RIP Chris Schultz

Nolby

Damn I grew up watching Dave, Matt, Chris, and Jock. It’s news like this that you really do hate to see. 

It was a faux pas, but my most memorable Schultz moment was I believe Michael Bishops first start for the Bombers in 2009. We won 13-12 after the Argos missed a game winning FG. Schultz went on and on about we masterfully “iced” the kicker, only we didn’t. The Argos got a procedure penalty that pushed the kick back.  

10 hours ago, bustamente said:

Larger than life with a great personality who was fun to watch on the panel, truthfully the last few years I can't watch the guys they have on it anymore, big loss in the CFL football community.

He kept guys like Matty & Milt grounded. The panel isn't as good as it was when he was there. I always hoped he'd come back to the panel. This is such sad news. My condolences to his family. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He kept guys like Matty & Milt grounded. The panel isn't as good as it was when he was there. I always hoped he'd come back to the panel. This is such sad news. My condolences to his family. 

I liked Chris because he was good natured and didn't seem to have a vendetta or bias against any team or player like some of the panel members over the years.    

That being said  on here and ourbombers.com it was pretty unanimous that he was the worst panel member and often gave either weird or the completely obvious insights during the half time breakdowns.   It would of been nice if he was kept around as a sideline reporter or doing pre-game videos interviews or something but as a panel member it was much better after he left.  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I liked Chris because he was good natured and didn't seem to have a vendetta or bias against any team or player like some of the panel members over the years.    

That being said  on here and ourbombers.com it was pretty unanimous that he was the worst panel member and often gave either weird or the completely obvious insights during the half time breakdowns.   It would of been nice if he was kept around as a sideline reporter or doing pre-game videos interviews or something but as a panel member it was much better after he left.  

No, disagree. The panel became about Milt mostly & his suits. Or the outrageous things he would say while trying to emulate Deion sanders or Michael Irvin. Matt Dunigan would get fired up & start doing the same thing from a qb perspective like Terry Bradshaw. Then they brought in Burris who just a few short years ago trashed the entire panel during a halftime sideline interview as another talking head who really added nothing to the discussion. Yeah, sometime Schultz had pedestrian views but I believe it came from the position he played. To him, a big play wasn't just about running the ball, catching or throwing. It was about the meat & potatoes of a play. The blocking. The boring stuff that fans don't care about.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2021-03-05 at 11:50 AM, Blueandgold said:

Damn I grew up watching Dave, Matt, Chris, and Jock. It’s news like this that you really do hate to see. 

It was a faux pas, but my most memorable Schultz moment was I believe Michael Bishops first start for the Bombers in 2009. We won 13-12 after the Argos missed a game winning FG. Schultz went on and on about we masterfully “iced” the kicker, only we didn’t. The Argos got a procedure penalty that pushed the kick back.  

Here's the highlights of that "game" if one could call it that.

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Jock Climie was the worst. Even though it's the Riders he used to brag about how he hated the Riders & their fans. All well & good as it is the Riders & it was funny but how would we feel if he said that about the Bombers & us? Climie was a prick. 

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jock Climie was the worst. Even though it's the Riders he used to brag about how he hated the Riders & their fans. All well & good as it is the Riders & it was funny but how would we feel if he said that about the Bombers & us? Climie was a prick. 

Climie was light years better then Milt and Schultz,  he may of had a punchable face but he at least provided some knowledge and insight during his breakdowns.  

Schultz reminded me of Frank Caliendo doing his impression of John Madden and making fun of how John would say such deep insights such as  "The team that scores the more points just might win this game" kind of things.   

Milt was just super generic and even when he was on the 1290 morning show it seemed like he really had a basic knowledge of the guys playing and would just point the obvious things on the known players.  It felt like he didn't really watch the league a whole lot.   

Burris also a punchable face was also much better then those guys.    I preferred however when they had coaches like LaPolice, Benevides ,  Barker on they were much more neutral and informative. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Climie was light years better then Milt and Schultz,  he may of had a punchable face but he at least provided some knowledge and insight during his breakdowns.  

Schultz reminded me of Frank Caliendo doing his impression of John Madden and making fun of how John would say such deep insights such as  "The team that scores the more points just might win this game" kind of things.   

Milt was just super generic and even when he was on the 1290 morning show it seemed like he really had a basic knowledge of the guys playing and would just point the obvious things on the known players.  It felt like he didn't really watch the league a whole lot.   

Burris also a punchable face was also much better then those guys.    I preferred however when they had coaches like LaPolice, Benevides ,  Barker on they were much more neutral and informative. 

That panel needs some defensive players. A different perspective. to what Matt & milt are saying. I still can't stand Climie. No way he was better than what Milt & Schultz were saying because of his damned biases towards certain teams. Barker wasn't there long enough to really judge other than he did bring a coaching perspective. I do know he & Dunigan don't like one another as Barker was fired by the Stamps & Dunigan replaced him as HC & GM. Only to have new owners come in a year later, fire Dunigan & replace him as GM with Barker again. A couple of times you could feel the tension on TV between those 2. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Head Coach Mike O’Shea has issued the following statement regarding this morning’s tragic news of the passing of Chris Schultz:

On behalf of our organization, I would like to express the sadness we share with the Toronto Argonauts organization, everyone at TSN and all members of the media, and everyone else around the CFL who knew Chris. On a personal level, I really liked Schultzy and thought he always did a tremendous job, was well prepared and most importantly, cared deeply about the CFL. Whether he was an opponent, seeing him around stadiums across Canada, or having the opportunity to spend time with him away from the game, these are all memories I will forever cherish. The CFL is filled with countless men and women who make it spectacular, and we lost one of them yesterday.