TSN1290 - Shutting Down

JCon

10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Checked it out, thought it was a live broadcast of guys fishing!

ha ha no, not that one......but I do watch live broadcasts of guys fishing sometimes. I'm a big fan of Keewatin's Jeff "Gussy" Gustafsson, who competes on the Bass Master Elite Series Tour in the US, and they have actual live TV coverage of that (it's kinda similar to golf coverage) and can't believe how addicting it is to watch....yeeeesh. Friggin' bass fishing on TV (actually on my laptop, because it's online...) 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this because the station that replaced TSN 1290 is being shut down now too

no personalities just clips from comedy albums....I wonder what the last routine was it opened with Ellen Degeneres

Edited by iHeart

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Neither Dustin nor Rishaug are going anywhere. Dustin's day job will likely change a bit.

Hope not. On WST it was implied, at least the way I interpreted it was Neilson was done entirely at TSN. His Twitter also made it seem as though he was done - but hope that's not the case again.

Rishaug, I assume is safe as you mentioned, for being in charge of the Oilers beat if nothing else

22 hours ago, iHeart said:

Bumping this because the station that replaced TSN 1290 is being shut down now too

no personalities just clips from comedy albums....I wonder what the last routine was it opened with Ellen Degeneres

1290 was fun when they went head to head with OB for local news.

I ******* HATE seeing people lose their jobs in this industry, but I also fully understand the realities of AM radio in the modern world. It just always seems to be Bell doing this stuff. Harvard had a big dump day recently, too, and Rogers is no stranger to it... But it sure feels like Bell does it most often.

So it appears Matty Geebs was partially right about Dustin Nielsen's fallout in all of this. It seems there was a disconnect within Bell. In laying off the TSN Radio Edmonton staff, they somehow forgot he's a lynchpin of the CFL on TSN crew. This did not go over well with EPs at CFL on TSN (which sort of runs independently) and it looks like there's going to be something worked out to keep him in that family. 

******* Bell.....

• 3 months later...

rumour I'm hearing so far is that Corus is going to run 99.1 as an FM repeater of CJOB. Not confirmed, but that's the strong rumour. We shall see what happens. As always, I feel horrible for the employees tossed on their ass. Can't even imagine........though I kind of can. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

rumour I'm hearing so far is that Corus is going to run 99.1 as an FM repeater of CJOB. Not confirmed, but that's the strong rumour. We shall see what happens. As always, I feel horrible for the employees tossed on their ass. Can't even imagine........though I kind of can. 

oh my god I think they're preparing for an AM radio free Winnipeg or something (but it kind of sounds similar to what happened to KY58, because after it shut down for awhile we heard a little bit of 102.3 Clear fm (as it was called at the time I miss that) on the 580 frequency

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Is there a benefit to running it as a repeater on an FM station or is it just the cheapest thing to do?   Seems to me anyone who has a FM radio already has AM and AM has a longer range.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Is there a benefit to running it as a repeater on an FM station or is it just the cheapest thing to do?   Seems to me anyone who has a FM radio already has AM and AM has a longer range.

this. Corus did it with their news outlet in Calgary recently, and the rumour is that they're going to do that in Winnipeg as well. It's all about saving money.... cutting all staff to the bare minimum. There's only so many ads you can sell in a province this size, so the only way to increase the margins is to cut costs to the bone. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Corus did that in Calgary this year. Q107 which was a very good rock station i was suddenly shut down on Dec 23rd last year throwing a bunch of DJ's out of work. After Xmas, they made Q107 into CHQR107 & just converted to all talk radio simulcasting the AM talk. It's shitty. I guess it's cheaper to just repeat what is being talked about on AM radio as no salaries playing rock music. I also read that new vehicles no longer have AM on their radios so I guess this is where things are going. 

One DJ named Tarzan Dan who was the most popular DJ in Calgary (he did the drive home shift) on Q107 on his last shift just played the music he wanted to. Not what the programming said he had to. I remember him saying, "What are they gonna do?? Fire me???" Good for him. He now works part time for another station. . 

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Corus did that in Calgary this year. Q107 which was a very good rock station i was suddenly shut down on Dec 23rd last year throwing a bunch of DJ's out of work. After Xmas, they made Q107 into CHQR107 & just converted to all talk radio simulcasting the AM talk. It's shitty. I guess it's cheaper to just repeat what is being talked about on AM radio as no salaries playing rock music. I also read that new vehicles no longer have AM on their radios so I guess this is where things are going. 

One DJ named Tarzan Dan who was the most popular DJ in Calgary (he did the drive home shift) on Q107 on his last shift just played the music he wanted to. Not what the programming said he had to. I remember him saying, "What are they gonna do?? Fire me???" Good for him. He now works part time for another station. . 

is this a different Tarzan Dan or the same one that hosted the hit list on YTV