Jump to content

TSN1290 - Shutting Down


JCon
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, what does CJOB do now? They have the Jets and the Bombers, with the coaches show. How do they balance providing sports news without taking away from their regular news and talk shows? They don't want to alienate anyone but some will be looking for more sports content. Tough balancing act. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, what does CJOB do now? They have the Jets and the Bombers, with the coaches show. How do they balance providing sports news without taking away from their regular news and talk shows? They don't want to alienate anyone but some will be looking for more sports content. Tough balancing act. 

They've been doing it for years, so I don't suspect a lot will change. Keep in mind, this isn't the first time they've had the rights to all teams. They've got good, smart people in that building...hopefully Corus is smart and keeps them all happy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

So, what does CJOB do now? They have the Jets and the Bombers, with the coaches show. How do they balance providing sports news without taking away from their regular news and talk shows? They don't want to alienate anyone but some will be looking for more sports content. Tough balancing act. 

They will add more commercials now that they have a captive audience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

They've been doing it for years, so I don't suspect a lot will change. Keep in mind, this isn't the first time they've had the rights to all teams. They've got good, smart people in that building...hopefully Corus is smart and keeps them all happy. 

As the only radio station carrying the Jets & Bombers they'll take it on & increase their sports content. I look for their sports department to grow by at least 2 people. More sportstalk in the evening, perhaps?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Oh my that will draw them in

 

That's....new at least to me it is, what will they broadcast? JFL's archives? Vinyl Cafe reruns? Air Farce radio archives? something totally and completely new (let's face it the content I named aren't possible because CBC has a tight hold on them)

Edited by iHeart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not surprising since radio *should* be a dying business,  it still really sucks.   I can't imagine enough local interest in the guys going on their own and running a youtube, podcast, something else as a full time job.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was the station losing money?

paying three morning, the noon guy, and two afternoon guys plus support.

 not enough people listening I guess.

just sports all day always seemed a bit boring to me.

 

 

Edited by Mark F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tracker said:

With handing the Jet audiocast over to CJOB, it sure looks like this was planned for some time.

I would be curious to see the timeline on this. Did they bid and fail? Did they not bid at all? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

so the Comedy thing....they've been doing this for awhile now. Did it in Calgary about 10 years ago....and other markets as well. It's extremely cheap for them because there's no announcers, basically. It's all pre-programmed stuff that is CHEEEEEEEEAP. It's a major $$$ saver for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Noeller said:

so the Comedy thing....they've been doing this for awhile now. Did it in Calgary about 10 years ago....and other markets as well. It's extremely cheap for them because there's no announcers, basically. It's all pre-programmed stuff that is CHEEEEEEEEAP. It's a major $$$ saver for them. 

TSN1290 was comedy, I'm sure, before they switched up to sports, bringing in the ESPN coverage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...