Sportsnet Discontinues Radio Broadcasts of Blue Jays Games

SpeedFlex27

The cuts keep coming. This time Sportsnet drops coverage of Blue Jays games on radio. The only MLB team to do that. games on radio will be simulcast from their TV broadcasts. Our media is totally ****** in this country. The 2 big monopolies Bell & Rodgers should be broken up before everything is gone. I'm no jays fan but this is craziness. If they can't make money with an audience of at least 5 million in the GTA & games being fed to Sportsnet radio stations across the country, how could they not be making money??? Perhaps our resident radio expert Noeller can explain to us what is going on....

All I know is radio people across Canada are fired up angry about it. It's really just dollars and cents for them. There weren't enough people listening to justify a separate broadcast. The simulcast will sound awful on radio but it'll sav le Rogers money and give the shareholders larger dividends.... Ugh. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

man I wonder how long until non-sports stations get hit, I hope it never comes to that

non sports radio got hit years ago, with clear channel taking over local stations in usa, and iheart radio.

hard to compete with internet. and profit the only business goal.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

man I wonder how long until non-sports stations get hit, I hope it never comes to that

The only constant in life is change. When the books from Guttenberg press became widespread, people moaned that the oral traditions would die out. When newspapers appeared, people moaned that books would become obsolete. When radio made its debut, the death of the printed word was predicted. When TV started, the end of radio was certain. And now that the internet is popular, surely the print media, radio, and TV are doomed. There is room for all, but adaptations are inevitable. Get used to it, folks.