have been to ask Tracker on what basis that assertion was being made about police in Canada. Instead, he chose to dismiss it as completely untrue rather than ask for an expansion. So he now takes the role of throwing out a blanket statement, and can fairly be put to task to back it up. His over the top non-response to that request only serves to diminish his credibility and in fact unintentionally strengthen Tracker’s original position without Tracker having to justify it. Not really getting anywhere at the end of the day. Hopefully some more fruitful discussion can be put forward. 
 

In the words of Melania Trump, “Be best”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Very true, and Brandon’s best first response probably could have been to ask Tracker on what basis that assertion was being made about police in Canada. Instead, he chose to dismiss it as completely untrue rather than ask for an expansion. So he now takes the role of throwing out a blanket statement, and can fairly be put to task to back it up. His over the top non-response to that request only serves to diminish his credibility and in fact unintentionally strengthen Tracker’s original position without Tracker having to justify it. Not really getting anywhere at the end of the day. Hopefully some more fruitful discussion can be put forward. 
 

In the words of Melania Trump, “Be best”

So much the bolded parts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

to be fair neither @Brandon or @Tracker provided any evidence to back up their respective statements.

If I were to accuse True Blue and Tracker of being extreme racists and anti-LGBTQ and make such an odd and baseless claim.  In no way should they need to go out of their way to defend themselves from me making such a terrible statement.  They shouldn't have to dignify a response using evidence and facts to such a stupid statement which I would hope everyone would read is obviously false.

My evidence if you want.  My transgendered friend in law enforcement,  dozens of other LGBTQ members in law enforcement, my dozens of POC friends in law enforcement, the hundreds of law enforcement officers that I've met,  the countless reserves that I've visited all would say Tracker's statement is a complete farce and is insulting.    Anyone who wasn't so lazy could do research on requirements and training at all the police agencies in Canada and compare it to the States where basically some places give you a badge and a gun and say good luck.  

Is society so far gone and so lazy and gullible on reading and believing every rant and rave on the Internet that they would need for someone to explain to them with evidence on why the world is not flat?  I shouldn't need to explain why the world is not flat.   If anyone believes the world is flat they need to seek mental health ASAP.  It's the same with his original claim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If I were to accuse True Blue and Tracker of being extreme racists and anti-LGBTQ and make such an odd and baseless claim. 

If I were either of them, I would say, "you're full of ****, show me where this is the case or shut the **** up".  the onus always rest on the person making the assertion. 

Also, I am not defending Tracker's statements in any way- just saying that knee jerk reaction is not always the best way to go.

 

 

 

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

 Here in Canada, many police divide the people they serve into those who are slavishly supportive and anyone who questions or resists being tagged as "__ holes", worthy of nothing but contempt.  Bullies target those who they see as most vulnerable and least likely to fight back, and those are non-white and non-binary in sexuality.

Ok, that is a bold statement with a very large brush to paint the entire police apparatus we have here- what are you basing this on?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

If I were either of them, I would say, "you're full of ****, show me where this is the case or shut the **** up".  the onus always rest on the person making the assertion. 

Also, I am not defending Tracker's statements in any way- just saying that knee jerk reaction is not always the best way to go.

 

 

 

Ok, that is a bold statement with a very large brush to paint the entire police apparatus we have here- what are you basing this on?

If you read my comments, I did not state that these attitudes were held by the entire police forces- only some. I base my comments on the comments of relatives in the police forces, and experiences in the work I have been engaged in. The mindsets of officers who have been traumatized is such is that if they seek help, they are often treated as somehow inferior and damaged beyond repair.  Many will leave the service. There is a powerful group ethic to cover for fellow officers who have stepped over the line.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am of two minds on this whole police racism thing. Part of me is appalled by any racist behavior on the part of police, particularly when it manifests itself in a tragedy or excessive use of force. The other part of me wonders how much of it is actually racism though as opposed to just a cop using excessive force and exercising extremely poor judgement. Let's face it, the reality is that 90% of police calls come from socio-economic disadvantaged areas of their jurisdiction. When 90% of your time is spent in areas that are predominantly populated by black, native, or other visible minorities due to the fact that statistically they have large communities of economic disadvantage and therefore crime, then that is where the poor policing is most likely to occur. I'm not sure if this behavior is overtly racist, just bully police officers who finally get their chance to be bullies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GCn20 said:

I am of two minds on this whole police racism thing. Part of me is appalled by any racist behavior on the part of police, particularly when it manifests itself in a tragedy or excessive use of force. The other part of me wonders how much of it is actually racism though as opposed to just a cop using excessive force and exercising extremely poor judgement. Let's face it, the reality is that 90% of police calls come from socio-economic disadvantaged areas of their jurisdiction. When 90% of your time is spent in areas that are predominantly populated by black, native, or other visible minorities due to the fact that statistically they have large communities of economic disadvantage and therefore crime, then that is where the poor policing is most likely to occur. I'm not sure if this behavior is overtly racist, just bully police officers who finally get their chance to be bullies.

This is why I support defunding the police. First responders should be better equipped to handle some of these issues. We redirect a highly trained, professional police force to deal with non-policing issues. 

 

One of the factors, as I've been told by members of the force, is that you simply cannot speak out against fellow officers. You may be able to get away with telling someone off but the whole force will come down on you, plus the union, if you don't tow the line. It becomes like a gang. They are human. Internal stuff stays internal, unless it's captured on video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is why I support defunding the police. First responders should be better equipped to handle some of these issues. We redirect a highly trained, professional police force to deal with non-policing issues. 

 

One of the factors, as I've been told by members of the force, is that you simply cannot speak out against fellow officers. You may be able to get away with telling someone off but the whole force will come down on you, plus the union, if you don't tow the line. It becomes like a gang. They are human. Internal stuff stays internal, unless it's captured on video. 

Yea...I can believe that. They are trained to have each others backs and the lines can become easily blurred between when to do so, and when not to do so very easily I would think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...