vintage CFL on Youtube

johnzo

Tons of vintage CFL games turning up on youtube, like this one from 1995.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it has Milt's first two Bomber TDs in it.  It's his second game and the announcers don't mention if he had a touchdown in his first or not. 

He has a couple funny rookie moments in the game, there's one bit where he and his return partner get all Keystone Kops.

Ugh, those navy helmets, what were they thinking?

Anyone else getting their CFL fix via old games on Youtube?

Edited by johnzo

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

Tons of vintage CFL games turning up on youtube, like this one from 1995.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it has Milt's first two Bomber TDs in it.  It's his second game and the announcers don't mention if he had a touchdown in his first or not. 

He has a couple funny rookie moments in the game, there's one bit where he and his return partner get all Keystone Kops.

Ugh, those navy helmets, what were they thinking?

Anyone else getting their CFL fix via old games on Youtube?

I miss Don Wittman so much.  He was the voice of so many classic Jets and Bomber games from the 80's and 90's...

Just watching the Calgary/Winnipeg 1995 game, a few comments - 

at the 24 minute mark (ish) - Slack throws a pass to Stegall (incomplete).  He takes a hellacious hit to the head from the Calgary player and goes down like a sack of potatoes, but then just gets up after collecting himself on the ground.  Glad to see the game has moved to the point whereby hits like that are flagged etc.  The play doesn't even warrant comment from Don and James Curry who just ignore the horrible hit to Slack's head, other than Curry talks about how CFL QB's get "worn down" by hits like that during a game (lol) and then Don talks about a young Milt Stegall who told the Bomber coaching staff after his debut game in Calgary the week before:  "I am tired and I have a lot to learn".  LOL

55:26 - trademark Whitman calling Baker on a big punt run back -  "look out!!!"

1:34:25 - history is made - Milt's first CFL touchdown.  And Whitman calls it - "intended for Stegall deep...he's got it!!!"  

1:45:25 - Milt's second TD.  He already is showing flashes of being something really special.  Reggie Slack had a weird wind up but he seemed to have a lot of tools, including really good scrambling ability. If I am ever near Navarre Florida I will try and visit his pizza restaurant, if it survived COVID.

5 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Just watching the Calgary/Winnipeg 1995 game, a few comments - 

at the 24 minute mark (ish) - Slack throws a pass to Stegall (incomplete).  He takes a hellacious hit to the head from the Calgary player and goes down like a sack of potatoes, but then just gets up after collecting himself on the ground.  Glad to see the game has moved to the point whereby hits like that are flagged etc.  The play doesn't even warrant comment from Don and James Curry who just ignore the horrible hit to Slack's head, other than Curry talks about how CFL QB's get "worn down" by hits like that during a game (lol) and then Don talks about a young Milt Stegall who told the Bomber coaching staff after his debut game in Calgary the week before:  "I am tired and I have a lot to learn".  LOL

55:26 - trademark Whitman calling Baker on a big punt run back -  "look out!!!"

1:34:25 - history is made - Milt's first CFL touchdown.  And Whitman calls it - "intended for Stegall deep...he's got it!!!"  

1:45:25 - Milt's second TD.  He already is showing flashes of being something really special.  Reggie Slack had a weird wind up but he seemed to have a lot of tools, including really good scrambling ability. If I am ever near Navarre Florida I will try and visit his pizza restaurant, if it survived COVID.

Yeah, I miss Wittman too.  For me, his all-time call is "ELLETT LETS IT GO, SCORES!"

Always liked Slack, it's crazy watching him run and move so well with his bone-on-bone knee.  Wonder how he good he could have been with working hinges.

re: QBs getting worn down, I was watching the 1986 Western Semi, us vs. BC, and both Huff and DeWalt took a ton of hits that would be RTP today.  It was quarterback tee-ball back in those days, QBs getting torpedoed by guys who were 3-4 steps away when the ball was out.

Man, that was a heartbreaker of a game ... Bombers discipline was terrible, Willard Reaves got kicked out of the game, penalties and turnovers killed every bit of momentum we had, Jim Zorn got humbled, and when Huff finally got it going in the fourth, we had no RB1 to bash in the tying touchdown from the four.  But damn, Huff could hurl the ball all over the field. His rainbow throws to Tuttle and Murph in this game are things of beauty.

Edited by johnzo

18 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I miss Don Wittman so much.  He was the voice of so many classic Jets and Bomber games from the 80's and 90's...

I spent a day shadowing him at CBC in 1971. I was in Grade 9 doing a school project. I called him out of the blue, told him about my project & Witt instantly said okay for me to spend the day with him. One of the best days I ever had as a teen. I met all the CBC 24 Hours crew, News anchor Garth Dawley, Meteorologist Murray Parker & interviewers John Harvard & Gerry Haslam. He was a genuinely nice man. Treated me like gold. I got to see how they put together an hour long news show.

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I spent a day shadowing him at CBC in 1971. I was in Grade 9 doing a school project. I called him out of the blue, told him about my project & Witt instantly said okay for me to spend the day with him. One of the best days I ever had as a teen. I met all the CBC 24 Hours crew, News anchor Garth Dawley, Meteorologist Murray Parker & interviewers John Harvard & Gerry Haslam. He was a genuinely nice man. Treated me like gold. I got to see how they put together an hour long news show.

that's such a great story!  I've always heard good things about him.

7 hours ago, johnzo said:

that's such a great story!  I've always heard good things about him.

For awhile, after I saw him I'd call him up just to say hello & we'd chat for a few minutes. He always had the time to talk even though I was interrupting his preparation for his sportscast on tv. As I was living in Calgary, I never went to Don's funeral. I wish l had. 

On 2021-04-07 at 11:32 AM, Noeller said:

Wittman's two best calls, in order: Donovan Bailey's record-breaking sprint in '96 Atlanta Olys and Jennifer Jones In-Off to win the '05 Scotties..... I get shivers to this day, listening to those clips on YouTube

Agreed ,and what about Sandra Shmirler's miracle shot in the Olympics? forget what year that was.....

1 hour ago, Piggy 1 said:

Agreed ,and what about Sandra Shmirler's miracle shot in the Olympics? forget what year that was.....

'97.... good shot, but really a "Poor Man's Version" of the Jones in-off....and I think it was actually the Oly Trials, rather than the Olys themeselves...which, let's face it, is the more difficult competition anyhow, right? **** the Olys...good luck just getting out of this country. 

Edited by Noeller

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

'97.... good shot, but really a "Poor Man's Version" of the Jones in-off....and I think it was actually the Oly Trials, rather than the Olys themeselves...which, let's face it, is the more difficult competition anyhow, right? **** the Olys...good luck just getting out of this country. 

Canada does not always do well on the international level because they're so darn exhausted from just getting out of the country. 

I bet Jones values her Scottie's wins more than her world titles. 

Olympics is another issue due to the rarity of it and the pomp. 

I've always considered the Canadian Olympic Curling Trials to be the most prestigious curling bonspiel there is, and by far the most difficult to win. I know the athletes would likely say the Olympics themselves because, as you said, the pomp of it all, but the Trials is by far the toughest curling bonspiel there is. 

• 1 month later...

I watched in its entirety Game 1 of the Best of 3 1968 Western Final from Regina between the Riders & Stampeders. The Stamps would go on & defeat the Riders to advance to the Grey Cup vs the Ottawa Rough Riders. It was so great to see the heroes of my youth again. Stamps qb Peter Liske throwing darts into a 35 mph (60 kph) wind that day, Flanker Terry Evanshen spraining his ankle on a touchdown score, refusing to come out & gutting it out the rest of the way, He was interviewed by sideline reporter that day Don Wittman. He told Witt that "nothing will keep me out of this game." Rudy Linterman returning punts like a warrior with no blocking. On the Riders George Reed & Ron Lancaster along with halfback Silas McKinney, receivers Gordie Barwell, Al Ford & DT Ed McQuarters. Thoroughly enjoyed watching that game & seeing all those players again..

The other thing I enjoyed were the commercials. You know how we're subjected to one commercial playing over & over driving us all insane on TSN's coverage of the CFL? Back then, the major sponsors were Canadian Pacific, Labatts & GM. Not one commercial that day was repeated. Canadian Pacific especially. They sponsored the first half of the game & they had commercials about their refrigerated rail cars shipping frozen meat to suppliers & customers across the country, CP Hotels, CP Air flying across Canada as well as Asia & Europe, shipping ore from mining operations, CP taking cargo all over the world by container ships, CP Trucking, Passenger Rail service across Canada, CP Freight trains, CP Telecommunications like Telex, Broadband & a commercial how they move rail traffic across canada through their network of rail traffic control centres.

Labatts had their song, "When you're smiling, say Labatt's Blue". GM introduced their lineup of new cars for 1968 including the Beaumont & others. It's strange to say this today as we all hate the same commercials repeated endlessly during games today but those old ones were all really well done.

I was disappointed in CBC's Don Chevrier. He didn't have a great day describing the play. He got players wrong more than once. On one play he said that Stamps MLB Wayne Harris #55 had knocked the ball down from a Saskatchewan receiver when in reality it was corner Frank Andruski #24 for the Stamps. Harris was nowhere near the play so I have no idea how he came up with that.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2021-04-07 at 2:45 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

This sounds so much better than my "Take your kid to work day" at school. My mom is an optometrist. I had to tighten and clean all the glasses on one showcase wall. Finished that in about an hour. Next task? "Okay...uh... now do the other wall".

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

This sounds so much better than my "Take your kid to work day" at school. My mom is an optometrist. I had to tighten and clean all the glasses on one showcase wall. Finished that in about an hour. Next task? "Okay...uh... now do the other wall".

So... You're mom is on these boards as Maternal Optometrist?

...I'll see myself out.