CFL/XFL Exploring Alignment

JCon

24 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Impossible! This is all Ambrosie!! No one else!!

Exactly. This is all his fault. If only we had a real leader like Wade Miller running this league who.....wait, Wade has said this could be a good idea? I’m so conflicted now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7688348/cfl-xfl-talks-winnipeg-blue-bombers-reaction/amp/

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Exactly. This is all his fault. If only we had a real leader like Wade Miller running this league who.....wait, Wade has said this could be a good idea? I’m so conflicted now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7688348/cfl-xfl-talks-winnipeg-blue-bombers-reaction/amp/

I blame Trudeau for not stepping to the plate and saving Canadian Culture after regulating them into bankruptcy. 

This is typical american content.  Zero research and just spewing some opinions.  Apparently The Rock played for Saskatoon and is buying the CFL lol 

Some interesting thoughts from Chris Cuthbert....

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/12/long-time-cfl-play-by-play-man-chris-cuthbert-worries-xfl-talks-are-a-deal-with-the-devil/

For 16 years, Chris Cuthbert was the voice that soothed CFL fans.

The league’s announcement on Wednesday that it is seeking opportunities for collaboration and innovation with the XFL has that voice wracked with worry.

“I’m still concerned that this is potentially a deal with the devil,” Cuthbert told Scott Rintoul on Sportsnet 650 in Vancouver.

“My concern level is extremely high, but I guess if you’re asking me 48 hours later, I am open to hearing what the benefits might be.”

The veteran play-by-play man who left TSN in 2020 in order to continue calling NHL games remains a passionate fan of the three-down game and while he’s trying to remain open-minded, Cuthbert sees some of the speculation surrounding a merger of the two leagues as almost sacrilegious.

“There’s some elements that are non-negotiable and that’s obvious from a Canadian football standpoint. The most important word in the Canadian Football League is Canadian. To me, it’s essential. It’s three downs,” he emphasized.

“I guess a hybrid size field that’s bigger than an NFL field and slightly different than a CFL field is somewhat palatable, but for the most part, I think the uniqueness of the game is what’s kept it alive. For many of us, it’s why we love it so much.”

Also potentially on the chopping block is the Canadian ratio, a particular hot button for Cuthbert’s long-time broadcast partner Glen Suitor. Cuthbert has seen some suggestion that it would be maintained in some form for a merged league but doesn’t believe it’s possible.

“I could see a ratio of X number of Canadians on the Canadian teams and international players on an XFL team, but from what I understand the labour laws in the States will not allow any ratio of any kind,” Cuthbert said.

The ratio wasn’t applied to US teams during the league’s ill-fated American expansion in the 1990s and while some have noted that the financial boost from new franchises helped stabilized the CFL, Cuthbert insists that road is one best left firmly in the past.

“We could spend an hour with all the horror stories of that experiment,” he said.

The CFL has been awarding the Grey Cup for over 100 years. Meanwhile, the original XFL lasted one full season in 2001 and the revival in 2020 played just five weeks before folding due to the pandemic.

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and his associate purchased the bankrupt league for just $15 million and while Cuthbert isn’t opposed to the concept of a post-season bowl game or all-star showcase between the two leagues, he questions whether the league has truly explored all options before rolling over to American star power.

“The government has had a justice committee reviewing a bill that would allow sports betting and the CFL elected not to accept the invitation to be there in committee. Now I’m told that they are filing off their views on it, I thought that was a missed opportunity,” Cuthbert said.

“We’ve been sitting around for a year and have we done anything to talk about revenue sharing? I still think there are things to be done or that could have been done exclusive to joining a league that’s already folded twice.”

While some have championed a move to four-down American rules as a fix-all cure for the CFL’s attendance woes in major markets, Cuthbert dismisses that view entirely.

“The National Football League is the powerhouse of all sports properties. There’s no point in trying to be an NFL lite,” he explained. “Be unique, be different, be the game that Canadians have loved.”

While that is a view shared by many fans, the league’s wealthy owners may prefer another strategy to recoup their pandemic losses. As a fan of the game, Cuthbert is very worried.

“It’s already clear the CFL that we knew is probably in real jeopardy and I’m just hoping we can preserve some of the basic tenets that made the CFL special.”

8 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

You're right, that's the best option. But unless those dud franchises (BC, Toronto, Montreal) turn it around financially, start getting some actual decent attendance (unlikely), I don't think the TV deal grows. I think it disappears. I think TSN would likely drop CFL football if it was a six team league with no presence in the largest markets in Canada. The CFL is in a real dilemma. 

That's what the diehards here don't get. The CFL is becoming irrelevant. It's already like that in Toronto. The league will die anyway with the way things are going. We need to try something new. The definition of insanity is to keep doing things that don't work. If younger fans want to see 4 down football okay well, then that's what has to happen. I love 3 down football but I love the Blue Bombers more. I'll follow them wherever they go. It's all about the Team for me. 

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So to play devil's advocate, are those younger fans suddenly going to start watching a CFL/XFL hybrid with 4 downs or view it as inferior to the NFL and not watch?

If they are anything like the young NFL fans I know, then that's a big fat NO. If CFL players were any good they'd be in the NFL, I'm so often told

38 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So to play devil's advocate, are those younger fans suddenly going to start watching a CFL/XFL hybrid with 4 downs or view it as inferior to the NFL and not watch?

If it's 4 downs they might. They sure won't watch 3 downs because for some reason it's not cool. So, what is there to lose when it comes to that demographic? They won't suddenly start when they're 40. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

46 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's what the diehards here don't get. The CFL is becoming irrelevant. It's already like that in Toronto. The league will die anyway with the way things are going. We need to try something new. The definition of insanity is to keep doing things that don't work. If younger fans want to see 4 down football okay well, then that's what has to happen. I love 3 down football but I love the Blue Bombers more. I'll follow them wherever they go. It's all about the Team for me. 

toronto is not a litmus test though. Out side of the leafs that is the biggest band wagon fan base in canada and one of the biggest in NA. 

Yes the cfl has struggled, carrying 2 markets for too long took a lot out of the league coffers and covid only made it worse. Changes moving forward are needed.  But I know lots and lots of young fans in the primary target range 18-35, in ott, hammer, here, sask of course too. Cal needs a stadium, edm needs some consistency and a stadium, I actually like mtl is very well poised right now.  If the feds hadnt pooched us with covid funds last year I think things would be pretty optimistic. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

toronto is not a litmus test though. Out side of the leafs that is the biggest band wagon fan base in canada and one of the biggest in NA. 

Yes the cfl has struggled, carrying 2 markets for too long took a lot out of the league coffers and covid only made it worse. Changes moving forward are needed.  But I know lots and lots of young fans in the primary target range 18-35, in ott, hammer, here, sask of course too. Cal needs a stadium, edm needs some consistency and a stadium, I actually like mtl is very well poised right now.  If the feds hadnt pooched us with covid funds last year I think things would be pretty optimistic. 

Imagine the CFL trying to pay back $150 million had they got it with interest from the feds? That would have eventually killed the league, I believe. Each team would have to contribute $4 or 5 million a year for decades. Then the Bombers still are carrying their stadium debt on top of that. No way that gets huge loan would ever get paid back. 

I’m still waiting for someone to answer the question

If it’s the same base rules as the NFL, why would I watch it? I’m certainly not interested in watching the Moose (or if you’d like a comparable that doesn’t have a higher league in town, the Goldeyes) and I really won’t be interested in watching the Bombers either.

I like the differences. I like what makes our game special. I don’t need to have all of it - the Canadian ratio especially is one thing that I could live with some adaptation to - but if it’s not 12 on 12, 3 down, 110 yard football ... it’s just going to be something entirely different to me and I’ll have very little interest.

The CFL doesn’t feel like a minor league sport to me. It feels like the most prominent “Canadian Football” league in the world, the best of the best in their sport competing. That’s what I like. We go to a Canadian division in a 4 down, 11 on 11 league? No thanks, I’ll watch the NFL instead. No interest in minor league football.

A CFL/XFL Hybrid that has 12 men, the same rules around motion and kick returns etc, yeah I'd be down for that. A CFL/XFL hybrid with mostly Americans playing by NFL rules. totally less interested. If that's the product, I can watch the NFL.

I'd like to see somebody in the media ask why partnering with a league that has failed twice is such a great idea.

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

They will lose the diehards in order to try to gain a segment of fans that will never settle for less than the NFL. This will never work.

What?

He's been trying to get away from CFL broadcasts for years.  It just took time for him to get out of his contract with TSN.

19 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

He's been trying to get away from CFL broadcasts for years.  It just took time for him to get out of his contract with TSN.

Would LOVE to see your proof on that. Chris Cuthbert is one of the biggest CFL fans going and always has been. 

18 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Bullshit. Guy loves the CFL. He also loves calling NHL games. If I recall it was the nhl that really spring boarded his career, and it's a bigger deal in the sporting world. Hard to fault a guy for wanting to call nhl games.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

If it’s the same base rules as the NFL, why would I watch it? I’m certainly not interested in watching the Moose (or if you’d like a comparable that doesn’t have a higher league in town, the Goldeyes) and I really won’t be interested in watching the Bombers either.

I like the differences. I like what makes our game special. I don’t need to have all of it - the Canadian ratio especially is one thing that I could live with some adaptation to - but if it’s not 12 on 12, 3 down, 110 yard football ... it’s just going to be something entirely different to me and I’ll have very little interest.

The CFL doesn’t feel like a minor league sport to me. It feels like the most prominent “Canadian Football” league in the world, the best of the best in their sport competing. That’s what I like. We go to a Canadian division in a 4 down, 11 on 11 league? No thanks, I’ll watch the NFL instead. No interest in minor league football.

No one can really answer your question because it is a matter of your personal preference. But for others, the appeal would be having a home team to call your own to cheer on and have allegiance to, that you could go to games in person for. Some follow the Goldeyes for that reason, because even if it is not the top league it is the only game in town for baseball. The Moose are a tougher comparison because in the IHL years fans were still mourning the loss of something bigger and had no years of no hockey at all to appreciate having something as opposed to nothing. Then they were an affiliate of Vancouver, who could swoop in and take the best players and ruin a season and nothing could be done about it. But if the 3 down game it what pulls you in, then how many university games do you go to in person? I’m betting none unless you are still in school. You will go because the Bombers, whatever rules they play, will be the best version of football here in the city. And you can have a stronger connection to them than a random NFL team in a foreign city. Changing some rules will not change your emotional attachment to the team. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I have a simple answer to your question, Mike. I've said it once or twice here  already on different threads & certainly on social media on twitter, facebook & Instagram. I'm 65. I've invested nearly 60 years loving the Bombers & the CFL. However, my love for my team runs deeper than my love for 3 down football. I will follow the Bombers wherever they go. I'll never say adios or stop cheering for them. No matter what football they play or league they play in. Not if the alternative is ceasing to exist. 

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

. Changing some rules will not change your emotional attachment to the team. 

I don't know about that,  the fact that the rosters would continually rotate so you wouldn't be able to build bonds or interest in favourite players would be a big impact. 

The change of the rules would only hurt interest as well. 

I kind of like the fact that we have guys who stick around and who we can root for.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Bullshit. Guy loves the CFL. He also loves calling NHL games. If I recall it was the nhl that really spring boarded his career, and it's a bigger deal in the sporting world. Hard to fault a guy for wanting to call nhl games.

Didn't Cuthbert make a name for himself in the 80's when during a CBC HNIC broadcast there was a power failure & as host he had to wing it for awhile n the semi darkness??? Apparently that catapulted his career. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Didn't Cuthbert make a name for himself in the 80's when during a CBC HNIC broadcast there was a power failure & as host he had to wing it for awhile n the semi darkness??? Apparently that catapulted his career. 

This is a truth fact, sir. But he's a rabid CFL fan. IIRC, he grew up a big Ottawa RRs fan... 

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't know about that,  the fact that the rosters would continually rotate so you wouldn't be able to build bonds or interest in favourite players would be a big impact. 

The change of the rules would only hurt interest as well. 

I kind of like the fact that we have guys who stick around and who we can root for.

Players sign one year deals now in the CFL. Player continuity will not get worse if you switch to 4 down football. Not sure how those two things are related. But to each their own. I can only speak for myself and say given the choice of no football or Blue Bombers with modified rules, I will happily take the latter. 
Besides, who says the XFL doesn’t take our rules? They ditched the fair catch for the 5 years halo and added 2 point converts when the NFL and US colleges did not have it, did they not?