CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment

JCon

16 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

What are you guys saying the league should do about 1 years contracts? Mandatory 2 minimum length contracts? Banning 1 year contracts? What about 1 year extensions? Risky....

We won't be able to attract the players that are willing to come 'test the waters' on 1 year contracts or try to show off their talents for an NFL shot. Pretending the league has all this leverage is silly. We need the players, and the players want the option to sign 1 year deals. You know what happens when the CFL starts to dictate minimum length contracts and maximum earning potential? Players won't even bother. TJ Jones, anyone?

Two year deals won't stop players from signing. Where else they gonna go? This trying to please some rookie American players has sure helped the CFL out, hasn't it? Allowing players under contract a window of opportunity sucks as well. The CFL treats its fans like crap & see where we're at now. 

Am I the only one that is driven mad by the idea that the CFL will likely die a death this disheartening and tragic?

Over 100 years of history and tradition and its being thrown around like it's no big deal. I can't come around to it no matter how unbiased or reasonable I  try to be 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Two year deals won't stop players from signing. Where else they gonna go?

Home? It already happened with TJ Jones, an instant National star the league would have loved to have. There is life after football, even for guy's that didn't spend a couple seasons in the NFL. Rumor has it a lot of these guys went to college. Like it or not the CFL is the 'last chance league' for many Americans and if we want them to come play we need to give them what entices them to come North. What you're really mad about it players being given the best chance they can get to make money (the whole reason they are here, not out of the kindness of their hearts but or their burning desire for the game, its a business, you know this)

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The CFL treats its fans like crap & see where we're at now. 

The pandemic probably has a more to do with where we are at right now than player movement does.

On 2021-03-28 at 7:10 AM, MOBomberFan said:

Home? It already happened with TJ Jones, an instant National star the league would have loved to have. There is life after football, even for guy's that didn't spend a couple seasons in the NFL. Rumor has it a lot of these guys went to college. Like it or not the CFL is the 'last chance league' for many Americans and if we want them to come play we need to give them what entices them to come North. What you're really mad about it players being given the best chance they can get to make money (the whole reason they are here, not out of the kindness of their hearts but or their burning desire for the game, its a business, you know this)

The pandemic probably has a more to do with where we are at right now than player movement does.

One year deals were in place before the pandemic. Fans were complaining they didn't relate or identify some of the players on their teams. Fans on every team were disengaging. The CFL knew fans didn't like these contracts & ignored everyone. This was in play before the pandemic.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

To my understanding, players negotiated the one-year contract into the last CBA. It replaced the NFL release window they had and allowed the owners to keep the “non-guaranteed contracts” which they really wanted. Given the choice between not locking in players long term and having to pay overpriced vets for an entire year instead of cutting them loose before Labour Day and getting to walk away from a bad contract scot-free, owners chose to keep the money-saving option. 

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

To my understanding, players negotiated the one-year contract into the last CBA. It replaced the NFL release window they had and allowed the owners to keep the “non-guaranteed contracts” which they really wanted. Given the choice between not locking in players long term and having to pay overpriced vets for an entire year instead of cutting them loose before Labour Day and getting to walk away from a bad contract scot-free, owners chose to keep the money-saving option. 

CFL fans reaction:

tenor.gif

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

CFL fans reaction:

tenor.gif

I think its long time that cfl veteran deals be guaranteed. And that teams (argos cough cough) are responsible if they spend like wild then under achieve. 

Perhaps a partial guarantee system like once they pass physical they are 1/3 locked in, once they make the regular season roster they are 2/3 locked in and at LD ish they are 100% locked in. 

Im not sure year plus the option is a great solution, but Idk what would be better either.  

We just can't match the money that they can make down south. I wish we could find a way to allow them opportunities and still give them multi-year deals. 

But, I can't blame the players for wanting these deals. All deals are effectively one-year deals to the teams, anyhow. The players need some leverage. 

Just now, JCon said:

We just can't match the money that they can make down south. I wish we could find a way to allow them opportunities and still give them multi-year deals. 

But, I can't blame the players for wanting these deals. All deals are effectively one-year deals to the teams, anyhow. The players need some leverage. 

I think the yearly option window for veterans is fair. So if a CFL vet is on a 3 year deal and after 1 year has an NFL team willing to sign them, not a tc invite but a deal, they should be free to go. But then have the remainder of their CFL deal converted to option years. So for the next 2 years they would come back to the same team if they return, but then the deal would be 1 year here then a FA again. I think in the last CBA some thing along those lines was talked about. It sucks to lose stars, but every time a guy goes from the cfl to the nfl the door for young americans coming to the cfl opens wider. Itd be nice if that included a buy out bonus for the cfl team paid by the nfl team too. Same as happens in un affiliated baseball. 

Cant blame them at all for wanting to be closer to home, pay less taxes and make more money. Not to mention the NFL pension is nothing to sneeze at. 

45 minutes ago, JCon said:

The only way to stop these deals is to completely disallow them & go to restricted free agency.  The league is going down because the owners & players are ******* morons. Take care of your fans first. Make them feel engaged again & let them get to know their players like they used to. Stop trying to please some hot shot rookie running back from Arkansas who has NFL dreams only. **** him if he doesn't want to sign a two or 3 year deal. And **** players like Henoc Muamba that could care less if they play on a winner or a loser as long as they get the money they want. Guys like Adam Bighill sacrificed while Muamba wants more. The CFL can continue to be run badly or make painful & hard decisions on player movements. If the players don't like it then they can retire. That's my take anyway. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

36 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think the yearly option window for veterans is fair. So if a CFL vet is on a 3 year deal and after 1 year has an NFL team willing to sign them, not a tc invite but a deal, they should be free to go. But then have the remainder of their CFL deal converted to option years. So for the next 2 years they would come back to the same team if they return, but then the deal would be 1 year here then a FA again. I think in the last CBA some thing along those lines was talked about. It sucks to lose stars, but every time a guy goes from the cfl to the nfl the door for young americans coming to the cfl opens wider. Itd be nice if that included a buy out bonus for the cfl team paid by the nfl team too. Same as happens in un affiliated baseball. 

Cant blame them at all for wanting to be closer to home, pay less taxes and make more money. Not to mention the NFL pension is nothing to sneeze at. 

Well, you can't blame them but... that is what is bringing the CFL down. Wholesale player movement & 1 year deals. Unless the NFL is ready to invest a ton of money into the CFL then I say no to these 1 year deals. We (CFL) play the nice guy & look what is happening. The NFL gets a player for nothing even though a CFL team spent its resources developing them. I'd like to see when they sign a contract then they're locked in. Get rid of these incredibly stupid 1 year deals & UFA. Make sure the players understand that once they sign a CFL contract they are locked in for that time period. Yeah, the players won't like it but so what? If things continue the way they are there won't be a CFL for them to play in. 

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The only way to stop these deals is to completely disallow them & go to restricted free agency.  The league is going down because the owners & players are ******* morons. Take care of your fans first. Make them feel engaged again & let them get to know their players like they used to. Stop trying to please some hot shot rookie running back from Arkansas who has NFL dreams only. **** him if he doesn't want to sign a two or 3 year deal. And **** players like Henoc Muamba that could care less if they play on a winner or a loser as long as they get the money they want. Guys like Adam Bighill sacrificed while Muamba wants more. The CFL can continue to be run badly or make painful & hard decisions on player movements. If the players don't like it then they can retire. 

Both sides need to agree. It's an easy one for the CFL to give up, when they don't have more money to spend. Give the players these concessions and save money on the bottom line. 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Both sides need to agree. It's an easy one for the CFL to give up, when they don't have more money to spend. Give the players these concessions and save money on the bottom line. 

The CFL needs to honour bonuses. Our idiot Commissioner seems to think that they aren't important. He made sure players didn't get paid these bonuses during the last CBA negotiations. And teams cut veterans days before a bonus is due. Bite the bullet & pay it for crissakes. Get rid of the 1 year deals & UFA. Only players with a certain number of years in as players & when they reach a certain age get to become UFA's, 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

One thing that a merger (or whatever it is) will do, will be to introduce alternate media coverage.

I think TSN has been a good partner for the CFL; however, I do not think the exclusive relationship has produced the best possible situation. The competition in the US, over the NFL, has created better and better broadcasts and coverage. I don't think we've benefitted from that up here without competition. I think TSN could use some competition! 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

One thing that a merger (or whatever it is) will do, will be to introduce alternate media coverage.

I think TSN has been a good partner for the CFL; however, I do not think the exclusive relationship has produced the best possible situation. The competition in the US, over the NFL, has created better and better broadcasts and coverage. I don't we've benefitted from that up here without competition. I think TSN could use some competition! 

I've been saying that for years. The CBC would be a natural choice for the CFL as they've lost the NHL. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I've been saying that for years. The CBC would be a natural choice for the CFL as they've lost the NHL. 

I'd love to see this.

Then bring back Chris Walby dressed in an undersized old school blue CBC jacket with his signature fingers wrapped around a CFL microphone. 

46 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

They didn't cover until Labour Day and that was in the 1990s, well before the end. I personally don't think they did a good job, nor do I see them wanting to broadcast pro sports.

That was then. Things change. I don't know if Global would televise any games as they don't do sports either. CTV has the NFL. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Sportsnet despite mighty dork had some great camera work compared to the same era of tsn. Prime ages of cbc they had a great panel. Currently the TSN group is very long in the tooth and could use new blood. 

Agreed. if there was competition most of the TSN broadcast crews would be gone & replaced with fresher faces. But they have a monopoly so things will never change. 

I don't buy any of this stuff about the TSN panel. You need former players who are young enough to not seem super old, but old enough to have played the game at a high level and therefore have expertise. And on top of that, they need to be good speakers... Good communicators. Exactly how long a list do you think it is that checks off those boxes?? Trust me, it's a short list. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't buy any of this stuff about the TSN panel. You need former players who are young enough to not seem super old, but old enough to have played the game at a high level and therefore have expertise. And on top of that, they need to be good speakers... Good communicators. Exactly how long a list do you think it is that checks off those boxes?? Trust me, it's a short list. 

I've no issue with the TSN panel but I sure do with their broadcast crews. Now with Chris Cuthbert gone they haven't one outstanding broadcaster in the bunch. They're all terrible to me. That's the problem with TSN. They could do so much more to attract younger viewers but they don't want to. They have the same people doing the games. The broadcasts are the same. Nothing changes because they don't have to change without competition. TSN thinks TNF is somehow cool showing rotten Canadian bands at halftime.  The broadcasts are not cool.