CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment

JCon

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Exactly! I haven't listened to the Doug Brown clip, but did he offer any alternative solutions? I haven't really heard any viable solutions from anyone who is vehemently on the anti-XFL talk side. 

If the solution is continue business as usual, my response is ...

I dunno maybe find investors from Canada might be a good start,  maybe Ambrosie had been to busy visiting places in Europe during his reign pre COVID to focus his time on keeping it Canadian.      

My guess is that next he'll try to convince players in getting paid in Doge Coin or NFT art because he's lazy and read an article about get rich quick with the latest flash in the pan schemes.   

If Ambrosie is going to give up then why not approach Vince McMahon who has way more cash then The Rock,  he wanted to buy the league before and has owned 2 XFL promotions over the Rock only owning 1. 

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

What difference does it make if the CFL's been around "forever" if they have no money? Tradition means nothing. That's like saying an old homeless man is better than a young one because he was born earlier. If you're broke then you're broke. Young or old. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I dunno maybe find investors from Canada might be a good start,  maybe Ambrosie had been to busy visiting places in Europe during his reign pre COVID to focus his time on keeping it Canadian.      

My guess is that next he'll try to convince players in getting paid in Doge Coin or NFT art because he's lazy and read an article about get rich quick with the latest flash in the pan schemes.   

If Ambrosie is going to give up then why not approach Vince McMahon who has way more cash then The Rock,  he wanted to buy the league before and has owned 2 XFL promotions over the Rock only owning 1. 

OMG!! Why didn't anyone else think of that!!??!!!

21 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Anyone still think that Redbird Capital  owners of the XFL approached the CFL??? I don't think so. This is why the CFL needs the XFL far more than the other way around. Check this deal out.

RedBird Capital Acquiring Ten Percent of Fenway Sports Group for $750 Million (yahoo.com)

But someone on here said that XFL doesn't have money because "Vince has way more money than The Rock"......LOL! Of all the ******* things...

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

That would be ideal, I just don't think it will ever happen. We have to remember, Ambrosie is not going rogue on this. He's following the wishes of the owners. I would think every private owner in the CFL is open to some $$$ from the Rock. They were losing money before COVID. Lawless said on Peterson's podcast that the Montreal owners basically bought the team with the intention of the CFL looking for other avenues to increase revenue. 

To be clear, I love the CFL! I just am facing the reality that we are in now, and have been in for a while. The CFL is in trouble financially. Pre COVID I was thinking it was only a matter of time before the CFL would have to look at some type of single ownership model to survive. Didn't predict it may be with the People's Champ though. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

OMG!! Why didn't anyone else think of that!!??!!!

What has he done or what headlines or initiatives outside of trying to expand to Moncton has he done in regards with Canadian investors.  I guess the bumbling of the Alouettes and screwing that up as well would be a 2nd failed thing he's attempted.  

And how has he done compared to guys before,  the only headlines he's made is trying to extend to Mexico, Europe and now the States with zero success.   He's been by far the biggest failure in the last 30 years of all the different CFL commissioners.  It's unfortunate that during the largest crisis that the CFL was stuck with the worst leader they have had.  

As I said before... it's sad that a rinky dink league with teams like the Goldeyes can get their **** in order while Ambrosie is praying and hoping that they can sell the league to Americans for a quick buck.    His arrogance and lazyness completely torpedoed any chance of help from the feds and now he's in desperation mode.   

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

But someone on here said that XFL doesn't have money because "Vince has way more money than The Rock"......LOL! Of all the ******* things...

Vince and his investors had more money before the failed senate run and 2 attempts at the XFL. 

Also investing in a group like FSB is just that. Long term thats almost as safe as investing in a hedge fund. And right now, is the lowest time in probably close to a century to buy into that group. That was just a brilliant long term money making move. Redbird has drastically better money making iq than vince. The problem with that is Vince has no problem dropping half of his net worth on pipe dreams. Redbird would cut loses much much sooner. 

But to be devils advocate, vince is still worth some 2.1 Billion. While the rock is worth 320m.  But redbird has about 25-50% more money invested in various parts of the market as vince is worth. 

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

What has he done or what headlines or initiatives outside of trying to expand to Moncton has he done in regards with Canadian investors.  I guess the bumbling of the Alouettes and screwing that up as well would be a 2nd failed thing he's attempted.  

And how has he done compared to guys before,  the only headlines he's made is trying to extend to Mexico, Europe and now the States with zero success.   He's been by far the biggest failure in the last 30 years of all the different CFL commissioners.  It's unfortunate that during the largest crisis that the CFL was stuck with the worst leader they have had.  

As I said before... it's sad that a rinky dink league with teams like the Goldeyes can get their **** in order while Ambrosie is praying and hoping that they can sell the league to Americans for a quick buck.    His arrogance and lazyness completely torpedoed any chance of help from the feds and now he's in desperation mode.   

The Goldeyes had to go play an entire season in the States. Where most states they played in had little to no public health orders (North Dakota, South Dakota ect.) Not sure how they are similar. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

He sold some tee shirts after the race riot in Charlotte. And the Colin Kaepernick banning. Took advantage of both situations which really turned me off of the guy. Especially when that BLM protestor was killed. He mocked the NFL saying our league was more diverse. Well, how's it worked for him since?

What about playing regular CFL games down south for the 2021 season and just televising them back home? XFL is out of the picture this season. But CFL needs gate revenue. How can that happen when COVID restrictions are so tight and patchwork across Canada? So Bombers and CFLs other teams play in XFL stadiums this season in front of US fans. That way they can earn some ticket money at the gate as it would be a novelty for American football fans who aren't so COVID shy/restricted. I'd be OK with that. Of course I'd prefer to be sitting at IGF but somehow I don't think it'll happen this year - and so CFL plays 2021 season - just not in the usual places.

5 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

What about playing regular CFL games down south for the 2021 season and just televising them back home? XFL is out of the picture this season. But CFL needs gate revenue. How can that happen when COVID restrictions are so tight and patchwork across Canada? So Bombers and CFLs other teams play in XFL stadiums this season in front of US fans. That way they can earn some ticket money at the gate as it would be a novelty for American football fans who aren't so COVID shy/restricted. I'd be OK with that. Of course I'd prefer to be sitting at IGF but somehow I don't think it'll happen this year - and so CFL plays 2021 season - just not in the usual places.

Why would anyone in the US go watch these games? 

2 hours ago, Doublezero said:

This is how many fans would show up if the Bombers played the Stampeders in the US,,, It also shows you why 3 down football on an NFL sized field would never work. Why 4 down football with the smaller field is the only alternative. Right, Colin Unger? They can't add 5-8 yards to the width of the field like you suggested. 

See the source image

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I really can't see Mr. Trudeau giving the league help. It just optically doesn't look good for politicians to help things perceived as non-essential like sports.

I'm not saying I agree with that logic, just that I can see how it doesn't look good from a political perspective.

Considering he gave big American companies 50 - 100 million dollars freely and dropped a billion dollars to Syria... I don't think it would of killed him to give 50 million + to the CFL.  

Working at various federal Gov't jobs in my career...  50 million is a drop in the bucket.  I've worked on unnecessary projects that have been given 10 - 15 million dollars that ended up going down the toilet because of the lamest of things (usually egos /  hurt feelings).   The Feds EASILY can give the money. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Considering he gave big American companies 50 - 100 million dollars freely and dropped a billion dollars to Syria... I don't think it would of killed him to give 50 million + to the CFL.  

Working at various federal Gov't jobs in my career...  50 million is a drop in the bucket.  I've worked on unnecessary projects that have been given 10 - 15 million dollars that ended up going down the toilet because of the lamest of things (usually egos /  hurt feelings).   The Feds EASILY can give the money. 

CFL can’t afford to donate money to campaign contributions and kickback some of those funds.