TSN1290 - Shutting Down

JCon

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Guys we are not banned from talking about Kodi ;)

Is it? TSN Vancouver gone but they still have Sportsnet Vancouver. TSN Hamilton gone but it's beside TSN Toronto. Only Winnipeg without one.

Yes, it's dying. Look around you & see the landscape. How many reporters now cover the Bombers as compared to 30 years ago? Fifty years ago? How is local coverage of sports like the Blue Bombers other than the Jets stack up to that time period back then? Even a decade ago? In Calgary, we now have one beat writer who covers the Stamps for 2 daily newspapers. The Herald & Sun. There isn't even competition between papers anymore as the same stories appear in the Herald & Sun.

I remember a time (circa 1969) when both the Free Press & Tribune had marquis coverage of the Bombers with outstanding writers like Don Blanchard of the Freep & Jack Matheson of the Trib covering the team. You'd want to read both papers to see what they wrote. Especially after a bad loss or when some big story on the team broke. They were MUST READS! CKY radio had Tom McCullough. CJAY TV had Jack Wells & Stew MacPherson covering the Bombers. CJOB had Ken Nicholson. CBC had Bob Picken, Don Wittman & Ernie Nairn on both radio & television. CKRC had a sports guy covering the team but I don't remember who he was. 

Then you had columnists in both dailies like Hal Sigurdson, Ed Deardon, Reyn Davis, Elman Guttormson with the Free Press & John Robertson with the Tribune who covered the Bombers as well. There were others but I honestly can't remember their names especially with the Tribune. Let's just say that at every Bomber game a minimum of 3 or 4 sportswriters each from both papers covered the team in the 60's & 70's along with sportscasters from Winnipeg radio & tv stations.

You had national sportswriters like Jim Coleman, Jim Proudfoot & Scott Young covering the CFL as well as the NHL nationally, Sportscasts that used to be 11 minutes long in the evening on tv back then are 5 minutes now. Local Sports Departments for print media, radio & tv have been gutted.  Local community sports barely gets mentioned. 

Rodgers, Bell & the Internet have all contributed to the death spiral of sports coverage locally in this country. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 3 weeks later...

similarly......... I'm a massive fishing fanatic, and there's a really great Facebook Live "Podcast" called The Casting Deck that a group of Winnipeg guys do every week. It's not the GREATEST thing of all time, but it's pretty good, if anyone else is into that sorta thing....

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

what's going on with the parent company? I just found out that 99.9 Bob fm is now 99.9 Bounce fm that's the second format change this year

https://www.iheartradio.ca/bounce/winnipeg

With Bell? They're a horrible company that treats it's employees with almost as much disdain as it's customers. 

But, I think this is just a rebranding/format change, very common in the radio business. 

6 minutes ago, iHeart said:

we'd better keep an eye on Q94 that station has been around forever and god knows what will happen if that's next

Q94 is 94.3 The Drive. 

"Bob" is almost 20 years old. That's a long time for a brand and format. 

Soon, we'll get Kiss FM back. 

EDIT: HA! We already do. 

Edited by JCon

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

sorry I meant QX104

Doubt it. It's the number one FM station and I'm certain it captures an ideal piece of the market. 

But, I could see them rebranding, if they think it's stale, but keeping country music format. 

Going to need to lean on @Noeller for his expertise on this one. 

Jesus....I'm behind on the news. Let me get caught up and see if I can contribute here. QX won't change much...they're untouchable. Absolutely dominant in the Winnipeg market. If the "Bounce" format is the same as others, then it's a hip-hop/dance/EDM kinda thing? That would be curious in the Winnipeg market....I'll go do some reading...

*edit*

Just looks like they're doing away with the BOB name....that's about all that's going on. Not sure if Howard Kroeger, who owns the rights to the name, is shutting it down, or is maybe charging more money for it or what....but all that's happening is a name change. I'll have to check on the "Jack" formats out west, which are related. Anyhow, format and announcers all staying the same at 94.3 in Wpg....good to hear. 

Edited by Noeller

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Its before the iHearts time but Q94 was #1 on the FM dial for like forever and for some reason they changed things up and that was that for them.

I had a buddy who was a DJ back then. I remember getting a tour of the place and I got the Rick Dees Top 40 CD that week too. I sat in while he cut in with promos during the show but it pretty much just played from the CD. 

9 hours ago, JCon said:

I had a buddy who was a DJ back then. I remember getting a tour of the place and I got the Rick Dees Top 40 CD that week too. I sat in while he cut in with promos during the show but it pretty much just played from the CD. 

Yeah, we download all that stuff off a server these days. Most stations use a mix of syndicated features and pre-recorded announcers (voice tracking) to fill up weekends. 

I'm intensely passionate about the Winnipeg (and Manitoba, overall...) media scene, but obviously don't get to listen in as much as I'd like. Technology like Radio Player Canada and iHeart Radio are helpful, for sure. It's been mentioned that Winnipeg has several stations playing very similar "Classic Rock" stuff... I really feel like Winnipeg has a LARGE demographic that likes that style of music, so they can get away with more stations splitting the advertising pie for that format. 

On 2021-03-04 at 12:04 PM, Noeller said:

similarly......... I'm a massive fishing fanatic, and there's a really great Facebook Live "Podcast" called The Casting Deck that a group of Winnipeg guys do every week. It's not the GREATEST thing of all time, but it's pretty good, if anyone else is into that sorta thing....

I'm an avid fisherman as well, even bought a place 700 km north of winnipeg because of the fishing, so thanks for the tip. I will check it out for sure. I love watching Aaron Wiebe, and Jay Siemens on YT to get my MB fix as well.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I'm an avid fisherman as well, even bought a place 700 km north of winnipeg because of the fishing, so thanks for the tip. I will check it out for sure. I love watching Aaron Wiebe, and Jay Siemens on YT to get my MB fix as well.

Wiebe is the GOAT for YouTube guys. Jay is solid, if a little bit "Magoo" at times. Clayton Schick, also a part of their "shared universe" is solid, and Tom Boley (Wisconsin guy) might be the best overall fisherman of all of them, and has solid vids. Congrats on the property up north...that's the dream! I'm perpetually on the hunt for work in The Shield so I can fish every single damn day of my life....

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, we download all that stuff off a server these days. Most stations use a mix of syndicated features and pre-recorded announcers (voice tracking) to fill up weekends. 

I'm intensely passionate about the Winnipeg (and Manitoba, overall...) media scene, but obviously don't get to listen in as much as I'd like. Technology like Radio Player Canada and iHeart Radio are helpful, for sure. It's been mentioned that Winnipeg has several stations playing very similar "Classic Rock" stuff... I really feel like Winnipeg has a LARGE demographic that likes that style of music, so they can get away with more stations splitting the advertising pie for that format. 

That demographic tends to be a pretty good market to advertise to as well.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Wiebe is the GOAT for YouTube guys. Jay is solid, if a little bit "Magoo" at times. Clayton Schick, also a part of their "shared universe" is solid, and Tom Boley (Wisconsin guy) might be the best overall fisherman of all of them, and has solid vids. Congrats on the property up north...that's the dream! I'm perpetually on the hunt for work in The Shield so I can fish every single damn day of my life....

Dude...just retire and live the dream...lol. I agree with WIebe being Magoo but without him there would be no Wiebe. He does excellent production in every aspect of his and Aaron's videos. Schick is an up and comer, a Saskatchewan boy who quickly realized that fishing Manitoba is better. I've had this property for nearly 25 years now and had some businesses (now only one seasonal) in Thompson so I purchased it as a place to stay when business needed me North. Now I spend most of my spring/summer/fall there and drive to Wpg only for Bomber games in the summer. Lol.

On 2021-03-04 at 12:04 PM, Noeller said:

Checked it out, thought it was a live broadcast of guys fishing!