TSN1290 - Shutting Down

JCon

• 2 months later...

well that's intriguing... nobody can compete with QX. Companies have tried and failed over and over again. Winnipeg just isn't that much of a Country music city to have that many country stations. The NCI/APTN folks are desperately trying with Now 104 and NCI, but the ratings are dismal. Not sure how Corus figures another Country station is a good idea..... unless they're planning on syndicating most of it with out of province voices to keep the costs way down so the ratings don't matter....?? Curious decision anyhow...

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Oh that NOW

so according to a very observant member of the RadioWest message board, once Country 99 launches there will be a grand total of 8 Country music stations in Manitoba

CFRY - 920 - Portage
CKMW - 88.9 - Winkler (COUNTRY 88)
CHPO - 93.1 - Portage (COUNTRY 93.1)
CFPG - 99.1 - Winnipeg (COUNTRY 99)
CFQX - 104.1 - Selkirk (QX 104)
CIUR - 104.7 -Winnipeg (NOW COUNTRY)
CICY - 105.5 - Selkirk (NCI) (Indigenous.....but primarily Country)
CJXR - 107.7 - Steinbach (COUNTRY 107.7)

Edited by iHeart

1 minute ago, iHeart said:

whatever I'm only listening to CFRY right now because they have the rights to Gipp Forster's It Feels Like Christmas (I will admit I wish it as still on CJOB because that jingle is just not the same without "On CJOB" add-on)

Childhood memories 

It feels like Christmas... on cjob 

Basically only radio station we got at the lake 

7 hours ago, iHeart said:

Oh that NOW

so according to a very observant member of the RadioWest message board, once Country 99 launches there will be a grand total of 8 Country music stations in Manitoba

CFRY - 920 - Portage
CKMW - 88.9 - Winkler (COUNTRY 88)
CHPO - 93.1 - Portage (COUNTRY 93.1)
CFPG - 99.1 - Winnipeg (COUNTRY 99)
CFQX - 104.1 - Selkirk (QX 104)
CIUR - 104.7 -Winnipeg (NOW COUNTRY)
CICY - 105.5 - Selkirk (NCI) (Indigenous.....but primarily Country)
CJXR - 107.7 - Steinbach (COUNTRY 107.7)

Q Country Brandon 

CKDM Dauphin (mix of Country/Classic Rock) 

10 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Tom McGouran went to that station. 

he did, indeed.... and another Winnipeg Rock radio icon in the PMs...... they really don't care too much about the Country music genre over there. It's more about "entertainment", which is fine.... regardless, nobody's keeping up with QX. They just destroy everyone. I'm not sure how the other ones are even staying afloat, with (among) the lowest ratings in the city...

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently the new Corus Country station that replaced Peggy.... Mornings are syndicated from Edmonton, Midday and Afternoons from Calgary. Nothing out of Winnipeg so far, is my understanding. Will be very generic on air content, I suppose.