Travis Rudolph / ALM / BLM

Jpan85

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I remember the movie “Internal Affairs” where Andy Garcia is being introduced into Internal Affairs as the new detective. The superintendent, basically a political hack, welcomes him with a speech about how the rumours about the hatred of cops investigating cops is overblown, how important the work is, how it is a necessary check on police misdeeds, and that this unit has the support and respect of the entire force - that they recognize his role in making the force more accountable and therefore better, an initiative all police believe in. The super leaves and Garcia’s unit sargeant, who stood by quietly while the speech was going on, shakes Garcia’s hand and says “Welcome to IA, you’ve just lost every friend you ever had in the LAPD”. The Blue Wall absolutely exists. Like Noah said, individuals can’t or won’t speak up against the system. 

To underscore your point, here is an article about an officer that was fired in 2008 for stopping another officer from choking a handcuffed suspect:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/buffalo-officer-reinstated-trnd/index.html

"The officer, Cariol Horne, was fired following a 2006 incident in which she tried to stop an officer from using a chokehold on a handcuffed suspect. Horne served on the Buffalo police force for 19 of the 20 years required to receive a pension.
"The message was sent that you don't cross that blue line and so some officers -- many officers don't," Horne said in a 2020 interview with CNN's Brianna Keilar.
"I had five children and I lost everything but [the suspect] did not lose his life," Horne said then. "So, if I have nothing else to live for in life, at least I can know that I did the right thing and that [he] still breathes."

I honestly wonder what would have happened if one of the other officers actually spoke up and forced Chauvin off of Floyd- I suspect that he would have a lot fewer friends in the department and probably reprimanded and would be an outcast... 

Remember in the BLM protest when the police officer shoved the 75 year old man to the ground, fracturing his skull? Another officer went to render aid, was grabbed by the officer and pulled away, and then the assaulting officer told more officers to move along, which they did, all while the old man lay bleeding on the street. Don’t recall if anyone got suspended, fired, or sued as a result. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

20 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Don’t recall if anyone got suspended, fired, or sued as a result. 

That was in Buffalo, the officer got 30 days unpaid suspension and is currently back on the payroll. The victim has recovered and is suing the city, the mayor, and the police. No idea how that will turn out. The body cam footage came out a few weeks ago. Not a good apple that one.

Laura Ingraham Blames Familiar Scapegoat For Cop Killings Of Black People

The Fox News host went there after ex-Officer Kim Potter was charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of Daunte Wright.  Laura Ingraham on Wednesday blamed the news for police killings of Black people. 

The Fox News host deployed her twisted scapegoating after former Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, Officer Kim Potter was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the shooting death of Daunte Wright.

Potter shot Wright during a traffic stop and may have mistakenly thought she was using her Taser, according to her chief, who resigned with Potter two days after the killing. The homicide multiplied tensions from the ongoing murder trial of ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin, who’s accused of killing George Floyd by pressing his knee into Floyd’s neck.

“Young Black men today are being told over and over again by a dominant media, a corporate media, that if you’re pulled over by the police, they’re going to shoot you,” Ingraham declared to guest Allen West, a former House member who is Black and describes himself as a Christian constitutional conservative.

“Are they not ... sending that message to young Black men that you’re gonna be shot if you’re pulled over, so run, run, leave, speed away? And that’s when you have problems,” Ingraham continued. “You had it with George Floyd, who resisted arrest. You had it in this case. It’s some tragic circumstances. It’s horrific, but they’re running away. Maybe for a warrant. But they’re being told they’re gonna be shot no matter what, correct?”

Laura Ingraham Blames Familiar Scapegoat For Cop Killings Of Black People | HuffPost

Footage of cops tackling grandma with dementia is a reminder of what AOC really means by 'defund the police'

The Loveland Police Department in Colorado is facing heightened backlash amid the release of body cam footage showing one of its officers tackling a 73-year-old grandmother with dementia. The harrowing footage also serves as a reminder of what Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez means when advocating for police to be defunded.

According to VICE, a federal civil rights lawsuit has been filed against the Loveland Police Department and three of its officers on behalf of a 73-year-old grandmother named Karen Garner. The lawsuit which details Garner's disturbing arrest also offers a breakdown of her medical condition noting that she suffers from "dementia and sensory aphasia," and has "an inability to understand spoken and written speech."

The bodycam footage shows Garner being approached by Loveland Police Officer Austin Hopp after she was accused of shoplifting from a local Walmart. When Hopp asked Garner why she did not stop walking when he turned on his patrol siren and lights, she only offered a blank stare and an inaudible response.

As she attempted to walk away, the bodycam footage shows Hopp grabbing the 80-pound woman, throwing her down to the ground as he twisted both arms behind her back in what the lawsuit describes as a "painfully upward" position.

Hopp and the officers who assisted him are also said to have "hog-tied her on the side of the road." The tactic is seen as a controversial restraining method that some law enforcement agencies have banned officers from using.

Footage of cops tackling grandma with dementia is a reminder of what AOC really means by 'defund the police' - Alternet.org

Cook County Prosecutor On Leave Over False Statements About Boy Shot By Police
Assistant State Attorney James Murphy appeared to suggest that the boy, Adam Toledo, was still holding a gun as Officer Eric Stillman pulled the trigger, killing him.

CHICAGO (AP) — A prosecutor who implied in court that 13-year-old Adam Toledo was holding a gun the instant he was fatally shot by a Chicago police officer was placed on leave a day after a video showing the boy’s hands were empty was released to the public.

“In court last week, an attorney in our office failed to fully present the facts surrounding the death of a 13-year-old boy,” Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx spokeswoman Sarah Sinovic said in a statement. “We have put that individual on leave and are conducting an internal investigation into the matter.”

Cook County Prosecutor On Leave Over False Statements About Boy Shot By Police | HuffPost

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Footage of cops tackling grandma with dementia is a reminder of what AOC really means by 'defund the police'

The Loveland Police Department in Colorado is facing heightened backlash amid the release of body cam footage showing one of its officers tackling a 73-year-old grandmother with dementia. The harrowing footage also serves as a reminder of what Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez means when advocating for police to be defunded.

According to VICE, a federal civil rights lawsuit has been filed against the Loveland Police Department and three of its officers on behalf of a 73-year-old grandmother named Karen Garner. The lawsuit which details Garner's disturbing arrest also offers a breakdown of her medical condition noting that she suffers from "dementia and sensory aphasia," and has "an inability to understand spoken and written speech."

The bodycam footage shows Garner being approached by Loveland Police Officer Austin Hopp after she was accused of shoplifting from a local Walmart. When Hopp asked Garner why she did not stop walking when he turned on his patrol siren and lights, she only offered a blank stare and an inaudible response.

As she attempted to walk away, the bodycam footage shows Hopp grabbing the 80-pound woman, throwing her down to the ground as he twisted both arms behind her back in what the lawsuit describes as a "painfully upward" position.

Hopp and the officers who assisted him are also said to have "hog-tied her on the side of the road." The tactic is seen as a controversial restraining method that some law enforcement agencies have banned officers from using.

Footage of cops tackling grandma with dementia is a reminder of what AOC really means by 'defund the police' - Alternet.org

Cook County Prosecutor On Leave Over False Statements About Boy Shot By Police
Assistant State Attorney James Murphy appeared to suggest that the boy, Adam Toledo, was still holding a gun as Officer Eric Stillman pulled the trigger, killing him.

CHICAGO (AP) — A prosecutor who implied in court that 13-year-old Adam Toledo was holding a gun the instant he was fatally shot by a Chicago police officer was placed on leave a day after a video showing the boy’s hands were empty was released to the public.

“In court last week, an attorney in our office failed to fully present the facts surrounding the death of a 13-year-old boy,” Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx spokeswoman Sarah Sinovic said in a statement. “We have put that individual on leave and are conducting an internal investigation into the matter.”

Cook County Prosecutor On Leave Over False Statements About Boy Shot By Police | HuffPost

What kind of insecure ******* feels the need to get that physical with an old lady?

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What kind of insecure ******* feels the need to get that physical with an old lady?

A big part of police training is that they are told that when they enter an incident scene, they must immediately take charge and tolerate no questioning or dissent. The "logic" is that if they do not, they will lose control of the situation. "Taking charge" is subject to a large degree of interpretation and is situationally dependent, calling for judgement on the part of the officer. Unfortunately, some police cannot distinguish between minor and major incidents, and many take this attitude home with them, leading to a lot of failed marriages and violence. Police are one of the three professions with the highest domestic violence.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

At an anti-police violence rally, the police double down on police violence. 

The thing is that cop who gives him those unnecessary  shots will remain on the job. At best be scolded not to do that.

Next time he overreacts he may have his gun in hand. A part of what seems to be missing in their training is it is part of their job to NOT react.To NOT  get drawn in . 

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

The thing is that cop who gives him those unnecessary  shots will remain on the job. At best be scolded not to do that.

Next time he overreacts he may have his gun in hand. A part of what seems to be missing in their training is it is part of their job to NOT react.To NOT  get drawn in . 

Power tripping assholes sadly seem to get drawn to police work.

1 minute ago, the watcher said:

They waited until he was secure then jumped him. It was a premeditated attack on an unarmed man. This is not a lack of training but an intentional assault. 

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

They waited until he was secure then jumped him. It was a premeditated attack on an unarmed man. This is not a lack of training but an intentional assault. 

I think their issues rest on  both training and the vetting process ( or lack of it ) in their hiring process.  It also goes hand in hand with the race/ political issues. As I said the biggest problem is I bet he suffers no consequences for the punches. It wouldn't happen if he knew he would be fired over it. There is no accountability.

Edited by the watcher

The one thing you NEVER see in any of these videos is ANY attempt  by the police do descalate or calm things down. It should be there 1st  response. Or at least I think so. Back to the farm lessons lol , If you have wild horse or cow you don't start screaming at it and grabbing it. You talk quietly and calmly to bring it's level down. 

I have a friend who is retired rcmp.

its not straightforward, what a person will do, how they will react, in some of these situations. 

although american police are clearly right out of control.

imagine being an iraqi under American occupation. I have a theory that a lot of  this is American military experiences abroad, now being brought home and inflicted on black and brown in America.

Edited by Mark F

50 minutes ago, the watcher said:

The one thing you NEVER see in any of these videos is ANY attempt  by the police do descalate or calm things down. It should be there 1st  response. Or at least I think so. Back to the farm lessons lol , If you have wild horse or cow you don't start screaming at it and grabbing it. You talk quietly and calmly to bring it's level down. 

To be fair, those videos exist they just don't go viral. We are a rage addicted society.

21 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I have a friend who is retired rcmp.

its not straightforward, what a person will do, how they will react, in some of these situations. 

although american police are clearly right out of control.

imagine being an iraqi under American occupation. I have a theory that a lot of  this is American military experiences abroad, now being brought home and inflicted on black and brown in America.

I was talking about this on the weekend with some family. Everyone is so scared on every side. It's the fearful policing the afraid. No trust on either side. Add in a lack of training and things aren't going to end well more often then they should.

On 2021-04-15 at 12:56 PM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

To underscore your point, here is an article about an officer that was fired in 2008 for stopping another officer from choking a handcuffed suspect:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/buffalo-officer-reinstated-trnd/index.html

"The officer, Cariol Horne, was fired following a 2006 incident in which she tried to stop an officer from using a chokehold on a handcuffed suspect. Horne served on the Buffalo police force for 19 of the 20 years required to receive a pension.
"The message was sent that you don't cross that blue line and so some officers -- many officers don't," Horne said in a 2020 interview with CNN's Brianna Keilar.
"I had five children and I lost everything but [the suspect] did not lose his life," Horne said then. "So, if I have nothing else to live for in life, at least I can know that I did the right thing and that [he] still breathes."

I honestly wonder what would have happened if one of the other officers actually spoke up and forced Chauvin off of Floyd- I suspect that he would have a lot fewer friends in the department and probably reprimanded and would be an outcast... 

Who in their right mind who have good intentions, want to do good, want to protect and serve would want to be a police officer in this day in age?

What kinds of people are being drawn to law enforcement these days?

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Who in their right mind who have good intentions, want to do good, want to protect and serve would want to be a police officer in this day in age?

What kinds of people are being drawn to law enforcement these days?

Most police officers and support still want to do good. Are good people. 

The issue is that "Blue Line", there needs to be systemic change. First off, they need to redivert funds for the police- basically unbundling the police. Take the burden of councilor, social worker and so on, off of policing duties and refocus on where actual police duties need to be. 

here is a great article on "unbundling the police"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/unbundle-police/612913/

“Two questions that could guide the reform movement are ‘What is it that police actually do?’ and ‘Why do we need armed police to do it?’” says Patrick Sharkey, a Princeton sociologist. Sharkey is no police-hating radical. He has worked with commissioners across the country, and his research has shown that targeted policing can be effective in reducing crime, especially in the most violent neighborhoods. But he thinks communities ought to experiment with alternative models to policing. “Police presence can reduce violence, but there are lots of other things that reduce violence, too. Business improvement districts reduce violence. University security organizations reduce violence. It’s possible that relying on police isn’t as necessary as we once thought, and that we might even have safer communities without many of them.”

For some reason I feel that even if he does get convicted, he isn't going to get a long jail sentence 

will there even be a civil suit if he walks? I mean I think Floyd's family now has stock in Disney as well as his daughter have a trust fund or something

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

For some reason I feel that even if he does get convicted, he isn't going to get a long jail sentence 

will there even be a civil suit if he walks? I mean I think Floyd's family now has stock in Disney as well as his daughter have a trust fund or something

Qualified immunity. He can't be sued. Another GOP gift.