Game 39: Ottawa

iHeart

I shake my fist at Chevy and Jarmo for not getting this deal done prior to training camp. 

What a waste it's been on all three players to start the season (not Roslo) but then get moved a few games in, having to sit due to Covid quarantine and then having to work it out on the go.

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

I shake my fist at Chevy and Jarmo for not getting this deal done prior to training camp. 

What a waste it's been on all three players to start the season (not Roslo) but then get moved a few games in, having to sit due to Covid quarantine and then having to work it out on the go.

Jets were not serious about moving Laine until the season had started. All the off-season stuff was just media stirring the pot. Chevy listened to offers but nothing decent came up until Dubois went public with wanting out on January 3. It was only after Torts benched him that it became a real possibility. So this was never really at the forefront until the season was underway. Agree it would have been better to have happened earlier, but was not something that was brewing until the season started. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thought he was faster then 55 but 55's speed has been crazy fast lately if anyone noticed.

And now the numbers...

Laine 31 games 9 goals 8 assists 17pts -12

Dubois 29 games 9 goals 8 assists 17pts -3

Roslovic 32 games 6 goals 16 assists 22pts -6

Appleton(Roslo's replacement) 39 games 9 goals 10 assists 19pts +8

You also have to account Ehlers here. Ehlers doesn't have to shy away from shooting anymore. Before he need to baby his old pal's confidence and pass a little more pucks to him. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Jets were not serious about moving Laine until the season had started. All the off-season stuff was just media stirring the pot. Chevy listened to offers but nothing decent came up until Dubois went public with wanting out on January 3. It was only after Torts benched him that it became a real possibility. So this was never really at the forefront until the season was underway. Agree it would have been better to have happened earlier, but was not something that was brewing until the season started. 

imagine having a crystal ball and Chevy drafting Dubois over Laine in 2016.  He might have gotten fired for it but here we are...

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Jets were not serious about moving Laine until the season had started. All the off-season stuff was just media stirring the pot.

Oh it was not the media...In October, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reported Laine's agents, Mike Liut and Andy Scott, believed it "probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and the team if Patrik Laine is traded." LeBrun added that there was "clear communication" between the winger's camp and Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff about the matter.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Oh it was not the media...In October, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reported Laine's agents, Mike Liut and Andy Scott, believed it "probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and the team if Patrik Laine is traded." LeBrun added that there was "clear communication" between the winger's camp and Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff about the matter.

I wonder if those two (Liut and Scott) are still sticking to that story.  Laine sure drove me nuts sometimes but I do miss that guy's goal scoring.  We sure could have used him in that shoot-out against TO the other night...

The grass is always greener on the other side.  Not.

Here - Laine was operating with skill players around him, in a hockey crazy market.....and had (despite, what some Laine supporters may think) a coach widely perceived around the league as a "players" coach.

Now - Hardly any skill around, in a D orientated system, and living with Torts.

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not in arbitration(this year). He's only averaging 20g this season. No arbitrator gonna award 6m+ for that.

Yeah, it really has me wondering if Laine is regretting his choice of agent(s). He won't be getting the payday he probably wanted going into the season.

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, it really has me wondering if Laine is regretting his choice of agent(s). He won't be getting the payday he probably wanted going into the season.

Per arbitration rules, if Laine goes back into arbitration, his minimum salary has to be the lesser of his final season salary ($7.5 million plus bonuses) or 120% of the AAV of his last contract (which works out to $8.1 million) and that will get him two years locked in at most. And that is the qualifying offer the club MUST make to retain his rights, he could sign for more. And if they want to avoid arbitration and get him into a long term deal (max. 8 years, which would get him to age 30) they will have to pay through the nose to make him give up 6 years of free agency. I can easily see him getting an 8 figure salary if they go long term.