Travis Rudolph / ALM / BLM

Jpan85

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...I can believe that. They are trained to have each others backs and the lines can become easily blurred between when to do so, and when not to do so very easily I would think.

It's very much like the military (although that's stretching it a bit). You want to trust the person next to you. 

It's probably one of my main two issues I have with unions. The union always protects the person facing the complaint and it feels like they're protecting the bad ones, while not supporting the good ones. There's a lot more to it than that, I know.

45 minutes ago, Tracker said:

If you read my comments, I did not state that these attitudes were held by the entire police forces- only some. I base my comments on the comments of relatives in the police forces, and experiences in the work I have been engaged in. The mindsets of officers who have been traumatized is such is that if they seek help, they are often treated as somehow inferior and damaged beyond repair.  Many will leave the service. There is a powerful group ethic to cover for fellow officers who have stepped over the line.  

The bolded part: Absolutely I 100% agree. That is where the system needs to change. 

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

My evidence if you want.  My transgendered friend in law enforcement,  dozens of other LGBTQ members in law enforcement, my dozens of POC friends in law enforcement, the hundreds of law enforcement officers that I've met,  the countless reserves that I've visited all would say Tracker's statement is a complete farce and is insulting.    Anyone who wasn't so lazy could do research on requirements and training at all the police agencies in Canada and compare it to the States where basically some places give you a badge and a gun and say good luck.  

This is all anecdotal. It is not objective evidence backed by empirical data in any way, shape, or form. 

And I wouldn't accuse others of being lazy for not doing research when all you've done is use your personal experience and supposed social relationships to back up your claims. That's not at all how critical thinking works.

Furthermore, nobody has argued training for LEOs in Canada isn't by and large more superior than our neighbours down south. Training for police and other law enforcement agencies up here is very stringent for the most part and nobody is just given a gun, a badge, and a pair of handcuffs without rigorous checks and training. However, that doesn't mean law enforcement culture in Canada doesn't have its own set of issues or that shortcomings don't exist which allow for bigotry, misogyny, etc. to affect that culture or its image negatively. There are always improvements to be made so that LEOs can better serve the communities in which they work while being more mindful, considerate, and understanding of social and culture differences between populations across this country vis a vis the laws they're asked to enforce and the people they're responsible to serve and protect. Changes to the system can also be made to weed out the bad candidates and cultivate a more open and accountable culture with all Canadians. 

It also shouldn't be about comparing ourselves to the US; that's a very low bar, anyway. 

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This is all anecdotal. It is not objective evidence backed by empirical data in any way, shape, or form. 

And I wouldn't accuse others of being lazy for not doing research when all you've done is use your personal experience and supposed social relationships to back up your claims. That's not at all how critical thinking works.

As I said before... do I need to show photos from NASA , provide quotes from astronauts,  provide scientific facts that the world is indeed not flat.   Use common sense and spend a few minutes doing research to learn that what Tracker said is an opinion in real bad taste.    If one were to be that out of touch with reality then I'd recommend that they avoid doing the actual research because when they were to learn how policing around the world (Phillipines,  Mexico,  Russia,  China etc...) it would terrify them and they'd probably go insane. 

I guess my own fault would be assuming that everyone who goes online does have common sense and are rational and that is something I need myself to come to grips with. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

As I said before... do I need to show photos from NASA , provide quotes from astronauts,  provide scientific facts that the world is indeed not flat.   Use common sense and spend a few minutes doing research to learn that what Tracker said is an opinion in real bad taste.    If one were to be that out of touch with reality then I'd recommend that they avoid doing the actual research because when they were to learn how policing around the world (Phillipines,  Mexico,  Russia,  China etc...) it would terrify them and they'd probably go insane. 

I guess my own fault would be assuming that everyone who goes online does have common sense and are rational and that is something I need myself to come to grips with. 

More projection. Why you keep bringing up FE really makes no sense. 

Here's some data on policing in Canada: https://angusreid.org/policing-perspectives-canada-rcmp/
Here's more: https://www.macdonaldlaurier.ca/systemic-racism-policing-canada/
And more: https://yellowheadinstitute.org/2020/07/15/police-brutality-in-canada-a-symptom-of-structural-racism-and-colonial-violence/

Three examples that took a few minutes to find.

Again, this is not about comparing ourselves to other countries. Whataboutism serves no purpose here and undermines the discussion at hand. This is about law enforcement in Canada as it relates to marginalized communities, mistreatment or alienation of certain groups, and what systemic issues exist. By identifying them, we can ultimately address and solve them so that members of law enforcement can better serve our communities, be more accountable to the public, and be more trustworthy to those who struggle to trust LEOs based on those issues.

Speaking of opinions in bad taste, you've presented absolutely no credible evidence for yours. That combined with the pointlessly snide commentary does nobody a disservice but you while demonstrating a clear inability to engage in respectful, worthwhile discourse with other members in this thread on a prominent topic in today's social climate.

And FWIW, @Tracker clarified his comments for the sake of the discussion but it doesn't seem like you bothered to acknowledge them.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

If anyone would feel the need for me to quantify my statement then those folks are in need of some serious help to deal with their mental health from being so detached from reality and living in some weird paranoid delusional world.    

If I may paraphrase....

"If you don't see the world as I do you need some serious mental help" 

You see how that statement in itself it batshit insane? How about you both show your work instead of the name calling?

A former Georgia deputy boasted of charging Black people with felonies to make sure they lost their vote

In recent months, as less and less white people support voter suppression and more and more people of color organize around gaining political power, our country has once again reached an inflection point. Republican operatives across the country, long pushing for voter suppression laws that target Black and Latino communities, have decided to be even more overt in their attempts at returning to a pre-Brown v. Board of Education, segregated America, where law enforcement can stop citizens from voting based on their skin color or perceived non-whiteness. The feeble excuse from conservative lawmakers and their handlers is that there is massive voter fraud taking place by Jews and Blacks Democratic demons. Of course, the great con here is that the people pretending that Democrats participate in massive voter fraud are usually the only ones guilty of actual elections fraud.

On Wednesday, a 28-year-old former Georgia sheriff's deputy pleaded guilty to possessing "unregistered firearms resulting from an FBI-led investigation into a violent extremist group," according to the Acting U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia Peter D. Leary. Cody Richard Griggers, an ex-Wilkinson County deputy, was fired in November after the FBI contacted his sheriff about an investigation the agency was conducting on Griggers. U.S. Attorney Leary released a statement saying "Griggers clearly violated his oath with his egregious actions and has no place in law enforcement." But what Griggers did wasn't simply "possess a cache of unregistered weapons, silencers, and a machinegun, keeping many of them in his duty vehicle." An investigation of Griggers by the FBI revealed ties to a group of racist pricks calling themselves "Shadow Moses" or "Shadmo." Griggers' texts and the claims he made in this group, from his position of power in law enforcement at the time, is the real—and frightening—story.

Griggers, a former Marine, is facing up to 10 years in prison for having 11 illegal firearms. But it is the nature of his violent, racist, and antisemitic texts that initially prompted his removal from the police force. According to the Belleville News-Democrat, some of the text threads include Griggers boasting, "I beat the (expletive) out of a (racial slur) Saturday. (Expletive) tried to steal (a gun magazine) from the local gun store. ... Sheriff's dept. said it looked like he fell." According to Wilkinson Sheriff Richard Chatman, who is Black, he had Griggers removed from duty when he was contacted with this information by the FBI. According to Sheriff Chatman, after investigating this claim he believes that Griggers was lying to the group in the text thread, as he could not find any evidence that this had happened. "We don't even have a gun shop here," he said.

And while that is the single silver lining here, Griggers' others statements reveal the true threats posed by white supremacists and our racism-infected law enforcement system. According to the News-Democrat, the affidavit highlighted Griggers' claims to the text thread group that he planned on violating the civil rights and liberties of Georgia's Black citizens, saying that he was planning on just arresting Black folks to trump up charges. "Also I'm going to charge them with whatever felonies I can to take away their ability to vote," he claimed.

A former Georgia deputy boasted of charging Black people with felonies to make sure they lost their vote - Alternet.org

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Apparently GOPer Tim Scott believes Racism has been shoved into a little corner and we should be celebrating this. 

Imagine sitting with people in your own party that hate you because of the colour of your skin? 

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

Imagine sitting with people in your own party that hate you because of the colour of your skin? 

Imagine sitting with people who genuinely believe that the only people you can call racist are the ones who burn crosses and wear hoods.

Anything else is just an opinion. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

And while that is the single silver lining here, Griggers' others statements reveal the true threats posed by white supremacists and our racism-infected law enforcement system.

if you are a hard core racist, who actually believes the replacement crap, what better place is there for you than law enforcement? I mean in america.

get paid to beat up, harass, and even kill your "enemy" with impunity, while having a powerful union, compliant political establishment, and a large percentage of your citizenry , and a popular  media system backing you up no matter what you do.

dream job for some people.

Edited by Mark F

Judge Denies Request to Release Footage of Cops Killing Andrew Brown Jr. Because It Wouldn't Be Fair to Cops Who Killed Andrew Brown Jr. (No, Seriously)

A North Carolina judge has ruled that publicly owned footage of public employees killing a member of the public cannot be released to the public, citing stuff and things. Meanwhile, the district attorney fought the request from a coalition of media outlets by showing exactly why it should be released.

On Wednesday, North Carolina Superior Court Judge Jeffery B. Foster (you might want to remember that name for a few minutes) denied a media lawsuit demanding the release of body camera footage showing Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Department deputies shooting and killing 46-year-old Andrew Brown Jr. in Elizabeth City, N.C., on April 21. Judge Foster did, however, grant a petition allowing Brown’s family and one member of his legal team to privately view the videos of what family attorneys previously described as an “execution.”

During the hearing, District Attorney Andrew Womble disputed that claim with a claim of his own—namely that Brown’s car made contact with the deputies at the scene. Although the sheriff’s office and members of the Brown family’s legal team both told The Root that no law enforcement officers were injured when they riddled Brown’s body with bullets from high-powered weapons as he sat with his hands on the steering wheel, there’s probably no way to clear this up.

Although attorney Chantel Cherry-Lassiter said she didn’t see it happen in the 20-second clip of the incident that she was allowed to watch, Womble insists that Brown’s car moved forward and backward before a cop stopped Brown with a “kill shot” to the back of the head. If only there was some kind of definitive, objective way the two parties could clear up this disagreement. Anyway...

Judge Won't Release Video of Cops Killing Andrew Brown Jr. (theroot.com)

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Judge Denies Request to Release Footage of Cops Killing Andrew Brown Jr. Because It Wouldn't Be Fair to Cops Who Killed Andrew Brown Jr. (No, Seriously)

A North Carolina judge has ruled that publicly owned footage of public employees killing a member of the public cannot be released to the public, citing stuff and things. Meanwhile, the district attorney fought the request from a coalition of media outlets by showing exactly why it should be released.

On Wednesday, North Carolina Superior Court Judge Jeffery B. Foster (you might want to remember that name for a few minutes) denied a media lawsuit demanding the release of body camera footage showing Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Department deputies shooting and killing 46-year-old Andrew Brown Jr. in Elizabeth City, N.C., on April 21. Judge Foster did, however, grant a petition allowing Brown’s family and one member of his legal team to privately view the videos of what family attorneys previously described as an “execution.”

During the hearing, District Attorney Andrew Womble disputed that claim with a claim of his own—namely that Brown’s car made contact with the deputies at the scene. Although the sheriff’s office and members of the Brown family’s legal team both told The Root that no law enforcement officers were injured when they riddled Brown’s body with bullets from high-powered weapons as he sat with his hands on the steering wheel, there’s probably no way to clear this up.

Although attorney Chantel Cherry-Lassiter said she didn’t see it happen in the 20-second clip of the incident that she was allowed to watch, Womble insists that Brown’s car moved forward and backward before a cop stopped Brown with a “kill shot” to the back of the head. If only there was some kind of definitive, objective way the two parties could clear up this disagreement. Anyway...

Judge Won't Release Video of Cops Killing Andrew Brown Jr. (theroot.com)

Summary execution. 

A 'sweet stress relief': DOJ releases info about sheriff's deputy who allegedly bragged about beating Black man

A violent extremist's phone records have led to the discovery of a group chat that included racial epithets and threats from a law enforcement officer.

According to The Washington Post, the man in the group chat labeled himself as "Shadow Moses" but federal investigators later determined that the mystery man was Cody Richard Griggers, a Georgia sheriff's deputy.

In court documents, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said that Griggers "boasted about beating a Black man during an arrest, threatened to falsely charge Black people with felonies so that they could not vote and advocated for killing politicians and others he viewed as political enemies."

On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Justice released a statement about the case involving Griggers. The 28-year-old, who has been terminated from the Wilkinson County Sheriff's Office several months ago, entered a guilty plea on a weapons charge after federal agents confirmed his ties to violent extremists.

The law enforcement agency also noted that federal authorities confiscated a total of 11 unregistered firearms inside his home and in his police patrol vehicle.

"This former law enforcement officer knew that he was breaking the law when he chose to possess a cache of unregistered weapons, silencers and a machine gun, keeping many of them in his duty vehicle," acting U.S. attorney Peter D. Leary said in a statement. "Coupled with his violent racially motivated extreme statements, the defendant has lost the privilege permanently of wearing the blue."

Despite the group chat records where Griggers boasted about his actions, Wilkinson Sheriff Richard Chatman has pushed back against the claims. He reportedly believes Griggers may have fabricated stories about targeting Black people "to impress the other people in the extremist group's chat."

In reference to Griggers' claim about beating a Black man during an arrest, Chatman claims, "That never happened."

However, investigative evidence suggests otherwise. Griggers faces the possibility of up to 10 years behind bars and a $250,000 fine. The Washington Post has also confirmed that he will never be allowed to work in law enforcement again.

A 'sweet stress relief': DOJ releases info about sheriff's deputy who allegedly bragged about beating Black man - Alternet.org

Federal Grand Jury Indicts 4 Ex-Police Officers Involved In George Floyd Death

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted the four former Minneapolis police officers involved in George Floyd’s arrest and death, accusing them of violating the Black man’s constitutional rights as he was restrained face-down on the pavement and gasping for air, according to indictments unsealed Friday.

The three-count indictment names Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao. Specifically, Chauvin, Thao and Kueng are charged with violating Floyd’s right to be free from unreasonable seizure and excessive force. All four officers are charged for their failure to provide Floyd with medical care. Chauvin was also charged in a second indictment, stemming from the arrest and neck restraint of a 14-year-old boy in 2017.

Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J. Kueng appeared via videoconference in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis. Chauvin was not part of the court appearance.

Chauvin was convicted last month on state charges of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death and is in Minnesota’s only maximum-security prison as he awaits sentencing. The other three former officers face a state trial in August, and they are free on bond. They were allowed to remain free after Friday’s federal court appearance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Derek Chauvin gets sentenced today, what kind of a sentence does a cop get for killing someone who happened to be black out in the public, guess we find out shortly

If American justice system history is any indicator, he will get house arrest on weekends for three months.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Derek Chauvin gets sentenced today, what kind of a sentence does a cop get for killing someone who happened to be black out in the public, guess we find out shortly

If it wasn't Minnesota, it would be less than a black woman who voted when she didn't realize she was ineligible.