CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment

JCon

45 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Didn't Cuthbert make a name for himself in the 80's when during a CBC HNIC broadcast there was a power failure & as host he had to wing it for awhile n the semi darkness??? Apparently that catapulted his career. 

Don’t remember that, but remember TSN losing their feed during the Gold medal shootout vs Finland in the 1994 World Hockey Championships, and the studio host (I think it was Gord Miller, but it might have been Paul Romanuk) having to do play-by-play from the desk into the camera while watching live on an in-studio monitor, basically like watching someone do a radio broadcast, and was good enough to launch their play-by-play TV broadcast career.  

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Players sign one year deals now in the CFL. Player continuity will not get worse if you switch to 4 down football. Not sure how those two things are related. But to each their own. I can only speak for myself and say given the choice of no football or Blue Bombers with modified rules, I will happily take the latter. 
Besides, who says the XFL doesn’t take our rules? They ditched the fair catch for the 5 years halo and added 2 point converts when the NFL and US colleges did not have it, did they not?

Your point about the one year contract is totally on point. Only a very few players actually live in the city they play because they move so much from team to team. 

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Don’t remember that, but remember TSN losing their feed during the Gold medal shootout vs Finland in the 1994 World Hockey Championships, and the studio host (I think it was Gord Miller, but it might have been Paul Romanuk) having to do play-by-play from the desk into the camera while watching live on an in-studio monitor, basically like watching someone do a radio broadcast, and was good enough to launch their play-by-play TV broadcast career.  

Yeah, if they can handle adversity that goe s a long way to helping their careers advance. What happened to Paul Romanuk? 

30 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

You're close, but it was Cuthbert on CBC during a playoff game in Calgary in.... I believe 1986..... Otherwise your version is exactly what happened. 

49 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Players sign one year deals now in the CFL. Player continuity will not get worse if you switch to 4 down football. Not sure how those two things are related.

The American teams will be coming and going every season which would result in dispersal drafts constantly.  Also as said before do you think if we get a guy who starts to prosper that he wouldn't take equal or more money to live down South near his friends and family?  

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So where is the doesn't like the CFL aspect of that? 

Like I said, wanting to call NHL is a hell of a lot different.

The way i view it he wasn't loyal enough to stay with CFL and now we have been stuck with a subpar broadcast quality.  I look forward to watching NBC broadcasts of some cfl games in 2022.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

The way i view it he wasn't loyal enough to stay with CFL and now we have been stuck with a subpar broadcast quality.  I look forward to watching NBC broadcasts of some cfl games in 2022.

Imagine resenting someone for wanting to make their own choices with their career

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Imagine resenting someone for wanting to make their own choices with their career

No kidding. Loyal to the CFL? Come on. He is a broadcaster and the NHL was where he really made his mark. He is doing what is best for his career. Simple as that. 

And as great as Cuthbert is the onus falls on TSN to replace him. There are good broadcasters out there, find one.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Henoc Muamba ever makes the CFHOF what team would he go in as?

Free agent

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No kidding. Loyal to the CFL? Come on. He is a broadcaster and the NHL was where he really made his mark. He is doing what is best for his career. Simple as that. 

And as great as Cuthbert is the onus falls on TSN to replace him. There are good broadcasters out there, find one.

Also...maybe TSN is shitty to work for? Seems like we've had an example of that recently...not wanting to work for TSN doesn't mean he didn't want to cover the CFL. 

6 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I don't get your point. He wanted to get back into calling NHL games. It was a career move. What about Dave Randorf? Gord Miller?? James Duthie??? They left the CFL broadcasts for other assignments. Does that make them disloyal, too??

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Let's hope it doesn't mean Rod Black calls the Grey Cup. Gawd!!!

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I'd imagine Henoc and Kevin Glenn will go in with a grandma's blanket like jersey which has little patches from each team on it.  

Cuthbert... is someone suggesting going from minor league to major league means they hated the minor league?  Do the folks on here not realize how much more money play by play games make in the NHL?  Not to mention if they were to go from Sportsnet to the States to one of the bigger brodcast stations?  Some of those guys make life changing money down south.  

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd imagine Henoc and Kevin Glenn will go in with a grandma's blanket like jersey which has little patches from each team on it.  

Cuthbert... is someone suggesting going from minor league to major league means they hated the minor league?  Do the folks on here not realize how much more money play by play games make in the NHL?  Not to mention if they were to go from Sportsnet to the States to one of the bigger brodcast stations?  Some of those guys make life changing money down south.  

Muamba will never win a championship. He plays for money only. No loyalty to anyone. He never sticks it out. He doesn't play to actually help a team win a championship. As soon as his contract is up he's gone. If he happens to sign with a team that does then it's only because his timing was good. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Henoc Muamba ever makes the CFHOF what team would he go in as?

He would go on a tour of the cities he played for, get wined an dined and settle on the best offer. 

He has hof talent athleticism but I feel like he still hasnt fulfilled his potential.  He shown flashes of being a dynamic play maker, some one you have to plan for. But mostly I feel hes a guy the defense funnels to and makes tackles in the box.  In their prime great front 7 players draw the offenses attention on every play. You have to know where WJ is lined up and what look hes showing. The great MLBers are the same, 

He gets in on the back end of plays and covers more ground than a lot of NI mlbers. But he doesnt reek havoc in the back field, doesnt change or attack passing lanes particularly well etc. Hes the guy who comes up with the stop, not the guy who snuffs the play out before damage is done.

I feel like he can play another 5 years at the level he does now, and maybe his best seasons are still in front of him. The value of what he brings as an NI ratio breaker who is pretty sure handed with his tackling is very high. But idk if hes a HOFer. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He would go on a tour of the cities he played for, get wined an dined and settle on the best offer. 

He has hof talent athleticism but I feel like he still hasnt fulfilled his potential.  He shown flashes of being a dynamic play maker, some one you have to plan for. But mostly I feel hes a guy the defense funnels to and makes tackles in the box.  In their prime great front 7 players draw the offenses attention on every play. You have to know where WJ is lined up and what look hes showing. The great MLBers are the same, 

He gets in on the back end of plays and covers more ground than a lot of NI mlbers. But he doesnt reek havoc in the back field, doesnt change or attack passing lanes particularly well etc. Hes the guy who comes up with the stop, not the guy who snuffs the play out before damage is done.

I feel like he can play another 5 years at the level he does now, and maybe his best seasons are still in front of him. The value of what he brings as an NI ratio breaker who is pretty sure handed with his tackling is very high. But idk if hes a HOFer. 

No, my comment was more of a joke than anything. We had a poster here (forget who) that said the problem with XFL rosters will be the turnover of players every year & the first player I thought of was Muamba. he's the epitomne of what is wrong with the CFL. And how neither the owners or players want to fix it. UFA's sign their 1 year deals & then move on. They know that's a problem for fans & yet the league & players seem blissfully unaware of the problems it causes so like most problems with the CFL, there is no leadership or will to fix it. And that is why the CFL is where it's at today shedding fans like a bird when it loses its feathers. I see it as a total lack of respect shown by the league & its players towards us... the fans. The ones that pay the freight thru ticket sales & merchandising. They don't care. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, my comment was more of a joke than anything. We had a poster here (forget who) that said the problem with XFL rosters will be the turnover of players every year & the first player I thought of was Muamba. he's the epitomne of what is wrong with the CFL. And how neither the owners or players want to fix it. UFA's sign their 1 year deals & then move on. They know that's a problem for fans & yet the league & players seem blissfully unaware of the problems it causes so like most problems with the CFL, there is no leadership or will to fix it. And that is why the CFL is where it's at today shedding fans like a bird when it loses its feathers. I see it as a total lack of respect shown by the league & its players towards us... the fans. The ones that pay the freight thru ticket sales & merchandising. They don't care. 

I know, I just think its an interesting talking point. Id trade my vaccination shot (when ever it comes) for some not XFL, not end of days cfl football talk.